Wildlife Encounters

• Wiley Coyote

IMG_5181.jpg

I happened to have my best camera handy and got a few timely shots from an upstairs window. 📷

• BIG ARGUMENT FOR A BIRDS THREAD!!!!!
    and here I was about ready to go spend the winter to bond with my bro David! Not so much the rest.

😉

• @toby said in Wildlife Encounters:

Wiley Coyote

Coyotes are everywhere, right? If there are people, there are coyotes. And even in some places there are no people (other than short-term visitors) there are coyotes.

So why aren't there any coyotes here? We have pretty much all the wildland fauna you would expect in a NorthWest mountain region (okay, in BC it's the SouthWest). Bears, deer, lions, etc etc. But no one I have talked to since I moved here has ever seen or heard of a coyote.

Seems almost unbelievable. Yeah, we are isolated by the fjords of the BC coast, so if you want to visit, you'll have to take two ferries, but what has stopped the coyotes from crossing the mountain passes to get here? The bears made it. The deer made it. The lions made it?

• Hard Winter.

IMG_5182.jpg

Ranchers with rifles.... way down south on the border of the badlands... move along Wily, move along.

@was-dar Sorry dude. There were already a few bird pics here. I don't have many bird shots. Never fear, when/if things start going to the actual birds I can always fork. We shall see, eh? It is nice to have a menagerie in this thread as well. Makes for an interesting experience. Do we see so much wildlife that we need sub categories? Hmm... We shall see.

• Desperate Times

IMG_5183.jpg

Yeah, I do dig 'yotes. Long as everyone minds their respective places and spaces... Risky move for the 'yote to be out in the open, during daylight hours like that. Glad it didn't get shot. This day, at the least.

• amazeing osprey shot. one of the coolest things I have seen was a large retail hawk flying alongside my car up a ravine so that I got a good long look at it. he had a live snake in his talons..

• @NickG Cool. I have some niche raptor niches out back. Redtail, Northern Harriers, a.k.a. Marsh Hawk (wh/I prefer), Kestrel, the occasional Peregrine.

Hard to catch them on camera, however, because they're always moving when they're doing something interesting and you're pretty much going to want a bit of a lens ... I just have a small travel camera, less than ideally suited for such shots but I'll try and see what I can do.

Zoom is difficult on these lil' travel puppies. Mid range is fine but lose quick at distances. Even with a steady hand. I'm pretty sure, for e.g., that the coyote shots above were braced by siding of second floor window I was shooting out of. Yep. Like all things the 'lil pupsters do have their limitations. They are convenient and damn handy to have either on or close at hand though.... And you know what the pros say about the best camera.... 👍 📷

• Hmm.... What Have We Here....

IMG_5184.jpg

What is that I hear twitchin' and itchin'.....

• @toby said in Wildlife Encounters:

IMG_5289.jpg

I'll see ya' Deep in the ferns - wild ! & raise with "A Deeper in the woods than is good for a Gnome"

P5230093-740x555.jpg

• And... Pounce...

IMG_5185.jpg

Coyote "pouncing" through crust, hunting furry little rodents and such. I watched this critter for quite some while. The sequence of photos captures the routine: listen, creep, prep, pounce. Repeat. Did witness some success but had to work pretty hard at it. Like most things in nature: Ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Note: It gets pretty cold here come deep winter and these critters living wild & free, with all that entails, always amaze me.

• My back yard, an hour ago. Photo ain't great because it was dusk and because there was no way I was getting any closer (or, rather, any farther from my door).

Bear.jpg

And yeah, it was bigger than it looks in the photo. As big a black bear as I've ever seen.

• @David-Harris "How significant!" Makes me glad that we live in the desert, with smaller marauders. We had three Racoons at our front door last night, but I did not get a photo. This one is a few years back, on our porch. Cat and Racoon 021.jpg