Wildlife Encounters

• It made me wonder what their mating ritual looked like 🙂

• @David-Harris

For inquiring minds: Heloderma suspectum 🕵

• Our 5 acre "ranchette" has a spring creek on it & is adjacent to the much-larger Choss Creek valley. The abundant aquatic insects fuel a lot of small wildlife that enjoys visiting our fruit trees & Heidi's garden. Most of the critters get to interact with us in peace.

Racoons tend to come & go, since in this area they also carry rabies. Darn they are cute & fun. These were hanging out in our porch cat-house.
    Cat and Racoon 018- small.jpg

We have a small but active population of Gopher Snakes aka Bull Snakes, who patrol our property for mice. Curiously, they are all named Ralph. Ralph looks up in this photo & says Hi!
    IMG_4761.JPG

We often have otters visiting, but have not yet produced a photo & years back Heidi had a Bobcat on the back porch. Of course we have rabbits, skunks, marmots, aka rock chucks, & an occasional porcupine, which enjoy girdling our fruit trees. And Mule deer, although our horse-fence mostly discourages them from visiting, which is why its there. Heidi's garden is fenced a little more tightly against deer, marmots, skunks, racoons, & rabbits.

We have 3 types of lizards, including the somewhat rare & quick Skinks.

IMG_9624.JPG

It appears the apex preditors here are the two Great Horned Owls which live here about 9 months a year.

IMG_4235.JPG

IMG_4270.JPG

And the smallest, but most active birds are the Hummingbirds, which have declined markedly here in the last 25 years, with Global Warming. Always fun to find & watch their tiny nests.

IMG_3399-small.jpg

IMG_3403-small.jpg

And our insects, who consider Heidi their friend.

IMG_2055.JPG

• @FritzRay Heh, "Ralph" looks to be pretty well fed. No shortage of mice despite Harley, eh?

Think this is first time I've ever "seen" a hummingbird nest. Ditto the skink. Cool stuff. 👍

Iirc, Mantids are the only insects capable of rotating their heads a full 180 degrees and also have stereoscopic vision? One of my favorite prof's from bitd is an entomologist and would lay these kinds of cool facts no us. I also recall that most Mantids we encounter are introduced rather than native species? I guess the Chinese immigrants enslaved by the railroads used to bring w/them for good luck or some such? Hell of an ocean voyage, if so.

Got to watch those raccoons - they can make a heck of a mess, get territorial and be pretty aggressive. You seem to have no shortage of firearms though, so maybe less of a concern?

In any case, good thing I don't reside at "The Ranchette" cuz the biologist in me would preclude the IT geek in me from ever getting any "work" done. 😜

• If there was an "Unclear On The Concept" award, this woman would win it. And not just in the "Wildlife" category, but the overall award...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI

(Yes, it's Youtube, but it's audio only)

• @David-Harris

Lol! Surely this woman is punking us. I wonder how long she had to practice this to be able to maintain throughout the exchange. 🤣

Here's yer' sign...

• Miserable Trout

miserabletrout.jpg

I witnessed the actual capture, had my best camera handy. Hand held zoom. Was able to get a few quick shots.

Click? What are you looking at, eh?

ospreyclick.jpg

I Spy, with my Eye in the Sky....

osprespywithmybigeye.jpg

unwaryducklings.jpg

Hmm.... I wonder what else might be on the dinner menu, eh?

• Told this one on ST:

Not actually a sighting but memorable.

Was hiking off trail looking for the best approach to a climb of Mt. Tom's north ridge (Sierra). Wandered into a copse of aspens and spotted a deer carcass. Checking it out, soon found two more deer carcasses. It slowly dawned on me I was in a cougar lunchroom. The kills were relatively recent.

Got the feeling I was being watched. Slowly backed out facing the kills, looking behind me occasionally. After backing up around 200 yards, turned around and boogied the hell out of there.

• @johntp Sounds like a wild life encounter to me. Got to mind the ambush predators.

ST is history. We know it came, went, and slipped into the sunset. Some denizens of yore may well have minds like steel traps, for the rest of us just cut to the chase and tell it here like you'd retell a favorite story in the real if you deem it worthy, eh? 👍

• Toby! Nice Osprey & prey photos.

Heidi got this one from our raft on a 2006 Middle Fork Salmon trip that turned into an epic adventure, after a big thunderstorm caused a logjam on the river.

7-22 middle fork salmon 008.jpg

• Sometimes you don't have to venture far into the wilderness to encounter wildlife.

Basil & friend 02.jpg

But when you encounter it in your front yard, the question is: Just what is wild and what isn't? The deadliest creature in this photo -- by far -- is that lovable little guy in front, while the big "wild" one behind is timid and harms only vegetables.

And then there's the photographer, who looks at that deer and thinks... Venison!

• @FritzRay

Nice shooting action! 📷 👍

And a nicely sized fish, indeed! 🐟

• IMG_5880.jpg

IMG_5883.jpg

IMG_5884.jpg

IMG_5885.jpg

• I See Your Dragon fly
    IMG_6455 (2)868x500.JPG

• IMG_5289.jpg

• Please, will one of the real bird photographers from ST consider posting? I'm not sure if it's considered better form to link or upload a photo, but he's an uploaded. My first call (size, location Seattle/Aug-26-2019) was an immature Cali-Gull.

P1030682.jpg

• @was-dar Both will get the job done but locally uploaded will provide better performance. Ya' didn't groove on my Osprey shots in Wildlife Encounters thread, eh?

• sorry, I knew I was missing something, like the Wildlife Encounters"

• @was-dar said in Wildlife Encounters:

My first call (size, location Seattle/Aug-26-2019) was an immature Cali-Gull.

I thought I'd set everyone straight about birds back on the ST forum. Y'all get messed up over whether that one feather on the tail or the tip of the wing is light gray... or light brown.

Waste of time. Bird classification is simple: There are only two kinds of birds. Those that are good to eat, and those that are not. Okay?