Van Build

• I still would like to get a fridge at some point. What brand is the one you have there? How d'ya like it so far?

• link text Don't have it in the van yet. van is having some body work done and I am not ready to install it. Right now it is in the sun room which is the hottest room in the cabin. Fist take is that it is really big. 2nd take is its pretty noisy. Its just a fan noise, you don't really hear the compressor. Keeps stuff nice an cold and gets cold quick. Would not supprise me if we end up turning it off while sleeping??? we don't eat meat so its just veggies,cheese and yogurt etc. save battery and be quieter and cooler in the van. unit like all fridges gives off some heat. they do come in lots of sizes. It does seem to be quite rugged.

• COSTWAY Car Freezer, 63 Quart Compressor Travel Refrigerator -4°F to 50°F, Portable and Compact Vehicle Electric Cooler Fridge, For Car, Home, Camping, Truck Party(63-Quart)

• @NickG Interesting - The really only reason I want a fridge is for meat, cold drinks and ice cream. As it is, if I make a meat dish, I have to eat within two meals or don't feel comfy. I DO go with NO fridge or even ice in a cooler, with no problems since 2010, but meat...gotta be careful. Vegetables/cheese/eggs/butter - they don't go bad. Just slice off the mushy, moldy, crusty - hahaha. But....ice cream....

• @NickG said in Van Build:

COSTWAY Car Freezer, 63 Quart Compressor Travel Refrigerator - wow , the price is less than I expected. Of course, one needs the system to run it... I think you would be fine to turn off at night, just don't open after shut down.

• @Happiegrrrl

Would depend on the R value of the insulation. Creating a "Cold Reservoir" w/a couple gallons bottles of frozen water will help sustain temperature when not running. Also then available for emergency uses if you get way off grid and find yourself broken down and in need of such.

• we did 2 months severl times with no ice (makes a mess and is expensive) Just the cooler. I got sick of wilted lettuce and slimy tomatoes... they go fast in a hot van.. It will super cool to come back from climbing an have cold fresh vs warm and runny yougurt, ice cold seltzer and crisp fresh lettuce... etc. wicked stoked.. batteries arrived today so I can make the compartment for them even though I don't have the van at home.

• Toby, we never go deep without at least 5 gallons of water in the rig.

• @NickG

Preachin' to the choir. Don't know how many times I "rescued" some stranded rig. And not just off road. Anywhere out in the desert even paved pre cell phone days.

Same kind of common sense precautions apply if you live in Alaska: a warm coat permanently stashed behind the seat w/both a lighter and waterproof/windproof matches/fire starters zipped up in one of the pockets. A bit of steel wool can come in handy as well. Cuz you can wait pretty much anything out except hypothermia.

Amazes me how many people are totally unprepared and reliant up external help/rescue these days. I guess that comes w/the ubiquity of cell and satellite phones? Not my scene. Prefer to be as self reliant as possible. Cannot be prepared for everything, however, and shit will happen so it's also ill advised to get too cocky and tempt fate.

P.S.; Oh yeah, don't forget the fire extinguisher. Yeah, I actually had to use mine once on some other persons car that overheated and caught fire. I was like; "Holy fuck, that lady's engine campartment is on fire." Heading on up the "Grapevine" no less. Just reacted w/o thinking. Glad nothing blew up in my face. My little unit dampened it out enough for a trucker who'd also pulled over to finish up the job w/his big rig extinguisher.

• used the fire extinguisher on both Vanagons.. the valve cover gaskets leak on to the manifold and catch on fire... when traveling in a vanegon I also carry spare valve cover gasket.

• Just barely got Kermit back from the body shop this evening. Busy week coming up but hopefully make some progress soon...

• insulated the rear doors and paneled them today. also started a bit of electrical work and a new air filter.

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2244a.jpg

• IMG_2252.jpg

• @NickG Nice job, mon! 👍

What's next, eh? Cannot tell if you got that fridge installed? Kinda thinking not yet. Pondering where/how you might fit it in. But I'm sure you've got it figured. 🐕

• need to run all my wireing gangs do a bunch of insulation , install one more big window and start paneling. but I have to insulate and panel to mount my circuit breaker box but have to run wires before I panel so its a bit of a catch 22. been working too much and entertaining guests so not much happened last week. working photo gig today but will hit the lumber yard on the way to work and hopefully get a full day in tomorrow.

• gally goes right under that small window in the last photo.