What I really need. Someone to take my book and help me put it into digital format.

• Check your email.

• Russ has good advice with "hit the brakes and get it sorted out before you do anything else"

• @MikeBolte Thanks.
    I'm just offering to help. In for a penny... ha ha ha...

• @RussWalling It's not a bunch of stuff in a box! Please. But I am at the point where we are sorting it out. I have talked to Dean F. I am doing some rough formatting to get the creative ideas down and have something to show publishers.

• Hey all, my first post....So, Thought I would chime in as I have been involved with this sort of thing in the past and its always been helping someone else. First, no matter how beautiful or rare or any of that, you won't make any money! Sad, but if you make any it probably won't even be enough to break close to even. And this is if you self publish. If someone else does the work and has ALL the connections of different distribution hubs then they will want a larger piece of the pie, like the best part leaving only a small percentage for the actual author. I had a pic published in John Longs ' Trad Climbers Bible' book. That was just pretty cool for me and I thought it was a really cool book with lots of Greg Epperson pics and lots of John's great writing and advice. I may be wrong, but I've never seen the book in any stores like REI and its a struggle to even find it . I thought for sure this would be a best seller. Then there's the climbing guide books issue with nobody really doing that so much these days with everything online. So, I hate to dissuade you and hope not too. Just know that its always a work of passion and art first....the rest is what it is.

• @Radish

Welcome and thanks for chipping in the voice of experience.

I am not sure necessarily as harsh as you describe, however, as I have known authors who received monies up front for writing the book, and then royalties to follow. No clue about the latter but the former ran in the $20-$30K range. Those were technical books written by subject matter experts, so ymmv. I'd argue that Lynne and Tony qualify.

On a more encouraging and positive note: Works of passion are the most rewarding. It's all you get to take with you over the long haul. ✨

• Yea, I guess I did make sound pretty doom and gloom and I do hope that some make it on their projects. I meet Lynne last year at Bridwells Memorial and she is totally up to the task! Besides, money doesn't count in the mountains. Showing up at a camp after a hard day at it on the rock and being recognized and offered a cold beer makes one pretty rich!

• @Radish Thanks Radish! I'm sure I know you, but not by Radish. 🙂

• @Radish Trust me, Yerian and I did not do this for bank! 10 plus off and on years of pretty hard work. Our goal.....to produce a book as loved and memorable as Yosemite Climber. I talked to George Meyers recently. What a great person with good advice. Yerian and I just want the best book possible and I'd love to recoupe my expenses.

• @steelmonkey Steelmonkey, you have already helped immensely and are so appreciated!!

Edit: a lil' help from yer' friends. 🐕

• @LynneLeicht Perhaps get in touch with Jim Herrington. I have his book "The Climbers" here beside me and it is beautifully done by the Mountaineers. But I don't know if these kinds of books are popular these days. I suspect Jim hasn't made much money (if any) off this heavy coffee-table work. I've done several books on Blurb.com but never for a profit. Their software was pretty good, however.

• @jgill Thanks for your comments, John. I'll check out his book if I can find it. So many thousands of people go thru Yosemite....some will like it. I worked in and ordered books, cards etc. for Tioga Pass Resorts store so I have a slight feel for some of this. Yerian created some very cool, eclectic cards of Tuolumne and the Valley that sold pretty well.

• @LynneLeicht said in What I really need. Someone to take my book and help me put it into digital format.:

@steelmonkey Steelmonkey, you have already helped immensley and are so apprecited!!

Hm. . . ?It was a proof read/edit & I'm Glad that got sorted out! !
    I know . . .no more nitpicking

I was excited to hear about this project; I wanted to offer to help in any way & still do.
    I checked with the person I know in publishing, she is old?! how could that be?

I told my wife that you guys were the old-time, old school climber folk,
    The great ones, who we once skied with & lived in the dirt with. The last of the flower children, who remembered the summer of love vibe.
    Who would & did give us the shirt off their backs, the last gallon of gas - The utopian-ists
    She said "oh, you mean the ruthless sand-baggers?"
    We were discussing poetry & quotes and such.
    As for the issues that will arise when looking for & working WITH (& not for) a Publisher,
    1st, get a Literary Agent? (Like Insurance, Before you talk to any publisher)
    or designate someone to be the one who you delegate the task of receiving mail;
    That sort of at least declares that you have one.

• May i suggest talking to Kevin Daniels (KD Publishing) while you are here this week? He publishes quality books, and probably has the resources you need to do this cleanly.

• @The-Gnome Nit Pik all you want. I can't figure out how to use edit. I click on it and nothing happens. I did try to correct those errors.....

• Let me see if I can help

I am using an iPad

Posted

Ok

Tapped three buttons

Lower part of scree showed tools
    Edit
    Delete
    Edit history

Tapped edit

Made changes

Ok

Posted

Tapping edit should get you into original message

If it doesn't better ask Kunte Kinte

• @LynneLeicht Rene' Ardesch and I'm Marty Maine's good buddy for many years. We work together in Sequoia National Park.

• @Radish Oh, yes, remember you well! Cheers! zBrown, I did do that about 10 times and gave up. I have edited my words here before. Oh, could be internet....I'm out in the mountains.

Edit: See above. Fixed it for you, Lynne. 🐕

• I am not published but I have been involved w/a couple tech books as reviewer from very early stages, e.g. the first edition of this one https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9627346-css

Thought I'd add a bit to the most popular thread of the last few days and post some bits fer' perpetuity that aspiring authors may find helpful:

• Separate "form" (looks) from "content" (what you are writing).

• One may then apply "transforms" (i.e. style sheets) to the content to generate different "forms" of publication w/o having to re-edit a bunch of font size, styles, etc., for e.g. pdf, epub, printed page. Many predefined style sheets have been perfected over the years for common publication formats, e.g. MLA, APA, Chicago Style, including most academic journals.

• Separating content from appearance also really helps your "flow" from being interrupted by aesthetic concerns. Label headings, lists, etc. and get on with it. The style sheets will handle presentation side consistently.

• Don't use a proprietary "binary" file formats => vendor lock in, i.e. tied to apron strings and years later you may no longer even be able to access. For e.g. some old Word Perfect stuff I wrote. Also whatever MS had pre Word (maybe MS Works???). If you must/want to use office suite applications, use Open Document Format.

• Store file in "ascii" or "plain text". Then can access via text editor if choice. A very comprehensive and popular one with coders is Sublime.

• While such ups the ante a fair bit for non coders not already familiar, use a Version Control System (VCS) to track your changes. Such have been in existence since the earliest days of 'puters. Current leader of the pack is Git.

My kid used Lyx (lowers the bar for Latex) in middle school for a teacher who was known to be a real stickler for MLA. A couple days later I had her call inquiring what we'd used to pull off what no other kid in the class had managed.

Enjoy the beauty.

Good luck and have fun! 🐕

Caveat emptor: Tool sets and publication stacks evolve. But the base concepts remain valid. Season to taste.

• @toby

Whaal, hush my mouth

I must be fallin' behind

Thanks for the updates