Pack Envy

• @MisterE

LOL! Le Crevasse

Help me--my eyes are bleeeeeeeeeding!!!!!

Where do you find these things? Too damn funny!

• @The-Gnome

Hmmm... memory is hazy on this one but iirc, Chouinard Equipment became Black Diamond circa late 80's, early 90's following that Bridwell guiding incident, ensuing lawsuit, and a Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization into the resulting employee owned Black Diamond? 🤔

• @toby said in Pack Envy:

@The-Gnome

Hmmm... memory is hazy on this one but iirc, Chouinard Equipment became Black Diamond circa late 80's, early 90's following that Bridwell guiding incident, ensuing lawsuit, and a Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization into the resulting employee owned Black Diamond? 🤔

Yes . . . . . . . umm. . .

Show your own old bagz !

• Trying to stoke the flames in search of information here on the pages of Redpoint Univesity

• The "Kevlar" version of the Chouinard 'Crag-daddy'

112433 (2).jpg

• A picture of a "From Ray Olson's Garage"
    "FROG" pack that was ahead of its time.
    No lightweight, these sturdy mini haulers were
    the forerunner of all the overbuilt packs
    that would dominate the scene for 30 years.
    480551_28667_L.jpg
    Be sure to read Roy McClenahan's excellent profile
    of 'FROG'.
    "Ray's Red Truck"
    is Roy's; ("Tarbuster" of ST fame)
    current contribution to 'The Climbing Zine #16' (July 2019)

The knock-off of the FROG. Made in collaboration &
    Ray's initial contribution to Gregory's line of packs

Front_Top (3).jpg
    "The Big Wally" crag sack.

Back_Top (3).jpg

• @The-Gnome

Is Gregory still extant? Knew some folks who were friends of his back in my SD days. They were short people Guinea pigs so we got to eyeball some early models. College student budget precluded indulging my fantasies of owning one until years later.

Wayne made some dandy backpacks before he sold out to Black Diamond. Turned out to not be a good addition to their stable so BD then sold to Samsonite. Shortly thereafter I needed some warranty work on my trusty Palisade. Alas, trying to deal with Samsonite was like pulling eye teeth. After a few rounds of back and forth they won the war of attrition and I gave up on the repair. Actions are loud and Samsonite's screamed they had no intention of honoring the lifetime warranty. Drove it down to REI, related the story and they cheerfully refunded. Last I bothered to check REI had dropped Gregory's line.

• @toby
    You know more than I.

IMG_6444(1)_420x315.JPG
    Hat's off to you too, to have had the justification to ever own a Gregory.

They often added a cool $100 to designs that other companies like Lowe or Wildthings also made.

Whether there was that sort of added value or not, one could almost always duplicate the user experience for less.
    IMG_6448 (2)_420x808.JPG

• I did learn that there was a difference in the comfort of the carry of the largest packs.

=====================================
    IMG_6450 (2)_330x600.JPG
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    IMG_6440 (3)_440x811.JPG

I never had a new one,

but often got to try them when their spoiled owners left them for me to retrieve.

• @The-Gnome Suspect the premium may have been associated w/the "Lifetime Warranty". Once upon a time was stellar but since watered down to meaningless since they can pretty much attribute anything they so desire, in their sole judgement, to "normal wear and tear".

Since posting that up last night I checked and they seem to be back in biz in SLC. Would never buy another though cuz.... screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

I was into backpacking. And like craggin', I favored ever longer and longer trips to "the outside". Enjoyed some extended twelve to fourteen day solos. Food weight for such is not insignificant so you needed a "heavy hauler". Replaced the Gregory with an Osprey. The Gregory was a better fit for me but the Osprey is made better. Also has a "fer' reals" no hassle, lifetime warranty.

• I've had this Gregory pack for about 15 years. A Santa Cruz yard sale find. We've been through a lot together! Good day pack but I'm not too fond of zippered packs, which is now faulty. The strap stitching came apart, so now it's a fixed length strap

I've had the Mountainsmith for about 8 years. Craigslist, $10. It gets used a lot. I have the top-compartment somewhere. A bit on the small side for me but if it's not max-loaded, it works.

20190719_131050.jpg

20190719_131104.jpg

20190719_131116.jpg

20190719_131204.jpg

20190719_131222.jpg

20190719_131242.jpg

• @The-Gnome Had one of those for 3 or 4 seasons, until worn. Sold it and bought a Mountainsmith. Once the Mountainsmith was worn about like yours, sold that one too. Finally got a Dana Design Alpine.
    pack 1.jpg