Tasty Treats

• We hosted a foreign exchange student from Italia a few years back. Grilled him up a nice, bone in (extra flavor) New York steak one night. It was quite the experience for the lad. Only caught the tail end of the mack fest on camera cuz I was busy with other things myself 😜

Carvin' it up...

20140912_0003.jpg

Mackin' it down...

20140912_0004.jpg

Cultural Divide

Uhmm... Maybe the cultural divide was too wide fer' me to pick up on subtle nuances. Dunno. I'll leave that up to y'all...

20140912_0006.jpg

Ugh!! I can't believe I ate the whole thing...

20140912_0009.jpg

Heh, that was a one and an eighth inch thick, special cut from my local butcher just for the occasion. They don't get beef like this in Italy. Except, I am told, in Milan. I'll have to take his word on that last bit. 😜

• @toby LOL! 😂

• Sweet Sixteen 🎊

Genifer cheesecake extraordinaire creation for my buddy's daughter.

IMG_0783.jpg

Proud father and daughter.

IMG_0786.jpg

Chocolate dipped strawberries. Ooh, la, la!!

IMG_0792.jpg

Eh, who cut the cheese??

IMG_0795.jpg

Victory Salute!

IMG_0787.jpg

Enjoy Costa Rica, friends!

Peace ✌

• @toby

Genifer looks like an awesome chef!

Have any trouble with your waistline because of it?

• Catalan style pork stew with a parmesan broccoli and cauliflower salad

alt text

Here's how to make it. Yum.

• Love at first bite....

20121203_0019.jpg

No ordinary chocolate chip cookie there. Genifer's mother developed the recipe during her head chef days. Took Gen a couple hundred tries to clear Mom's bar. Yep. If you'd ever met Mom, you'd understand. Let's just say she knows this recipe intimately and can tune it for any elevation (well, since there are mountaineers in the lurking.....sea level thru 8-9K feet, mmmkay?).

Me? I suck in the kitchen. Like to grill though. But mostly enjoy hosting the good stuff for friends and family. 👍

• Ace'n the Perfect Pancake

20120815_0092.jpg

Special luxury breakfast somewhere around five or six days in.... 🥞

• @toby said in Tasty Treats:

They don't get beef like this in Italy. Except, I am told, in Milan. I'll have to take his word on that last bit.

Well, maybe he's from some part Italy that doesn't get beef like that, but in Tuscany it's... maybe not as much a religion as it is in Argentina or the Basque Country, but they're pretty serious about it.

• Taste Bud Orgasm!

Opera Cake. Ooh, la, la....

operacake2-1440.jpg

operacake1-1440.jpg

The real deal from a French chef. Sis-in-law hijacked our date night to take wife to a new Irish place. I knew the food was not going to be "not good" so stayed home. I was correct. Afterwards they hit up a French place to "purge their palates". Damn! Missed out on the Opera Cake. Looks awesome, too!!

Opera cake has a history w/us. Once upon a time caught a bit from "The Splendid Table" during France's pastry month. Host was interviewing various French pastry chefs. In France, I mean. To close out the show she asked one of them for "something simple for our listeners at home". Sounded dandy to me so I printed out the recipe. First attempt took Genifer a couple days! All those layers are time consuming! She's got it down to one now. Gets raves from everyone who's been fortunate enough to sample it. Gen's doesn't look this awesome though. Now that she's had the real deal...heh... target acquired. Looking forward to her pursuing perfection... 😜

If you're palate has not experienced opera cake it, it's an intense flavor extravaganza. Hence served in small portions.

• IMG_5571.jpg

• IMG_4989.jpg

IMG_4988.jpg

• IMG_4986.jpg

• It's Heidi bruschetta time again. Cherry tomatos, garlic, & onions from her garden. I confess we don't grow & grind the wheat for the baguette.

IMG_1157.JPG

• IMG_5862.jpg

IMG_5860.jpg

Took this one a bit too far on the rotisserie. Oh well, still awesome eating.

• The first of this year's pepper harvest

2019 peppers.jpg

• IMG_5029.jpg

IMG_5030.jpg

IMG_5031.jpg

• The shrooms are upon us.

Lobsters today (and we were looking for a new crag, not a bunch of fungi).

The chanterelles and matsutake will be pushing up through the moss real soon now.

Lobsters.jpg

• Today's haul

15 Sep 2019 harvest.jpg

• Instead of going climbing this weekend, I went spearfishing. We made Baja style fish tacos, in mainland Mexico, in Jalisco, but they tasted just as good as they do in BajaIMG-20190917-WA0000.jpg