Tasty Eats

• @David-Harris wow, david!!! great bread, ... i am making some today!!!!! 🙂

• @toby wow, and oh my!! 🙂 as to the EATING that whole steak... wow...

• Heidi & I enjoyed a prime rib dinner for Christmas. Of course, without Christmas guests, we also enjoyed a prime rib dinner on the night after Christmas. Last night, Heidi whipped up her ginger-beef stir-fry, with the remnants of the prime rib.

IMG_4762.JPG

Some slightly hot Anaheim pepper slices from last summer's crop made the stir-fry "warm", but not hot. The pomegranate seeds were something new to the mixture.

IMG_4763.JPG

• Fabulous! Haven't had Prime Rib in forever. Need to make it happen.

• @LynneLeicht Happily, Idaho-based Winco grocery stores, usually have affordable Prime Rib before Christmas, as does our small, but decent grocery store in Choss Creek.

• @FritzRay Like you, our holiday food festivities have been largely without company. We did host a couple of friends who had been in the wilderness long enough to be sure they weren't infected or contagious, and served them a huge pot of pork chile verde accompanied with polenta.

We then gave the rest of the pot to some friends (dropped, with appropriate social distancing, on their back deck), but this left us with a big tray of polenta... which Mari turned into a terrine with roasted red pepper, goat cheese, and pesto, and served up with slices of grilled lamb.

This is one of those things that are so good they should be illegal.

So good it should be illegal.jpg

• Time for more good food.

It was Mari's turn to cook today, and she came up with a great dinner. Cauliflower soup with Asian pear relish and seared tuna with a garlic/shallot/caper/cilantro sauce.

All made from scratch. Simple and delicious.

Dinner.jpg

• Retoastered frozen Genifer scratch made waffles, ice cream, and maple syrup decadence....

IMG_7298decadentwaffle.jpg

Oh, la, la! 🐕

• Here's another of those posts that could just as easily go in a different thread.

Dinner tonight was simple and quick and delicious -- I baked a fillet of sockeye salmon in the oven, with a tray of fresh asparagus above it. Fat asparagus spears, so once the salmon was done (15 minutes at 400) I cranked on the broiler to finish the asparagus.

No photos, (but a few details about this meal below), but while eating it I was taken back in time to one of the most amazing meals of my life... a long time ago, in a galaxy far away, during an attempt on a new route in the mountains of southwestern BC.

So, does this belong in the New Routing thread? Or here in the Tasty Eats thread? Here's the story -- you decide.

You are probably all at least vaguely familiar with "The 50 Classic Climbs of North America", Allen Steck and Steve Roper's 1979 collection of stories about what they felt were the fifty most-classic climbs on the continent. One of which is the Northeast Buttress of Mt. Slesse, in SW British Columbia. It's a fine climb. 25 pitches of great granite to a lovely summit. And from that summit, if you look directly east across the valley below you, you see Mt Rexford -- similar size, but with a long, long granite ridge running northward.

There are now plenty of routes on the walls below that ridge, but, on the other side, the side you can't see from Slesse, there is even more granite, and fewer routes. And, way, way, back in the day, there were no routes at all. Yes, the east face of Rexford had some great climbs, but the ridge to the north? Nada.

But I had seen a relatively small slab with a short headwall at the top near the north end of the valley on my trips into Rexford. So, with nothing else on our plates one weekend day in the late 1970's, my then wife (and regular partner) and I decided to go climb it.

Nothing to it, right? Barely above the road in the valley bottom, and probably not more than a couple pitches. Okay, the road wasn't drivable all the way in, but the walk was only a kilometer or so. Easy day in the hills.

Yeah, right. The "barely above the valley bottom" turned out to be three hours of bushwhacking, and, after two pitches on the slab, with endless slab stretching above us, and endless headwall stretching above that, we bailed -- in the faint hope that we could get back down to the road before dark.

And, of course, since it had looked so easy we hadn't taken much in the way of food, so, by the time we hit the road we were starving. But all we could do was start trudging in the dark and believe that we would eventually reach the car, and then, another eventually later, eat food.

But wait... What is that? Flames! Big fire on the road ahead. And as we came closer we could see human figures around the fire, and a parked truck beyond. And our car beyond that.

And it was a BIG fire. With a framework of intertwined branches beside it, and on those branches...

...monster chunks of salmon!!!!!

The folks around the fire were indigenous locals who, by virtue of their indigenous status, were allowed to fish anywhere, anytime. And they were some of the friendliest people I have ever met. Happy to share their fresh-caught bounty, and keen to hear our tale of wimpy adventure.

Yes, I know that hunger makes a terrific sauce, and yes, there were no side dishes, but, looking back over seven decades, I can't remember a better meal. Or better company to share it with.

Footnotes: (uh, can we have footnotes on an internet forum?)

(1) Tonight's salmon and asparagus was simple: Bake the salmon, with a bit of salt, pepper, olive oil, and lime zest scattered over it at 400 for 15 minutes. Bake the asparagus (at the same time, and on a rack above) with a bit of salt, pepper, and olive oil. Turn the asparagus at 10 minutes and sprinkle with a bit of lemon juice. When the salmon comes out, crank the heat to broil and give the asparagus another 3 or 4 minutes.

(2) I went back later that year with a friend to cut a trail to the base of the slab, and repeat the 2 pitches (photo below). Then, a year later, went back with another friend and completed the route (about 8 pitches) to the base of the headwall, and also put up another route accessed from a col higher up.

Here is my friend Kieth, low on what eventually became "Machinehead in Paradise". The climb steepens above, and finishes with two pitches of perfect 5.10 hand crack.

Keith on Machinehead in Paradise 02 resized.jpg

• @David-Harris Well... since ya' got a pic of the climbing bit... I'd maybe go for a climbing/new routing thread, eh? But it's fine here and serves to highlight one of the best aspects of craggin' from back in the day: Hanging out 'round the campfire and sharing whatever.

Alas, I don't think I was ever so decadent, or lucky. Salmon. Fresh. Oooh, la, la! But impossible for me to come by without road trippin'.

I love "strips" prepped "The Native Way". Fresh chinook, sliced a certain way, soaked in a saline brine that floats a potato and hung on a rack to dry w/naught but a smudge fire to keep the flies away. Tastebud orgasms. Especially when you've been on standing on the runners for a couple hours at ten or twenty below and need a lil' warmer upper. All those concentrated oils don't just tickle yer' tastebuds but also give yer' bod a shot of long burn, fairly immediate access warmth.

Yeah, I know I skimped on the biology here but ya' gets my drift, eh?! Ah, yes, those were the days, my friends. 👍