Blues beat Bruins to clinch maiden Stanley Cup title

• OK, OK, OK!

Let me make this perfectly clear: I'm NOT a hockey fan.

It's a violent, bloody, fans-freeze-their-asses-off sport that I've witnessed live ONCE when I was in high school and never returned for a second drubbing.

HOWEVER....most of my family are still in Missouri--St. Louis to be exact--and they've been texting me all night with an elation resembling an adolescent's first orgasm.

Seems that after 52 (that's right, FIFTY-TWO) years of being only a bride's maid, the St. Louis Blues finally got to the alter and won the Stanley Cup.

Well, there ya go. My homage to my home state of Misery.

I will admit, though, that Happy Gilmore (a comedy about a hockey player turned golf pro) is one of my favs. Go figure.

• @L-Aura

Well, to quote my dear, departed Grand Pappy... Born, raised, and proudly educated all the way thru the sixth grade in the Greaat State of Missouri:

"When you're lucky, even shit will do for brains!"

Different times in those days. Kids were expected to pitch in on the family farm, especially during planting and harvest seasons. Common wisdom of the day was that the sixth grade was plenty - didn't need more schoolin' than that. Maybe the eighth grade for the lucky few. Don't let the lack of formal education fool you though. Man was sharp as a whip, shrewd, and near photographic memory when it came to cards. Getting lucky was your best and only shot when he was at the table. Not to mention common sense that too often seems absent from the product of modern, multiple choice standardized test driven education.

I am not a Hockey fan either for many of same reasons you describe but can also appreciate the athleticism of those who play it. Hockey is possibly the fastest moving team sport out there. Very fast reflexes, you need. Indeed.

Hence, I'd likely not had much interest in this thread. The moment I read "Missouri", however, I heard him speakin' in my ear like it was yesterday and just could not resist. He had a bunch of witty sayings like this. Rest in peace, Pops. Thanks for some of the best of times.

• @toby

I've met many really smart, surprisingly wise peeps in MO, folks who sound a lot like your Gramps. I even come from some pretty well-educated stock.

My grandfather was a civil engineer and my grandmother had her master's degree in education--she taught kids from one-room school houses all the way up to colleges.

The fatal flaw in their intelligence, as far as I'm concerned, is that they didn't continue the "Westward Ho!" migration to my beloved Golden State. 😎

• If you see a broken wagon wheel by the mailbox out front it pretty much explains why they didn't go farther west,..

I have attended 2 hockey games. At the first my beautiful date got hit in the head by the puck when she was headed to the ladies room. Seven stitches and some very unhappy relatives,..

At the second my friend's 2 year old boy stood on an upturned seat which dropped him mouth first on the seat back.
    So,.. when people go with me to a hockey game somebody is going to bleed.

But I watched most of last night's game rooting for Beantown, could've gone a lot different were it not for the Blues' goalie.

• @Toker-V said in Blues beat Bruins to clinch maiden Stanley Cup title:

At the first my beautiful date got hit in the head by the puck when she was headed to the ladies room. Seven stitches and some very unhappy relatives,..

What are the chances of that???

Well, probably pretty good if you're at a live event, eh? I knew there was a reason my fight-or-flight alarm was screaming nonstop at that one game I went to!

Thanks for the validation, Ron. 😂

• "It's a violent, bloody, fans-freeze-their-asses-off sport that I've witnessed live ONCE when I was in high school and never returned for a second drubbing."

I dunno. You have speed, ice, a wall to contain the action when every other sport has "out of bounds." Sounds lame, doesn't it? You get to just run off the field when things aren't going your way. Not so in a hockey game, eh?

I can't believe Binnington (Blues goalie.) His first NHL game was last January? Unreal.

Compared to what the game was like 20 years ago, the violence has gone down, and the fitness/skill level of the players has gone off the charts.

Funny hockey movies? See Slapshot, with Paul Newman. OMG.

• @ksolem said in Blues beat Bruins to clinch maiden Stanley Cup title:

Funny hockey movies? See Slapshot, with Paul Newman. OMG.

Forgot about Slapshot.

That was hysterical!

And it had Paul Newman in it.

Eye candy and hysterical....winning combo. 😍

• Congratulations to the St. Louis Blues,they played a good playoff.

I was surprised they came back and won it in Boston,a hard place to play under any circumstances.

That goalie did hold them in,as the Blues were outshot.

Love the game and played for 45 years,hanging them up when I was 50,10 years ago.

I would bet I have watched the last game of the year for over 50 years now.

Best Hockey movie IMO ,Mystery Alaska.

• @wilbeer

You must be one tough son of a gun. 45 years!

Do you still have all your teeth? 😁

@ksolem You're right, of course. That one and only live game I watched was way more than 20 years ago. My boyfriend and I were on the center line right down on the ice almost. Mid-game, one of the opposing team members jammed one of the Blues into that protective lucite screen. I watched the guy's nose smash like a bug on a windshield, blood geysering out every which way.

The memory of his bloody face pancaked on the clear partition has never left me.

So times have changed? Whew...that's good news!

• Yes 45 years.

Lost 9 teeth in one instance,a deflected shot in a junior game in Buffalo.
    Amazingly have all my front teeth.
    6 separated shoulders,a cracked clavicle and a broken collar bone along with a broken nose ended my short pro career.

The only thing that has stayed with me over the years is Post Concussion Syndrome , from obviously,too many.

All good.

• @wilbeer said in Blues beat Bruins to clinch maiden Stanley Cup title:

The only thing that has stayed with me over the years is Post Concussion Syndrome , from obviously,too many.

Holy moly, wilbeer! You are tough!

Gotta say I really like your attitude. And that you still love the game.

It speaks volumes about who you are as a person.👍

• I was very lucky to grow up in Rochester. I went to the Don Cherry hockey school there for years and the Montreal Canadiens hockey school in St. Agathe ,Quebec ,for a few more. All supported by my paper route. Remember that,newspaper delivery. I did that on a Raleigh 3 speed.

I became friends with a few great people in the sport,Don Cherry , who played for the Rochester Americans and was a Carpenter. I worked at his hockey school in Hs and he got me to play on the Rochester Monarchs,a Junior A team.

Larry Robinson ,a hall of fame defenseman with the Canadiens, got me a tryout in Canada with a great Junior A team in Kitchener.

It is and was a great sport.

It is amazing as I age to see guys I played with,still strong.