Soccer-fuchibol-football

• The women's World Cup is going on now, and I miss the discussion. I'm happy to have someone pick a better thread and title.

I'm just starting this off, but I'm loving watching most all of them play, except for the US-Thailand game.

(I love the preview window!!!!)

• @was-dar

Wish I could help you out as far as an informed discussion, but I haven't kept up with soccer since I played it in college.

However, I'm willing to be educated.

Who's yer favorite team and why?

• In the country where I currently reside everyone is a futbol fanatic. I don't get it. Compared to freesoloing El Cap, or onsighting the Phoenix, how does kicking a ball rate?

• Did the American's Women's World Cup team overdo it?

Was it bad sportsmanship?

I bet if I was one of the Thai women I'd want to go back to that flooded cave.

• @Toker-V
    Didn't see it, Ron. What happened?

• @Scole said in Soccer-fuchibol-football:

Compared to freesoloing El Cap, or onsighting the Phoenix, how does kicking a ball rate?

I'm with you, Scott--not a fan of ball sports. But diversity of interests is what makes the human race so interesting, and keeps us exploring new frontiers in all the realms of physical endeavor.

I personally don't know why someone would choose to kick a ball rather than climb a mountain; all I can say is THANK GOD they do!

Can you imagine if all those athletes: the soccer players, baseball players, basketball players, football players, golfers, etc...and all their FANS: the hundreds of thousands of people packing the thousands of stadiums around the world--can you imagine if all those people were out on the crags climbing instead of chasing balls or watching others chase balls? OMFG!!! What a nightmare that would be!

THANK GOD FOR BALL SPORTS!!! And television! And weekend sporting events! And playoffs! And Stanley Cups! And people who don't like to "get dirty" in the outdoors!

Yipee for Divesity!

• It was a thread from Supertopo, and I wanted to resurrect it. I'm uncertain what the rules are here. For north americans outside of Mexico of a certain generation, football is/was a hip alternative to the other ball sports. Now that the women's game is so totally kicking ass, it seemed worth a try. Hey, I am totally wanting to post climbing content, but that's happening less frequently now days. How about a bicycle thread or TR?

• @was-dar

You have every right to resurrect that thread topic IMHO.

The Taco forum is now a history book sans most of the nice photos...caught in suspended animation and lacking the vibrancy of living beings posting to its pages. Just because some people aren't fans of ball sports certainly doesn't mean you can't start a thread and educate us on why you love it. That's what a forum is all about.

BTW Toker V is totally into womens soccer. He will hopefully show up soon if you just post enough interesting content.

• I am not a big professional team sports person as I feel the hero worship has become insane and too often exhibits cult like loyalty. I also do not care for the extremes to which they promote "US vs. THEM", "If you're not with us then you're against us" mentalities. Heck I have seen fights break out at local sports bars over heated playoffs. This is bizarre! Preferable to focus on that which unites us rather than that which divides.

That said, I do really appreciate the gifted athleticism. You don't need to be able to crunch Quantum Mechanic mathematics in your head to be a genius. Kinesthetic intelligence is just as legit. The wholesale whoring of it is what leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Indeed, on occasions where I do watch such, I tend to mute the volume. Just cannot stand those talking heads babbling on, issuing proclamations from on high and sitting in judgement of that which they could never even dream to achieve.

Adding insult to injury, such seems to have crossed over and polluted many other aspects of modern life: Politics, driving on the freeway, etc.

Ironically, the climbing world has quite a few derisive names for such: Hosers, posers, and sprayers.... insert yer' fave here.

Peace ✌

• Thirteen to nothing against Thailand.

After a few goals it may have been better to be a little more subdued.

• Shameful display...

• I would agree, poor sportsmanship indeed to outright route your opponent that badly. Hope the US Women's fragile egos got their requisite squirts.

Onto more practical matters: I would like to merge this thread into was-dar's Soccer-fuchibol-football thread. They were, after all, the responsible culprit for focusing attention on this event. Any objections?

• The only thing refreshing about that display by the "women" is that it was not the evil American male athlete doing all that chest beating... We've got enough bad press. It was nice to show the world that our women are just as bad. sheeeeessh... reel it in ladies

Edit: move it would be good...

• @RussWalling

Done.

@was-dar This one's fer' you!!

Enjoy! ✌

• @toby said in Soccer-fuchibol-football:

I would agree, poor sportsmanship indeed to outright route your opponent that badly. Hope the US Women's fragile egos got their requisite squirts.

I don't think that the trouncing was poor sportsmanship. When you are good you are good, and I'm sure they practiced hard.

But after it was 4-0 I would say don't rub it in.

• So far, I am loving the Argentine team. They are clearly out matched, yet they tie Japan and almost tie England. I really hope they make it through, but at cost of Scotland. ARG!

I've bonded to France, and they might go all the way. I would totally root for Scotland, but I'm not that much of a masochist. Nigeria is cool and I like them, but I can't call their style nuanced: repeatedly kick the ball way down field an let your players outrun everyone else to get to it. Always ready to root for the Ozzies, Spain(family), England(family-spouse), Brazil and especially Chile (*sbcih) . Canada vs New Zealand should be good tomorrow(?).

*sbcih = snow ball's chance in hell

What some above have said about the US: it wasn't so much the score, it was showboating. The argument that it's tolerated when men do it but not by women is just plain wrong. I know they won't, but I think the team should admit that the gloating got out of hand and apologize. I'm forgiving of the players, but the coach should have put a stop to it.

Go Sounders and Reign.

not that anyone cares

• @was-dar said in Soccer-fuchibol-football:

So far, I am loving the Argentine team. They are clearly out matched, yet they tie Japan and almost tie England. I really hope they make it through, but at cost of Scotland. ARG!

*sbcih = snow ball's chance in hell

Sweet! Another one for the jargon file secret decoder ring!

What some above have said about the US: it wasn't so much the score, it was showboating. The argument that it's tolerated when men do it but not by women is just plain wrong. I know they won't, but I think the team should admit that the gloating got out of hand and apologize. I'm forgiving of the players, but the coach should have put a stop to it.

+1 👍 ⚽

• ha ha toby.

Anyway IMESHO, this Women's world cup has shown some of the best soccer ever.
    Today and yesterday's games were great examples. In yesterday's game, US and England didn't hold back and were so good, and that was more/as entertaining as any game I've ever seen: men's, women's, CONCACAF, America's, Premier League, Champion's league, WC: what ever.

Today's Sweden/Nederlands game was really well played given the caliber of the teams, but omg it was kinda dull. Kodos for Nederlands for sticking out out and it WAS AN EFFING BEAUTIFUL goal.

I think the US will take apart the opposition, but you know, you just can't tell.
    dar

• The sports team from my area is more worthy of mindless adulation than the sports team from your area!

Oh, yeah... Hi Darwin. Wish we could set up some teleport thing so that we could go out for a pint!

• Ghost; I won't say I wish you were here, but I do wish I were there!