Miscellaneneous Questions and Answers

• test after tweakin' some image knobs....

my image

Works! Imagine that!

Yippie yi yo kiyah!!

• This post is deleted!

• Hey! There's a new icon for the tabs!
    (What the hell is that called, anyway?)

Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 9.10.48 AM.png

• @apogee

Generally referred to as "Favicon". Various other handles include shortcut icon, website icon, tab icon, URL icon, or bookmark icon.

Check this thread for more regarding the "history" of Redpoint University Favicon.

• Toby, have you been following what has been happening over at TacoSalad? Traffic died off abruptly last week, and from what little one can glean from Happi's posts, it seems related to someone taking issue with axing at least two prolific posters. Apparently, someone is making a lot of noise about this on another site, using words like 'slander' and 'libel'.

Who knows what the true source is of all this doo-dah, but it doesn't seem even the slightest bit surprising given the doo-dah like this that occurred at ST for many years. I have a lot of empathy for Happi's genuine efforts to establish an alternative to ST that operated with a little less drama.

So what do you think about all of this? What is your view of how much moderation you are willing to do here at Redpoint, and what is your tolerance level for such things?

• @apogee said in Forums Q & A:

Apparently, someone is making a lot of noise about this on another site, using words like 'slander' and 'libel'.

Screenshot or it never happened.

Apogee, you do realize that you were a BIG part of the problem on SuperTopo and from I saw, quite the shit stirrer on the TacoSalad. Take a bow my man... you have been on the Titanic twice.

• Russ, I have no idea what 'other site' Happi is referring to, though the choices are fairly obvious. And I can make an educated guess as to where those words are coming from, but I really don't care.

Though there was a particularly embarrassing shit-stirring episode at ST, I may have been on these Titanics, but I sincerely doubt I was the iceberg that they hit.

What I am curious about are Toby's thoughts on managing a new forum like this one, from what he's observed in all of the forums that are currently operating.

Russ, I have no idea what 'other site' Happi is referring to, though the choices are fairly obvious. And I can make an educated guess as to where those words are coming from, but I really don't care.

Though there was a particularly embarrassing shit-stirring episode at ST, I may have been on these Titanics, but I sincerely doubt I was the iceberg that they hit.

What I am curious about are Toby's thoughts on managing a new forum like this one, from what he's observed in all of the forums that are currently operating.

Yeah, I wonder how Toby takes to unsubstantiated claims. At least do a little leg work before dipping your spoon into the shit pot for hundredth time.

• Doing 'leg work' means getting into the shit pot. Not willing to do that.

But voicing one's view of the upshot of these shenanigans, and asking about how the site managers see this, seems entirely reasonable.

Toby, have you been following what has been happening over at TacoSalad? Traffic died off abruptly last week, and from what little one can glean from Happi's posts, it seems related to someone taking issue with axing at least two prolific posters. Apparently, someone is making a lot of noise about this on another site, using words like 'slander' and 'libel'.

No, I do not follow "happenings" at other sites.

Who knows what the true source is of all this doo-dah, but it doesn't seem even the slightest bit surprising given the doo-dah like this that occurred at ST for many years. I have a lot of empathy for Happi's genuine efforts to establish an alternative to ST that operated with a little less drama.

I suspect anyone who has been "in the arena" can empathize with the amount of time and effort required for such undertakings.

So what do you think about all of this? What is your view of how much moderation you are willing to do here at Redpoint, and what is your tolerance level for such things?

I made my views clear. If not, I invite folks to review our Terms of Service. I am not going to list hard lines in the sand for trolls to dance about whilst gaming the rules.

I am not interested in hosting drama, troll wars, tit-for-tat he said she said, blah, blah, bleh serial post whoring. Those who wish to engage in such probably already have Facebark and/or Twatter accounts. Such hosts monetize quantity and thus quite happy to accommodate however low the bar will go.

I am interested in hosting civil, fact, and logic based discussion and debate focused on issues rather than personalities. Actual debate centered around claim, warrant, and impact style arguments requires a lot more effort than "shit stirring", however, and I've yet to witness much inclination to invest in such. I'd welcome a few H.S. debate kids popping in and schooling us up a bit, but... alas... schools out fer' the summer.

Those looking for more elaboration, please review my BigQ's - Raison d'etre sticky.

tl;dr-- Any and all willing to make a sincere effort to play by the rules are welcome at Redpoint University Climber Forums. It is not too difficult to spot those who are not and they will be dealt with as circumstances warrant to the best of my judgement.