Forums Q & A

• Can you gives us some info on forum functions? For instance, can't figure out how to edit or delete posts. How do we post images?

A general overview of forum features would be appreciated.

• ![alt text](image url) is how you'd link an image, for example:

![my image](https://lokeshdhakar.com/projects/lightbox2/images/image-3.jpg)

yields the following:

my image.
    Editing text, you simply click the hamburger menu on the bottom right, and click "edit" (at least on mobile!)

• @halfwit- Huh? Where's the burger?

Edit: found it.

![alt text](image url)- Can't I just post a photo from my computer?

• You can in the way Ken described in the Forum FAQ! There's just a different method for images, from links on the internet.

(Edit: Numbers 4 & 5)

• Got it.

Arrow.jpg

• @toby in response to #2... some basic discrete math shows that limiting pass phrases to nothing less than n characters & requiring x amount of numbers, capital letters, special characters makes the same 12 character password less secure from a brute force standpoint πŸ™‚ thanks for setting up the site!

• @go1dens4 said in Forums FAQ:

@toby in response to #2... some basic discrete math shows that limiting pass phrases to nothing less than n characters & requiring x amount of numbers, capital letters, special characters makes the same 12 character password less secure from a brute force standpoint πŸ™‚ thanks for setting up the site!

Right. Which is why more chars is more better 😜

Too many folks whinging about remembering fourteen chars, however, so I compromised and reduced to twelve. Which is not to say that I certainly do encourage significantly longer pass phrases.

Confused? Every character added adds a +1 to the exponential number of possibilities needed to withstand a brute force attack.

• Not sure I understand why most recently created/replied to threads go to the bottom of the page.

• @johntp

See oldest/newest first preferences in your "Settings". I use the defaults but I am pretty sure you can season to taste there.

• Thanks toby. Still getting a feel for this format.

• @toby but requiring say 14 takes away all of the possibilities of 13 and under making the brute force crack easier was my point. Now using a 14 character pw vs a 12 in a system that has no limitations is most definitely +2 in the formula more secure... understood why it is done because if you are brute force cracking something with a keyboard it would take you more effort... but mathematically the limitations make the pws as a whole less secure

• @go1dens4

Indeed. Point not lost on /me. I would never consider using anything less than several more characters than that.

But how else would one safeguard against lamers who, if left to their own devices, would use four char passwords? Where to draw the line w.r.t. minimum?

Full disclosure, I am old dog and my higher level math rusty. So I am open to discussion as to sweet spots for the minimum number of chars.

• Hey thanks for the efforts on getting this up and running!

Q. I'm not finding a search function (other than the drop down menu for sections). Maybe I missed it...?
    Say I want to search out a specific topic or post which was pretty nice on ST, if this thing continues to grow it will sure be helpful.
    thanks

• @delhidog said in Forums FAQ:

Hey thanks for the efforts on getting this up and running!

Q. I'm not finding a search function (other than the drop down menu for sections). Maybe I missed it...?
    Say I want to search out a specific topic or post which was pretty nice on ST, if this thing continues to grow it will sure be helpful.
    thanks

Search is not yet implemented. One of those deals where there's more than one way to do it. Need to do some more homework on my end.

Which is best? The answer depends on prioritizing various trade offs. I need a better feel for y'alls needs on this one. Not the least of which is site volume, traffic, and related scale issues. The infrastructure supporting these forums has yet to begin to flex but but I don't want to break out the "big guns" if unwarranted.

So, if not too inconvenient, let's see where things go for a bit first, eh?

In the meantime, there are sort options for Unread, Recent and Popular. One can also filter by Tags. Yeah, I know it's not full text search but it's fast and convenient.

• right on and thanks!
    others will chime in I'm sure with ideas as the site takes shape

• DSCN4742AE.jpg

YAAY!

• BooDawg figured out how to post a photo. We are rolling now!

• @toby-

Just wanna say yer doing a great job. As us ex-tacos adjust to a new format, your help is appreciated.

• Hi guys, I don’t use traditional computers at all for the net. Is/will there be any way to post photos from an iPhone?

Thanks , Guys
    Riley

• @radical I presume so but don't use an iPhone (no longer carry a smartphone - yippie!!) so cannot troubleshoot your issue. I am a bit shocked to learn it's even a problem, given Apple's focus on UI's.

Shooting from the hip, I would imagine that dragging and dropping from a smartphone's file browser into the composer window would be less than user friendly.

But you are also reporting that selecting the "Upload Images" icon (process outlined in #4 above) does not let you browse your phone's local file storage to select the desired image?

If, otoh, you are trying to pull down an image from e.g. photobucket or some such, you might try straight markdown, e.g.:

[WHAT YOU WANT THE LINK TITLED](link to pic at external site here)

Basically, encapsulated the link title in square brackets immediately followed by the link itself encapsulated in parentheses. The example halfwit posted above would then be:

[halfwit's cool example image](https://lokeshdhakar.com/projects/lightbox2/images/image-3.jpg)

And would subsequently be displayed like this in your post:

halfwit's cool example image

Now, if you want the image itself, rather than a link, precede the markdown snippet above with an exclamation point, e.g.:

![halfwit's cool example image](https://lokeshdhakar.com/projects/lightbox2/images/image-3.jpg)

Would then be displayed in your post thusly:

halfwit's cool example image

The markdown method should work regardless of operating system platform. For more information on Markdown, see #6 above.

Does this help?