Plant Sex Organs - NSFW

• I meant to add; that orchid was my pride and joy. It put up a display of flowers like that over an over again for four full years. Finally it ran out of gas.

• @ksolem Nice orchid shot. 📷

What did you have it potted in? I "inherited" one from one of the nieces. Didn't know jack about caring for orchids at the time but I am the biologist in the family so the default "go to" for such. Was kind of doing okay for a few months there, even thru cooler winter temps. Repotted into some bark and moved upstairs and south facing side of the house. I also mist more than water directly. Seems to be a pretty happy camper these days. 💮

Pretty informative "wikihow" article on How to Care for Orchids. I suspect you already know this stuff but maybe helpful for "those who follow".

• Camas has been a popular plant in Idaho for a long time, since its bulb is eatable & the bloom is pretty nice. There was even a war over it in 1880, after white settlers on aptly-named Camas Prairie ( one of two large Camas Prairies in Idaho) turned their hogs loose on what the Bannock Indians considered their Camas meadows. The Native Americans lost the war, but won the opening skirmishes.

Camas likes wet meadows in the spring, but needs them dry by fall & winter. Sometimes it looks like water in the distance.

Sexy!

5-30- (3) camas 2 crop.jpg

5-30- (7).JPG

5-30-.JPG

• @toby said in Plant Sex Organs - NSFW:

@ksolem Nice orchid shot. 📷

What did you have it potted in? I "inherited" one from one of the nieces. Didn't know jack about caring for orchids at the time but I am the biologist in the family so the default "go to" for such. Was kind of doing okay for a few months there, even thru cooler winter temps. Repotted into some bark and moved upstairs and south facing side of the house. I also mist more than water directly. Seems to be a pretty happy camper these days. 💮

Well first off it was a gift from an Iranian friend. He must have some serious Karma points, everything he touches turns to gold. So I had an advantage from the get go 🙂

Bigger pot than you think. Good potting soil. I use Dr. Earth for just about everything around. It seems to work well. My Mom was an orchid person, and said to mix in a little sand. I never did, prolly cuz' she told me too.

South facing window, lots of light, no direct sunlight. There are lots of orchid foods out there. I used one called Better Grow between blooms. I'd use about 1/2 the recommended dose.

Here's the tricky part. You need to trim the plant after it blooms. If you look on line you'll find enough different opinions on this to make you dizzy. What I did, and will do in the future, is to trim the flower stem back to the main trunk. Use a razor blade and cut at an angle. Lots of people suggest cutting way down near the base of the plant. I can't speak to that, but mine thrived by leaving the main trunk and just trimming the stem that held the flower.

You've heard the expression "Never cook with wine you wouldn't drink?" The same for watering your orchid. Tap water provided by a municipal water system contains chlorine, and sometimes fluoride. Water your plant with clean water. Spraying is good, water in the soil every few days is good. Be sure to leave a bit of the roots at the base of the plant out in the open. Stems will grow out of the roots and come up through the dirt, they look odd and unattractive. Leave them alone.

ymmv

Cheers

• 20190716_224805.jpg

• @ksolem +1 on the chlorine. We're so accustomed to it as a defacto addition to our drinking water supply that we often forget its purpose: Kill various "bad things". Doesn't kill us humanoids cuz we're big and bad enough to withstand it. But definitely not good for things like plants, especially more "fragile" stuff like african violets and orchids.

So yeah, I water and mist the house plants with filtered water. Forgot to mention that bit 😜

• P4280027_740x855.jpg

• Here's a few from last Sunday on and off the PCT just south of Lassen

cobra lily.JPG

Cobra Lily, also known as Pitcher Plant, is insectivorous, Darlingtonia californica

wallflower.JPG

Above is a wallflower, Erysimum capitatum. I liked how this one came out, no filter or shopping.

P1260077 (2) 2nd resize.JPG

I still haven't gotten around to ID-ing the tiny purple pink flower carpeting the volcanic gravel. It looks kind of like a phlox or linanthus species. EDIT, Navarretia leptalea ssp leptalea, Bridges Gilia formerly named Gilia leptalea

https://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-calrecnum=9529

• Yucca flower.jpg

• 20150417_0308.jpg

20150417_0306.jpg

20150417_0307.jpg

• 20150417_0318.jpg

• 20150417_0334.jpg

Opuntia basilaris

a.k.a.

• Beavertail Cactus
    • Beavertail Prickly Pear.

We always knew it by the former far as I can recollect.

• This high altitude Gentian caught my eye this week.
    IMG_0763.JPG

• @FritzRay Nice one, Fritz! 📷

Fall is just around the corner and JTree is starting to be on my mind.... Dig groovin' on the high altitude deserts too! 🌻

• 20150417_0221.jpg

20150417_0225.jpg

20150417_0275.jpg

Unsure whether the last is same species? Hmm.... 🌵

• Talkin' 'Bout Some Peppa's .... Oh yeah!

Since we are "talking peppers" in the Tastey Treats thread, thought posting these up seemed apropos.... Enjoy!

IMG_5036.jpg

IMG_5037.jpg

IMG_5038.jpg

• Great fotos

Almost seems a shame to eat them

• @zBrown said in Plant Sex Organs - NSFW:

Almost seems a shame to eat them

Maybe in the universe in which you live, but in my here-and-now eating them is not a shame. In fact it is a highlight of life.

• I ike them too

That s why I sad [sic] almost 🙂

• These are from a prior season of abundance. We dehydrated a bunch and canned in olive oil. Pretty special. Toby recommended. 👍