Category Mangement Related Stuff...

• Why Is There No Place for Climbing-related Content Besides Trip Reports?

It seems that if the Politards have their own "discussion area" - why can't we?

Just an idea - shoot me down if I am wrong. I can take it...

• @MisterE

Merged this to keep category management stuff from becoming scattered hither and yon. Will ponder this a bit and get back to you w/more later. Got some other stuff to attend to this morning.

Real quick like: Circles back to "One man's meat is another man's poison" dilemma. I want to reread commenetary scattered about in various nooks and crannies, get a better feel for the "pulse" and ponder this a bit. ✌

• @MisterE said in Category Mangement Related Stuff...:

Why Is There No Place for Climbing-related Content Besides Trip Reports?

It seems that if the Politards have their own "discussion area" - why can't we?

Just an idea - shoot me down if I am wrong. I can take it...

I'm betting because so many of the STians insisted they LIKED the all-in-one discussion, and so Toby accommodated. Now.... well. What're ya going to do - have a Climbing Related section for those who like the separated, but for those who don't, let their threads that are climbing-related stay in General???

• This post is deleted!

• Instead of Categories vs No Categories, would it be possible to have two "views" that users can switch back forth?

So if you want to see ALL threads inline (ie, no categories, ST style) you can choose that view and if you want categories (number and type TBD), you can choose that view instead.

Possible on the backend without too much work?

• I am thinking stuff like @MisterE Pratt's Crack Canyon post may be better suited to a trip report in a dedicated thread? At least the ones sporting multiple images. Single picture posts, by contrast, likely are best placed in the conglomerate thread.

A non exhaustive list of benefits would include:

• OP's can then always come back a flesh them out with additional details. Or not.
    • Searchable. For example, a year from now someone may be scratchin' their head wondering where they saw that?
    • Information hierarchy. A trip report entitled something like "Pratt's Crack Canyon" is less amorphous than "What did you climb today?".
    • Less confusion for new members about what constitutes what and where they should post what.
    • Tags can only be applied to threads and not individual posts. Tags may also be combined, such as "trip report", "ice", as appropriate. Tags are a killer feature, especially as sites grow.
    • Sustainability. A few years down the road a single thread will have thousands of images. Maybe this worked at ST where images were much smaller but we are supporting some pretty decent resolutions here and we'll eventually hit a breaking point where someone will start a new thread entitled something like "What did you climb today, part duex...".

I pretty much just talked myself into it. Got to plan for tomorrow a bit w.r.t. stuff like this and just because something was done that way other places does not necessarily make it a good idea. I'd like to get some more discussion going around this. Pros and cons help me more than just expressing a preference.

Thanks bunches. ✌

• That's cool - they don't really feel like trip reports, but we get it.

Maidy just said: "Mini Trip Reports!"

The add-on element seems cool too!

• @MisterE

Agreed that finding optimum balance is an elusive beast. I have had others inquire as to where they should post similar so coming to some generally agreed upon consensus would, I think, be helpful.

Another reason I missed above: we could tag such threads as "trip report" (don't care for "TR" cuz could be confused with commonly employed abbreviation for "Top Rope"). Tags can only be applied to threads and not individual posts. And then combine tags such as "trip report", "ice", etc.

Note: Admins and moderators can easily handle the mechanics of such via "Forking" respective posts to new threads.

• @Happiegrrrl good idea, what would you call it?