Retired Climbing Ropes: What to do with them?

• Spring cleaning! So over many years of climbing I've accumulated a lot of rope. At least a half mile. I always saved them for fixing, a couple I've keep around for who knows what. At this point I just want to get rid of them. I don't want throw rugs weaved out of them, at least not for me. The idea is to get rid of them. They are all in good shape just 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, etc years old.

Ideas? I guess the trash but again they are still good for non leading. I guess I'd still lead on them they are 10.5.

Thanks for any creative thoughts!

S...

• every now and then I give them to redneck friends. No true redneck will say no to some good looking free rope. Its good for all kinds of stuff but mostly hanging on the wall of the shed with all the other unused stuff they are hoarding 😉

• @Skywalker I never had so many as you but gifted some to "truck people" for their bed box caches. You never know when 40 or 50 meters of still halfway decent rope might come in handy. Also gave one to a younger law enforcement person (read still entry level on the salary scale) who was interested in S&R to practice/learn techniques - with the clear understanding that nobody was ever going to use for lead climbing.

Throw rugs, eh? Creative. I'd never have thunk it but seems like could be pretty cool. Maybe as door mat affair for wiping feet and such. Particularly treated cords during mud season - just hose 'em off once in a while. Feel free to weave me up one. 😜

• @Skywalker said in Retired Climbing Ropes: What to do with them?:

I don't want throw rugs weaved out of them, at least not for me.

Just ran this past Genifer. She thinks it could be a cool idea. PM me next time you drop in. 🐕

• @Skywalker said in Retired Climbing Ropes: What to do with them?:

I don't want throw rugs weaved out of them, at least not for me.

Yeah, same for me.

Maye as a shoe-scraping mat outside, or something the dog might lie on (if I lived with a dog).

But, search online, and you'll find hundreds of people who want your old ropes to use for mats/rugs. Weird, but true.

• @toby said in Retired Climbing Ropes: What to do with them?:

Maybe as door mat affair for wiping feet and such.

@David-Harris said in Retired Climbing Ropes: What to do with them?:

Maye as a shoe-scraping mat outside,

Could be cool. Used to be halfway decent at mending nets. Never tried weaving. And something to do away from the 'puter. 💻

• It's a problem for me. I currently own 6 perlon ropes, dating, from the early 90's to 2015.

Amazingly! I actually have Ebay bids on the most recent, a 70 meter 9.5 mm Edelrid, that never took a lead fall.

I do remember sharing emails with a person in Alaska, who fashioned dog leashes from old climbing ropes. After figuring out the cost of mailing a 60 meter rope to Alaska, they lost interest.

Yeah, & I remember someone who posted to a long-gone climbing blog about wanting climbing ropes for throw-rugs. They were not willing to pay for postage either.

I do like the concept of giving them to red-neck neighbors. I'll have to try that.

It was a thrill to pull small stumps on our "ranchette" with a worn-out 9mm rope, back in the early 90's. I would put my 4-Runner in 4-wd & back up till the 150' rope came taut, then back up another 30 - 40 feet, before I either lost traction, or the stump exploded out of the soil.

There was so much stretch in the rope, that it would snap back towards me, while the stump hurtled towards my windshield. Of course, I would gun my target vehicle backwards, & I never had a stump come closer than 10 feet away.

Of course, I was younger then.

• @FritzRay Yeah, we considered that it might be a bit pricey to have them shipped our way. So feel free to drop a couple off on your next run to Boise. 😉

• @toby Done. As soon as you are vaccinated for Covid. Glad to deliver them.