Dupuytren's Disease Thread

• Decided to post up some pics for inquiring minds that may be curious about such things.

Three Days After Surgery

I was supposed to remove this cast one day sooner but felt like I wanted to give it until the next morning.

IMG_7018dupcast.jpg

Removing the cast with bated breath for the moment of truth....

IMG_7019dupcastremove.jpg

To reveal yet more gauze:

IMG_7021dupgauze1.jpg

And some iodine gauze tape:

IMG_7032dupiodinegauze.jpg

Decided to call that good for the time being, as I did not want to be pulling on the stitches underneath.

• So many things can go "wrong"

Life's been good to me so far?

Hand_wise

I sliced me ulnar nerve with an exacto knife

Elected no surgery

Hand has returned to just about completely normal

If only I could play the dobro

I would be happy as cake and pie

🦋

• @zBrown Heh.... cool beans for Z brown, mon!

I have had a couple folks with Dupuytren's inquire. There is much mis/disinformation out there. Disconcerting and confusing to get sussed out. Recovery from a fasciectomy and Z-plasty is a long road. Easy to become discouraged. I have been dealing w/this curse for decades and decided to share experiences as a sort of public service in hopes it may be of benefit to others. Not fishing for any sympathy, etc. The pics above are early. I am doing well. Typing with two hands is a ways out yet and tedious so I'm getting to it bit by bit.

Picture worth thousands of words so I decided to post up my recovery timeline, albeit belatedly, for obvious reasons. I'll supplement with more narrative as time and keyboarding ability progresses. 🖖

• I have encountered some disconcerting medical histories of late. I really am pretty lucky it seems.

⚡💪🏿

• Z-Plasty Stitches

IMG_7060dupstitch00.jpg

The ink lines are the surgeon's "maps". We had hoped to have had time to do the index as well but alas... Covid is complicating operating room and surgeon availability. Bad timing to have to have had this done. Woulda', shoulda' had went ahead w/it last April but I was naively hoping Covid would have been handled more intelligently. By the time Fall rolled around, we had to push to January for availability. During which time my Dupuytrens genes were "active" and ratcheted my ring PIP down fairly dramatically. Took three or four years to get a quarter to third as bad as it was in those pics up thread and only a few months to loose double/triple that much motion/exteension. Sucks because this is a pretty invasive procedure requiring significant healing and therapy time. Now I'll have to go thru this again in a few to several months, depending on how quickly that index finger decides to go rogue on me.

When I came to from anesthesia I noted that he'd also mapped out my thumb. Preview of bad news rising? I think more just planning ahead, just in case, so as to not overlap scar tissue if/when necessary.

IMG_7063dupstitches0.jpg

One may observe a fair bit of bruising in these shots. Also swelling, much of which is edema, but some of which is result of "rapid healing" gene being provoked by the surgery and laying down new 'chit, particularly between the "webs" of index, middle, and ring fingers. Previously pinky was not involved, but maybe getting the start of some there. Definitely provoked arthritis in my pinky pip joint, which is at present the most recalcitrant to respond to therapy. That's okay, it will eventually subside in a few months.

IMG_7066dupstitch05.jpg

Not too encouraging results: ring finger is already ratcheting back down. It will improve with therapy later. Stitches need to come out before you can start any of that lest you risk tearing. Does not look like a "success" - but ya' got to remain optimistic.

🐕

• @toby holy cow! Hopeful that improves. Mine remains very minor and only hurts when I try to force finger straight.
    Rather than throw Nita under the bus I should say that I probably shouldn’t have followed her on her bicycle on a minor downhill that ended in hard packed dirt covered in cypress cones. Oh, I was on my skateboard and had my first wipeout in 40 years! The good part was I fell on dirt rather than concrete and my Dypuytren finger got yanked back pretty hard and it really hurt but noticed it is much straighter now.
    Your mileage may vary.

• @Alfalfa I should mention that things involving vibration and/or resulting in lateral movements of skin and fascia, e.g. riding a Harley, orbital sanders, seem to stimulate the gene to go active. Also stuff that involves "arrival shock", motion as seemingly minimal as keyboarding if you are one of those who pound their keyboards. Anectdotal evidence, all, but that is about all we have on this since it has never been life threatening or a big dollar profit opportunity for big pharma. Thus, most information is anectdotal "stories" from those of us so cursed. As a consequence, there is also much misinformation out there and some outright disinformation.

Mine has improved over the early photos above. I'm lagging on catching up on the progress. I am beginning to try to type with both hands, although left ring in particular is still giving me cause for pause. I'll try to add some updates here next day or two.

Lots I can share about this but need to get organized. In meantime, mild stretching can be beneficial. Hard stretching, like maybe enough to be painful, may provoke further. Like many things in life, moderation is the key.

• Stitches Out

A couple more pics. These are from about three weeks post surgery. Stitches were removed in two sessions about a week apart several days prior to me getting around to taking these shots.

IMG_7078dupnosticth0.jpg

IMG_7079dupnostitch01.jpg

I've not started any physical therapy in earnest at this point due to the thick scabbing over the ring palm area and some splits. Fingers are pretty bent at the PIP. We'll deal w/the flexion later. Edema does not appear too bad in these shots. Although I would be remiss to not note that healing seems to be going more slowly this time around. Biology? Older and body not as good at healing as it used to be? This procedure was also more invasive: 1) two fingers rather than one, and 2) waited too long due to Covid Pandemic issues? Tossin' darts blind folded.

I'll update some with some more complimentary verbiage as keyboarding dexterity improves. Last few days I have been trying to use both hands again. Challenging but time to start exercising them in small doses. I'm pretty attuned to arrival shock and utilize keyboards that do not require full bottoming out in order to activate. I continue to experience numbness and tingling in the tips of my middle and ring fingers. Especially the ring finger. High error rates. Ditto once more for the ring finger. As benchmark: I am a touch typist and don't need to look at the keyboard, so long ways to go. Arthritis flare up in pinky is subsiding but still got a ways to go on that front.

• Happy to hear things are trending toward getting better for the two youse guys!

• @Alfalfa

Slow down
    You move too fast
    Ya got to make
    Your mornings last