LIVING IN "INTERESTING TIMES!"

• I've lived my life in "Interesting times." However, little else matches up with a mob storming the U.S. Capital today. Here's a link to an Atlantic Magazine article on that event.

Republicans Meet Their Monster

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/republicans-meet-their-monster/ar-BB1cxker?ocid=msedgntp

• @FritzRay said in LIVING IN "INTERESTING TIMES!":

I've lived my life in "Interesting times."

No, Ray, you -- like all of us old white North Americans -- have lived your life in a safety bubble that has no precedent.

We were gifted by birth with a ticket to a life that pretty much everyone in the history of the world would have hardly believed possible. Peace and wealth never before attainable by any but royalty. And maybe not even by royalty.

It is our children who will be living in "interesting times."

• @FritzRay said in LIVING IN "INTERESTING TIMES!":

I've lived my life in "Interesting times." However, little else matches up with a mob storming the U.S. Capital today. Here's a link to an Atlantic Magazine article on that event.
    Republicans Meet Their Monster
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/republicans-meet-their-monster/ar-BB1cxker?ocid=msedgntp

David: I think our journey has been very interesting, since we grew up with the "Cold War" & our lifetime threat of nuclear annihilation. Then, of course, we had the Vietnam War & marching in the streets, & of course later the Richard Nixon saga.

Along the way, during my blissful life, I enjoyed an interesting 120 mile drive home, through up to 6" of ash from the Mt. St. Helens eruption.

A few minor wars & a couple of financial meltdowns later, we had the 9/11 attack, & the ensuing panic. And of course our mini-depression of 2008-09.

The Trump-era combined for more interesting times, but not since the Brits sacked & burned the U.S. Capital in 1814, have things got more interesting than today.

• @FritzRay Yeah, right. Think about how it would have been for you if you had been born in Rwanda.

• It is all relative, of course. We can appreciate our fortune and still be appalled when we witness an abberation to our norms. We don't have to minimize our experience in comparison to a worse one, but yeah.... It could be a lot worse.

Partly, this is why I have debated with friends and internet posters who romanticize the idea of civil war/revolution in this country, insisting it is the only way for real change. Knowing a few people who have endured those things, or acted in countries destroyed by warlords and imperialism.

• And how could I forget the currently "interesting" Covid 19 pandemic. Are we lucky, or what?

• its been a wild ride thats for certain. totally sick to my stomach for most of the last 5 years....

• I can't complain
    But sometimes
    I still do
    Life's been good to me
    So far