Grade Infaltion - What is it Good For?

• Hmmm..... 🤔

Inquiring minds are curious. 👽

• @toby Good for your ego?

Can't think of any other reason.

• @David-Harris said in Grade Infaltion - What is it Good For?:

@toby Good for your ego?

Or is it? Because one is then only lying to oneself, no?

Can't think of any other reason.

I have a couple hypotheses, buy they're half baked yet and likely best left in the oven fer' a bit. I hope to prompt commentary from the broader RPU community at large - even though this has perhaps been discussed, debated to death and put to bed decade(s) ago.

Yet, I wonder... what new insights a historical retrospect may generate.... ?? 🤔 🤔

Inquiring minds will be curious, eh? 🐕

• @toby My reply above was in reference to deliberate grade inflation, which, yeah, is just ego-boo. But I think most grade inflation is the result of ignorance rather than self-promotion.

How do you grade a route if you've only climbed for a couple of years? If you've only climbed in one or two areas? If you mostly boulder, but finally put up a sport climb? Or vice-versa? If you mostly sport climb but this was your first crack climb? Or vice-versa? If this was only your first or second FA?

Even with vast experience it is easy to be wrong by a letter grade or two, so imagine how hard it must be to grade your new rad FA when you're still new to the game yourself.