Happie's Van Build - Ramses

• 20200915_182704.jpg

My friends gave me a VanWarming party and Jeannie made a Ram Promaster facsimile cookie!

Getting time to get on the road again.... Going to be where in Covid, for sure.

• Hey there, hi there, ho there! o/

Seems past time for me to fork your Ramses build to a dedicated thread. Was starting to be split 'twixt two others so I rounded 'em on up and consolidated. 😉

We await further documentation of your progress. Build on! ✌

P.S.; Maybe revisit the dual golf cart batteries in series option for your solar set up, eh? 🤔

• I really don't need solar. It would be nice, but the cost outweighs the benefit right now.

This year is just basics, and I'm not even sure I'll get the ceiling and walls up. Still insulating\foaming. I have to get a move on! My ETD is less than 6 weeks out.....

• You don't need solar unless you have a fridge and powered roof vent.

• @NickG

I will never do it, but I like your instructions.

I learned VW's from the other John Muir and I have never "diddled with the clevis" even after all these years

• 20201006_114620.jpg

I got the ceiling insulation up. Just a few momore spots to foam, and then I need to wash the floor so I can lay in the insulation. After that I need help with putting in the wood.....

Take note of my high tech brace holding the panel in place while the foam cures....

• Hi Happi, Tad from the old ST days. Congrats on the new van/build.
    Don't know if you followed my Promaster build on ST but can offer some suggestions/ideas along the way if you'd like.
    Don't know your plans for elect. system but now would be the time to
    install roof fan and run wiring for lights, fan, solar, etc. before you put the wall/ceiling up.
    Don't know what your bed platform plans are but here is how I did mine. It makes use of the (8mm?) threaded holes in the side support beams. Happi building, Tad

IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG IMG_0088.JPG
    IMGP0020.JPG

• Happie. hope all is well. seems like your migration time is rapidly approaching!

• @NickG I suspect Happie's Internet access may be less than stellar between job and her cabin's remoteness.

@Happiegrrrl All you really need is a sleeping pad, warm bag, water jugs & a stove. Maybe some secure food storage in event some unwelcome marauder gets into your rig. Take your tools with you. Build during your over wintering. Plenty of cool folks around JTree that would let you jack into their 120v AC for stuff you cannot handle via hand tools. Added bonus is that actually living out of the rig will provide insights as to how you want to set things up - sometimes things seem much better in our imagining than in the real. Actually using the rig helps keep it real. 😜 🐕

• I have all the insulation done, and am stalled on floor, walls and ceiling wood due to $$. All money right now, and then some, going to sales tax/registration at DMV tomorrow.

Someone gifted me 1 sheet of 3/4 inch plywood(for floor) and 4 sheets BRAND NEW 1/4 inch(for ceiling and walls). So, next payday I can hopefully buy 2 more sheets 3/4 plywood.

The gifted 3/4"" one is got a little moisture that delaminated one of the plys in a section, and is what I call "Splinter Plywood." That will go in the under bed area and hoping I can cut away the delaminated section. I will buy a better grade for the front section, and am intending to paint with Cabot DeckCorrect in their Cordovan Brown color.

A local guy has offered to cut the contour end of the floor(butts up against the driver seat raised area) with his jigsaw. I was able to make a reasonable contour shape in the 1 inch insulation foamboard, so that can be used for the template.

I'm going to have Lowes make cuts on the pieces for the middle section, and the either this guy will fine tune the cuts to fit, or I will buy a hand saw and do it.

I haven't even thought about getting the ceiling and walls up... But, I hope I can at least get the ceiling in place. Because I bought some pretty faux tin tiling to go atop the bed area and it would be nice to have that done before I leave.

As for the bed - those images will help me visualize how to frame my bed next year. For this season, I'm taking my old bed and retrofitting it into this van. Next year I hope to remove it, and put in a platform that has more room below. I'm not adding cabinets at ceiling over bed, so if I don't have a higher platform, I'm wasting a good chunk of space.

• Happi, I can raise my bed platform as high as the horizontal support if needed for more storage underneath. I have it in the lower position so I can fold the back up to make a couch (like a futon), notice the long hinge that divides the bed platform.

IMGP0023.JPG

• 20201110_151640.jpg

I got the floor in...

20201111_080852.jpg

...and the bigger shelf bay.

Ran out of daylight to get the bed platform in. It's set in place(not secured) and HUGE. Tomorrow we are going to trim the queen size down to full.

Then one more cabinet in and time to start packing. No walls or ceiling until next summer, unfortunately. But that's okay.

ETD - Thursday, November 19th.

• YAY! Progress!

• 20201120_070445.jpg
    Coffee innnnnn bed....

First morning waking up on the road.

• Hope you are well and have a safe journey.