Vintage Gear from the '60's for sale and ID details wanted

• Hi Again,
    When I started my interest in mountaineering in the '70's to '80's, my dad gave me his equipment from when he climbed in the 1960's. Of course the rock and ice stuff was no longer used by then and the bag just sat in my extra gear box.
    Being the type of person who never likes to get rid of anything because I might find a use for it later, all this stuff went with me no matter where I lived.
    Well these days my body seems to like to bite me back if I challenge it to hard so I'm pretty much just a cyclist these days.

Tempus fugit, and it's time to let some stuff go.
    So, I'm hoping folks can help identify some of it and I'd like to sell it.
    I've done a bit of research, and can identify the CLOG #4 wedge, the "no USA" Lost Arrow, the rest of the USA Lost Arrows, the dark angle Chouinard piton.
    The grey coated angle Chouinard piton I haven't found any info for. (?)
    And the SALEWA ice screws stamped "DBSM" are a mystery.
    The hangers have no stamping ID on them.
    My dad's initials "LAM" are scratched in almost all.

I'll post some detail pics later, but here they are as I pulled them out of the bag.

IMG_4395.JPG

• A little WD40 and a soft brass brush.
    Now they are beautiful and should be considered works-of-art.
    As an Artist, I hope I am qualified to make such a statement.
    Carlos

IMG_4415 (Edited).JPG

• And there are the Lost Arrows from 2001 A Space Odyssey.

D0BB24B3-ECB3-426A-A14A-95922AA3C431.jpeg

• Cool nostalgic beans. I only ever free climbed so my rack is devoid of such iron - not even nut tool duty. Would love to have them as collectibles but suspect it's a bit too vintage and rich for my blood.

• Here is the early model Lost Arrow with no-USA marking. Looks like it was used very few times.
    How were these measured ?
    Total length is 4.75"
    Drive depth is 3"
    Were these called a 3" or 4.75" ?

IMG_4459a.jpg

IMG_4455a.jpg

IMG_4448a.jpg

IMG_4447a.jpg

• You've guessed right on Chouinard pitons mostly being measured by the length of the usable blade. I find the early Lost Arrows, like your no-USA one, vary in length by as much as 1/2" in the same model.

This photo is from Chouinard's 1968 catalog.

1968-Lost arrows.JPG

• @FritzRay
    Thanks.
    So I wonder if the rough center line (flash) is left by the use of dyes on each side.
    I know nothing about forging other than what I just looked up to answer my own question and of course watching "Forged in Fire."

• @Voncarlos said in Vintage Gear from the '60's for sale and ID details wanted:

When I started my interest in mountaineering in the '70's to '80's, my dad gave me his equipment from when he climbed in the 1960's.

Carlos' first post in this thread reminded me that I and my son are intergenerational with him and his father. That is, last year I gave my son all my old iron from the 70s.

Of course, once he had returned home to Vancouver with it, he emailed me asking "Where can I go to pound on this shit?"

I was tempted to say "Squamish!" cuz Squamish is now like the most overcrowded place you've ever stood in line waiting to climb something, so who cares if it gets defaced? But then I thought "Wait. I don't want him defacing any of my routes", so I suggested a couple of abandoned quarries, or to go into the mountains.

Whatever, just cool to see another father-to-son climbing post.

• I also have these SALEWA ice screws with a model stamp, DBSM, that I've not been able to find info on. I have found stamps for DBP, but not the DBSM.
    They are also stamped "W. Germany.
    I started off mountaineering with the SALEWA wood shaft ice-axe but quickly switched to an alloy. I kept that until a few years ago.
    But I still use my SALEWA crampons because they fit so well.

IMG_4405.JPG

IMG_4404.JPG

• Unfortunately I placed a few of those when i first started ice climbing 😉 one of my so called friends sold me two of them for top dollar....

• @NickG said in Vintage Gear from the '60's for sale and ID details wanted:

Unfortunately I placed a few of those when i first started ice climbing

No shit. I had a couple of those when I started, too, and don't think I ever used them after the first try.