Quotable Quotes

• End of Days?

Fear not, young Master Henry
    You will be brave, because you are brave.

We face dire challenge and chance.
    Our lives, our way of life,
    It hangs in the balance,
    A fragile glass standing on a wire,
    High above the asphalt as we pray,
    For not one drop of rain under overcast sky.
    And yet I smile.
    We will fight and we will bleed.
    And yet I smile.

We shall face men,
    Some cornered in the roles by circumstance,
    Some desperate murderers thrilled by blood.
    We shall end them all,
    As is our charge this day.
    As is our sorrow.
    And yet I smile.

We will leave our loved ones,
    To traverse a dangerous road,
    Reaching out of peace into war.
    As is....

For we will mine glory from the rock of struggle this day.
    We will honor and protect this,
    This bastion of life in a land of the dead.
    And we will win.
    We will win.

I smile.
    I laugh.
    I rejoice this day
    For on this day,
    We are joined in purpose and vision.
    We are of a singular heart and mind.
    On this day, we are one.
    We are one!
    We are one!!

The Walking Dead

• Time for a revival of this puppy...

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ya think??

Eisenhower said a lot of good stuff that has endured the test of time. I am far from a presidential historian at any level but believe this was from his presidential farewell address circa 1960. A dire warning after he'd been strong armed into signing various bills backed by MIC lobbyists that he'd had serious reservations about. Lo and behold, only a short while later the US goes to war in Vietnam.

Surely Eisenhower is rolling over in his grave... ⚰

Update: Moving this to Big Questions category. Seems to be a better fit since many of this quotable quotes pertain so social issues.

• @toby It is true that the military, and the massive industrial complex with which it is in symbiosis, has immense power in the US. But if the senior officers had not made clear over the last four years, and especially over the last few months, their unbending support of the democratic process, your country might be in far worse trouble than it is.

If you look around the world at all the countries with a "President For Life" -- which is just another way of saying "Dictator" -- that President only holds office with support of the military.

There is much that could be improved in the US military-industrial complex, but before you dump on them too harshly, think about "President For Life D----d T---p"