What is Adventure?

• @jgill Adventures of the mind have fascinated me for years.

Herman Hesse is my favorite by far
    Godel, Escher Bach was mind-wrenching.

• @jgill

Every time I see Zen I think of Pirsig and especially here

"And in the fog there appears an intimation of a figure. It disappears when I look at it directly, but then reappears in the earner of my vision when I turn my glance. I am about to say something, to call to it, to recognize it, but then do not, knowing that to recognize it by any gesture or action is to give it a reality which it must not have. But it is a figure I recognize even though I do not let on. It is Phaedrus."

• @zBrown

Jeeze, Louise! You have passages from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance memorized? Made an impression on me as well but ... Aye, caramba! My noodle is evidently overcooked. Although I was likely too young and uneducated to get lots/most of it, this book really made an impression on an impressionable young man.

• @toby

That was from my psychological period I guess (but I did not always "get it" right away

That is how, btw, I ran into John Lilly

I had more fun playing basketball with Marvin Gaye and going down to his studio to watch him recording

I did know know much of Lilly's early career

He did some animal experiments that I would never expected him to have done based on his later careeer

http://johnclilly.com/mappingx.html

• @johntp said in What is Adventure?:

Chouinard wrote "it's not an adventure until something goes wrong"

Another giant whose shoulders we stand upon:

"It’s better to have something to remember, than nothing to regret." -- Frank Zappa

Heh, I figure Yvon probably listened to a bit of Zappa. I mean, given his demographic, how could he not, eh?

• Adventure for me (like most things) is almost purely personal. The only person I'm really competing against is myself. That way I can go have adventures like my 18 hour epic first time on snake dike back in the day and still feel super accomplished and not shitty about the fact that the route is something people can bash out on their lunch break. That was my first trip to the valley and it set a new bar for pushing myself. That's an adventure for me.
    At my strongest so far I'm a sketchy 5.10 climber, C3 aider, and beginner mountaineer, which is plenty to get myself into situations that sure feel pretty serious and DFU, even if everything I've done has been in all the select guidebooks. As long as I'm pushing myself and running at my personal limit, the adventure is virtually guaranteed.
    So for the Everest thing you have to take these two perspectives. If Everest is the hardest thing a person has ever done and it took all they had even with the guide and Sherpas, then that's going to be the peak of their life of adventure and they should take full credit for that. But if instead of a purely personal adventure they try to claim their accomplishment is on par with the cutting edge then they are being dishonest with themselves and everyone else and deserve much less credit.

• @ksolem said in What is Adventure?:

One key ingredient is uncertainty of outcome.

Kris nails it in that one shore sentence.

Okay, you can have your definition of adventure, she can have hers, he can have his, but for me the thing that separates adventure from all kinds of other exciting things is that you don't know going in how it will turn out. Or, in my climbing-oriented view, whether you will survive.

Some of you may remember my old friend Ken Wilson. Mostly known as the editor of Mountain Magazine, but also a really serious climber, and, less well known, a big advocate of being clear about the difference between adventure climbing and non-adventure climbing.

I wish I'd recorded some of his rants on the subject. He was a Brit, and had the classic British revulsion to bolts. Imagine this rant, played, over and over, with variations, at ever increasing volume...

"Climbing is about bloody adventure, and bloody bolts completely take away the bloody adventure."

He did have blinders on. He could never come up with a sensible answer when I'd ask him how climbing a crack with overhead protection from nuts and cams available on demand was somehow more adventurous than climbing a face with bolt protection. But we were in agreement about the basic distinction between adventure and golf or bowling.

RIP old friend

Ken contemplating a fine November day.jpg
    Ken contemplating a fine November day of sea cliff climbing.

• I agree it's relative. But the common denominator is, being uncertain about your well-being and venturing into the unknown. A toddler can have an adventure crawling outside of her room for the first time.

• To me adventure is when the neither the path nor the outcome are clear cut or guaranteed.

• anything new and unexplored to the party involved. even if its a well worn track for those who know the way. , add some adverse weather and the adventure takes on character.