Road Trippin' Rigs

• @toby No, I haven't been to Stanley Lake. Not sure where that is, actually.

• @Moose said in Road Trippin' Rigs:

@toby No, I haven't been to Stanley Lake. Not sure where that is, actually.

Some Toby Trippin'

Stanley Lake & Mt. McGowan

A'la Wikipedia....

Stanley Lake

Recommended. 👍

Although I have not been there these past few years since the Forest Service mondo expanded the campgrounds to accommodate yet even more Winnies and their environmentally destructive toys. Bittersweet for me to revisit haunts from decades past. On the one hand still special yet on the other so trashed by the hordes and agency profiteering as to make you cry. What really twists yer' noodle is when you realize that your kids will be saying the same thing. If they're lucky enough to still have it. ⛰ 🏔 ⛰ 🚶

• @toby Looks great!!

• Showers are over rated. this was Saturday...
    IMG_4518.jpg

• our last 7.5 week trip out west I did not take a single shower. the only place we were not able to swim daily was COR. We drove to the lake up by the ski area once but it was more than a 3hr round trip and counter productive.. eventually we started laying on the ground under the water pump and taking turns. that worked well enough. everywhere else on the trip we stayed pretty clean. The spot in the tetons that we usually swam the water was so fast that you would hold onto a rock under water and in about 5 seconds you were completely power washed.

• And! I will agree you both "smelled like roses" at City of Rocks. Others did not.

IMG_8696.JPG

• that shot was the day we did the loop past that small ski area and up the mountain for a cold swim and then on to Burly? for laundry and groceries. Burly was stupid hot and on the back way in to COR we were ready for another swim but couldn't find any good water. tried in a cattle stream but it was shallow and not clean enough to do the trick... after that it was makeshift showers under the spigot at the ranger visitor center and once at that picknic spot by the big rock. Everywhere else on that trip we had good swimming even if it was very cold sometimes. Swam in the Missouri river, lake michegan, glacial lakes
    IMG_2019.jpg , mountain streams, the snake and tons of other places.
    Lake Superior.
    IMG_2569.jpg

• @NickG -- hey there, say, ... wow, nick!!! really neat!!!
    *back in ... to many odd adventures with pass work, mix up... 😞
    all better now, i hope...

• The 03 Astro was a killer road tripping rig just too small. Great 4x4 went everywhere and very nimble wheeling. I never had any doubt I could get in and out of places.
    IMG_1866.jpg
    IMG_4227.jpg
    It got 19.4 mpg on extended trips. Defiantly tight for two people and gear. The attic was a huge bonus and made our lives much more comfortable.
    P7100830.jpg
    Small 9in roof vent without a fan. no room for an indoor kitchen
    IMG_2607.jpg but good bug screens and airflow. The roof vent really helped even without a fan.
    IMG_0848.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2021.jpg
    IMG_2324.jpg IMG_2752.jpg
    !
    IMG_3332.jpg
    IMG_4102.jpg

• Heh... I'd forgotten about this thread and was all ready to start a new one - with the exact same title. !Aye, caramba!! Thanks goodness fer' autocomplete, eh?

Anywho... seems like deserves a "bump" and also refiling under "Gear Head Mind Hive". So post up pics and analysis of yer' road trippin' rigs, for better or for worse. Share the good, the bad & the ugly. Inquiring minds are curious and, I suspect, a topic many of us have given a fair bit of thought.

Speaking of Which....

@Moose said in Powell River Area Climbing:

(Also...I want me one of them Delicas with the 4X4 and steering wheel on the right. They don't sell them in the U.S., but I've always seen plenty of them in Squamish, and from visiting Canadians here in Seattle.)

@Scole said in Powell River Area Climbing:

The Delica is the coolest rig out there. I want one.

Looks like you are both in luck: DelicaUSA 🚐

I noted the rig in the On the Verge video was sporting a cracked windshield. Indicative of frame flex and for many years the nemesis of the Power Wagon. Or mayhaps she just took a rock? Any insights?

Rock on! 🐕

• @toby said in Road Trippin' Rigs:

Or mayhaps she just took a rock? Any insights?

Christie is still driving that rig, so either the crack is minor, or she has had the windshield replaced.

Most of the crags around here require some driving on logging roads, so pretty easy to catch the odd pebble.

• My best road tripping rig yet. Not perfect but close. to be perfect it would be the 4x4 version and have a sink.
    NKG_5899.jpg
    IMG_5078.jpg

• @Scole, @Moose & anyone else familiar with these rigs: I'd be quite interested in why you lust after the Delica. Other than "it's cool". Presume we're prioritizing function over form and enlighten me, eh?

@NickG said in Road Trippin' Rigs:

My best road tripping rig yet. Not perfect but close. to be perfect it would be the 4x4 version and have a sink.

Point taken. 🙂 Definitely would make the short, short list if 4x4. Maybe a bit too big for other stuff though. Hence the follow up on the Delica.

• what is this Delicia rig and where are the pictures?

• OK so i found it. Its cool but tiny. at that point you are back to the size of the Astro. Also that little Toyota 4x4 van from the 90s. Looks like a vanegon Syncro has more room.

• @NickG Here's at least one site that shows Delicas.

They are pretty small, but the 4X4s seem to be super popular among Canadian climbers.

• It looks like I'll be in the market for a new(used) one soon.... Been saving up, and applied for a loan. Waiting for confirmation but yesterday was told it is noted as "recommended for approval."

This is a big step for me and makes me nervous. I have never had anything besides a rental apartment that I haven't paid for outright.

I'm hoping for a 2016 Ram Promaster 2500, high top. But not seeing much at all from private sellers in this area and even those from dealers are not what I'd call nearby.

My build will be basic, and slow going. I expect I'll be buying an empty work van, so will need to put in insulation. Nice walls and floor would be nice, but for this first winter I'm just going to use something simple, and hopefully can transfer my current bed from Penny, even though the fit won't be perfect.

Next year I'll start to make prettier.

• Roxul is very good insulation, easy to instal and reasonably priced though with the pandemic aparently there is a shortage. You can cover the walls with 1/4in laminate in various finishes, bead board etc for about $30.00 a sheet give or take depending on finish. you do want to run your wireing before you insulate and cover the walls.

• @Moose Defiantly a cool rig but my astro has 1 7/8th inches more clearance and looks to be about the same size. certainly very capable 4x4 in the astro as well.
    IMG_4227.jpg
    IMG_4222.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg