Road Trippin' Rigs

• @NickG Good to know. This unit will need to also serve as daily driver and Genifer is uncomfortable driving larger rigs. Hence the 4Runner/Explorer compromise. Were I back in regular dirt bag mode bitd, your rig in 4x4 would have been the bee's knees. Of course Sprinters had not yet been invented yet either .....

An Explorer/4Runner sized SUV could get the job done for the two of us. Need more cargo haulage capabilities when we take niece's camping and I was hoping to be able to "slim down" to a single rig. That said, the youngest starts high school this year so not many of those trips left before they're onto other things. So I am thinking the mid sized SUV may well be the sweet spot on this one.

• the bouldering kid next to us in a explorer. His AWD had been broken for awhile but he was doing fine.
    IMG_0924.jpg

• @NickG Looks like that one might be an "Expedition"? I was a Chevy guy during my ricky racer days but a Ford guy ever since the "Black Truck", "Gold Truck" (totaled when a ditz w/a cell phone glued to her head rear ended me while I was stopped in traffic), and the Fusion. Leaning towards the 4Runner on this one though, if for no other reason than reputation. Once you go AWD during the Boise winter slop you're forever spoiled so "AWD broken for a while" would be a big concern. Guessing the "for a while" bit was related to cost of repair. Reliability is a big factor in my decision matrix.

Thanks for the input. 👍

• definatly a ford. Kid was 2 years in full timer living in it. Rig was likly at least a quater million miler... obviously no money for fixing...

• Saw these rigs yesterday on my trip the the big city. W, Leb NH. Both too clumsy and thirsty for me 😉 The new.
    IMG_5749.jpg
    and the old. She has charecter!
    IMG_5752.jpg

• There he is! This is Ramses, my recently purchased 2014 Ram Promaster - 2500 with 159 inch wheelbase.

Next Tuesday, I take it to a local Ram dealer for the fixes on 2 open recalls. One is a programming update, and the other is the Shifter Cable, which may detach from the shifter and...well, you can imagine....

Next Thursday I take it to my local mechanic to give it a check up.

I have 2 months to get the work done needed to make for cozy living over the traveling season. First step is/was getting the divider and contractors shelving sold. I am keeping 2 units, and will show those as I convert from industrial gray storage to a kitchen/desk on one, and a clothes storage unit for the other. They'll also serve as a visual divider between sleep and living area. I'm hoping to face them with wood to camo the metal, but if I end up not having the money for that, it will wait until next year.

I'm researching the insulation and surfaces coverings now - a bit overwhelming.... I'll do the work I can, and hire someone to do things like cutting the shape of plywood subfloor. I think I will go with the pre-cut black floor mat as floor surface, unless the cost of vinyl flooring is so much less that it is worth going that way and having someone do the cutting/installation.

Hoping I can move my old bed platform over and adjust to fit as needed. I would like to raise the platform level, as this rig is much taller than Penny, but depending on what's involved, we'll see if that's feasible.

Windows are going to have to wait until next year. Same with electrical. I would like to have a fridge, but can do without because of the system needed to power it. I have a coworker, an ex-Navy electrical engineer, who can put in some wiring so that when the time comes it will be ready.

For now I'm just trying to learn things like how the hell to navigate the radio set-up, and figure out what's going on with the sticky sliding door(sometimes will open, others not).

But - what a difference, from having a "just keep her rolling" vehicle. Taking this van up the last hill over the Shawangunk Ridge, and remembering Penny's last time up that one....!

[alt text](b9e31be4-ff5b-4e71-9c25-1be753d7f2d2-image.png image url)

• I got one of my windows from these guys. good quality and price. liked the fact that the screen pops out so its super easy to get it repaired if it gets torn.
    http://rvcitysurplus.com/rv-windows.html

• The other two windows that I got on amazon were a little cheaper but will be impossible to fix the screen if it ever needs it. My repair plan when it becomes nessicary is involved and requires advanced woodworking skillz but will be pretty cool looking.

• Installing a window is not that hard. certainly not as skillfull as the sewing that you do and it shares some of the same skills.
    Tools needed.
    1.Cheap ryobi jig saw. $49.00
    2.cordless ryobi drill. $69.00
    3. calking gun less than $10.00
    4. tube of Geocel or other silicon based window sealer. $8.00
    5. Phylips head screwdriver.
    Step 1. trace the window insert that goes on the inside of the van. this should be simeler to makeing a patern for sewing. use a black sharpie. make sure that the opening you are marking is not too big!
    Step 2. Drill a starter hole to put the jig saw blade into. 3/8ths in drill bit is good. Get brave, cut the hole.
    IMG_2363.jpg
    Next step is much easier with two people! goop the flange of the window with Geocel or whatever silicon based product your googling skillz decide is best for car windows. push the window into the hole. The tricky part may be that the window is made for a 1" thick RV wall so you need a slightly less than 1 inch wooden spacer behind the interior flange. IMG_2143.jpg
    one person pushes the window in from the outside while the other person screws the interior flange to the window. Done.
    IMG_2104.jpg
    Try not to get the sticky shit all over the place.

• So i missed some tools. You do need a step ladder to do pretty much anything on the outside of these high top vans. pretty tall one to get on your roof. you absolutely need the powered roof vent. also dead easy to install . get up on the roof with a ladder, trace a hole. there is most likly a flat spot on your roof intended for a roof vent or sky light. cut the hole, goop the flange and drop the unit in. no need for a spacer as the roof vents screw directly into the metal roof.

• saw one of those Mistsubishi Delancia regs yesterday. it had a pretty good oil leak. looked super clean otherwise. also pretty small but cute as heck. IMG_6326.jpg