Road Trippin' Rigs

• Genifer is becoming increasingly keen on the Ford Explorer. In no small part because our '07 Ford Fusion has "been so good to us". Approaching 200K miles of predominantly city driving with naught else other than routine maintenance, I concur. That was back shortly after Ford had bought out Mazda, however, so our Fusion is essentially a Mazda chassis and power train sporting a Ford body and interior compliments. Guess what has been the weakest link in that chain? Yep, interior and exterior accoutrements. Hence, I am not so eager to automatically grace Explorers w/the same vote of confidence (nor the newer Fusions for that matter).

So I suggested Toyota 4Runner. Quick price check by her points to adding about $10K for the 4Runner. Kind of like Ford being the king of trucks. Only add $20K if it is also a Ford Diesel rig. Anywho.... not done any research on either as of yet but am interested in reports by owners of either. Did you simply take the "safe bet" and go with the herd, buy based on "brand loyalty" or did you evaluate alternatives? If the latter, what was the logic behind your decision. Both pros and cons cuz no matter how great there are always also a few warts.

Thanks in advance. 🍺

• the exploder can be turned into a camper but nothing like a Transit. the AWD transit only comes as a gasser though...

• @NickG Good to know. This unit will need to also serve as daily driver and Genifer is uncomfortable driving larger rigs. Hence the 4Runner/Explorer compromise. Were I back in regular dirt bag mode bitd, your rig in 4x4 would have been the bee's knees. Of course Sprinters had not yet been invented yet either .....

An Explorer/4Runner sized SUV could get the job done for the two of us. Need more cargo haulage capabilities when we take niece's camping and I was hoping to be able to "slim down" to a single rig. That said, the youngest starts high school this year so not many of those trips left before they're onto other things. So I am thinking the mid sized SUV may well be the sweet spot on this one.

• the bouldering kid next to us in a explorer. His AWD had been broken for awhile but he was doing fine.
    IMG_0924.jpg

• @NickG Looks like that one might be an "Expedition"? I was a Chevy guy during my ricky racer days but a Ford guy ever since the "Black Truck", "Gold Truck" (totaled when a ditz w/a cell phone glued to her head rear ended me while I was stopped in traffic), and the Fusion. Leaning towards the 4Runner on this one though, if for no other reason than reputation. Once you go AWD during the Boise winter slop you're forever spoiled so "AWD broken for a while" would be a big concern. Guessing the "for a while" bit was related to cost of repair. Reliability is a big factor in my decision matrix.

Thanks for the input. 👍

• definatly a ford. Kid was 2 years in full timer living in it. Rig was likly at least a quater million miler... obviously no money for fixing...

• Saw these rigs yesterday on my trip the the big city. W, Leb NH. Both too clumsy and thirsty for me 😉 The new.
    IMG_5749.jpg
    and the old. She has charecter!
    IMG_5752.jpg

• saw one of those Mistsubishi Delancia regs yesterday. it had a pretty good oil leak. looked super clean otherwise. also pretty small but cute as heck. IMG_6326.jpg

• @NickG Sweet to see a pic of one "set up" fer' road trippin'. We've pretty much settled on at Too Often Yankees Over Price This Auto 4Runner. TRD Offroad sporting the "Premium" package for Genifer's comfort sensibilities appears to be the "sweet spot" compromise rig for us. Keeping our 200K miles Fusion as back up around towner. Plan to restore the "Black Truck" for truck stuff. Thus, the 4Runner will take front and center in the daily driver and the occasional road trippin' departments. Such as it may yet be..... If I ever become affluent enough... diesel tow rig and trailer or a nicely customized 4x4 Sprinter would surely trip my trigger. 😜 🐕

• not sure who these defuses were but they left both their machineguns unsecured.
    IMG_6380.jpg
    IMG_6384.jpg

• the old..
    IMG_6405.jpg
    and the getting old 😉
    IMG_6407.jpg

• saw this sad girl today... NKG_2256.jpg
    NKG_2260.jpg

• Hey gang, Tad from the old ST days.
    Been using ours often from the build I chronicled on ST.

IMGP0707.JPG

Boondocking in Id.
    IMGP0337.JPG

Capital Reef NP

IMGP0347.JPG
    Not ours, overkill.

• yikes! that is some crazey mad max unit!
    me wakeing up sat morning..
    IMG_7155.jpg
    IMG_7163.jpg

• @T-Hocking said in Road Trippin' Rigs:

IMGP0347.JPG
    Not ours, overkill.

I think I may have seen this rig as well wintering down south several years back. Did it have Canada plates from somewhere up north and cold like Saskatchewan or Northwest Territories? Maybe Manitoba? I cannot tell from the photo.

It was indeed a beast.

• If I recall correctly it was Australia or New Zealand?

• @T-Hocking said in Road Trippin' Rigs:

If I recall correctly it was Australia or New Zealand?

Looking closer I don't think the one I saw had twin screws. And likely a tad smaller, but damn similar. Heh, I note that rig is sporting a couple Grateful Dead stickers.

Oh yeah, got sidetracked by that monster and almost forgot...

@T-Hocking said in Road Trippin' Rigs:

Hey gang, Tad from the old ST days.

Welcome to RPU. Yippie yi-yo kiyay!

Feel free to drop in on the Welcome & Introduction Thread and say "Howdy". 🤠

There is also the Who are we ? thread started by @NickG

Enjoy! 🐕

• waking up sat morning in the North east kingdom. 9f...
    IMG_7226.jpg

• @NickG Optical delusion from the lighting or did the window's framing pop from differential expansion/contraction?

• window is fine?