the Dunning–Kruger effect thread. Fascinating!

• I must confess, I know folks, who suffer from this, but did not know it had been identified. In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.

More here at Wikipedia. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect?fbclid=IwAR1_jncdjQl2f27YFf0pBFCbdZFXrrOGroHvDCz269oGGYf_DnCqafcGf_4

Do you happen to know any friends, or public figures, who might be afflicted? Please don't name names.

• @FritzRay Ray, you should read Autonomy, Mastery, and Purpose in the Avalanche Patch.

At first look, it appears to be about questionable decisions by skiers, but it should actually be required reading for anyone who has to make decisions about anything, because the skiing part is just an example of an arena in which decisions have consequences.

And, as a kind of added bonus, you know the author -- ex-Supertopian and alpine guru Bruce Kay.

But, degrees of separation aside, this is a really important book. In which the Dunning-Kruger effect is just one of the many things Bruce looks at in his analysis of bad decisions.

Start here: https://avalanchepatch.com/

• I believe that if you are an intelligent person who behaves like a child baboon, then you should sit back for 20 min and identify any concerns. Once those concerns have been worked out you can move along with your fetish. Hopefully safely.

I would will name but a few: Not in any particular order.

Climbers

Back country skiers

Whitewater kayakers

B.A.S.E jumpers

Anyone who foot launches

• @FritzRay said in the Dunning–Kruger effect thread. Fascinating!:

I must confess, I know folks, who suffer from this, but did not know it had been identified. In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.

Emphasis added.

@Skywalker said in the Dunning–Kruger effect thread. Fascinating!:

I believe that if you are an intelligent person who behaves like a child baboon, then you should sit back for 20 min and identify any concerns. Once those concerns have been worked out you can move along with your fetish. Hopefully safely.

I would will name but a few: Not in any particular order.

Climbers

Back country skiers

Whitewater kayakers

B.A.S.E jumpers

Anyone who foot launches

In my experience folks pursuing such endeavors and behaving in such manner may make a quick flash in the pan but tend not to survive very well longer term. I suspect many of us have witnessed more than a few bumblies who sincerely believed they were legends in their own minds. Until.... that ill fated day.

Indeed, this is one of the things I loved about climbing. And commercial fishing. Indeed, pretty much any "grunt work". The Honesty. You either filled the hold with fish, framed that house, loaded that truck, etc., or you did not. Either climbed the route clean, no falls, or not. No bullshit. Unless, of course, you are bullshitting yourself. In which case, see paragraph above.

Then there is the rest of life: where perception is ninety-nine percent of reality and the ability to manipulate perceptions one of the essential keys to "success". Yep. Some professions are even all about bullshit and have elevated it to an art form. Marketing and Politics come to mind, where the main name of the game is "controlling the message" and billions are spent doing just that.

Works great!! Until... every once in a blue moon those nasty truth chickens come home to roost fer' a bit. Then things get interestin'....