A Dog's Life Redux

• @toby Being there for Cochise at the end, and, yes, even bringing about that end, is the price you pay for having him there with you through all those years.

The price we all pay for the joy our cats and dogs bring us.

• Thank you for the kind thoughts. I should clarify that Cochise transitioned many years ago now. We were doing some tidying and reorganizing last weekend when Genifer found the pic of him above.

He was old and his kidneys were failing so it was time to say goodbye. I cradled his head, holding my forehead to his for one last "mind meld" as the vet released the surgical tubing tourniquet and allowed the massive barbiturate dose to run its course and stop his heart. Vets dispose of dead pets in the dumpster unless you've made arrangements. I appreciated his honesty. I took him home, dug a grave in January frozen ground and buried him in a yard my family no longer owns.

I've had a lot of dogs. All of them special in their own ways. Cochise was extra special. Takes a certain head to be a lead dog. I treasure his memory.

And I really hope there is a Rainbow Bridge. 🌈

• I had to lay down my β€œSweet Emma” December 15. We have rode out some rough roads together, but hers had come to the end.

F4732F48-3F0B-4821-A138-5D17F44255AB.jpeg

• @Tobia Being there for Emma at the end, and, yes, even bringing about that end, is the price you pay for having her there with you through all those years.

The price we all pay for the joy our cats and dogs bring us. The lady below died in my arms. Easy for her, and terribly hard for me. I cried then, and I am crying now thinking about it. But we had done everything we could for her, and an end to her suffering was the only responsible choice.

But... So hard. So hard.

Faraday, face close up.jpg

• @Tobia said in A Dog's Life Redux:

I had to lay down my β€œSweet Emma” December 15. We have rode out some rough roads together, but hers had come to the end.

F4732F48-3F0B-4821-A138-5D17F44255AB.jpeg

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. 🌈

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... πŸ•

@David-Harris said in A Dog's Life Redux:

@Tobia Being there for Emma at the end, and, yes, even bringing about that end, is the price you pay for having her there with you through all those years.

The price we all pay for the joy our cats and dogs bring us. The lady below died in my arms. Easy for her, and terribly hard for me. I cried then, and I am crying now thinking about it. But we had done everything we could for her, and an end to her suffering was the only responsible choice.

But... So hard. So hard.

Faraday, face close up.jpg

And yet, in those final moments you were there, sharing... perhaps, and hopefully a gentle passing. Therein lies potentially untold comfort, knowing you, their trusted friend were there. One may only imagine.

Indeed, it is the ones for whom I was not that 'haunt' me. Three cheers for mans' best friends! πŸŽ‰ 🎊 🎊

• So sorry for your loss. the critters steal our hearts.

• I have not checked in here for some time to my chagrin.

Thanks for all the great fotos and thoughts.

πŸ‘€πŸŽ­

• @NickG @toby
    Appreciate the thoughts, Emma was my "keeper" and constant companion.
    My 8th dog in the last 32 years and probably my last (seems like I have said that before).

• @Tobia

Sad news about your dogs.

I am only at three. May try one more.

• @Tobia

Love that foto of the Pioneer

I think I have seen you twice now πŸ‘Œ

You got some hands there son

• Bearnie the wonder dog.

NKG_4200.jpg

NKG_4208.jpg

NKG_4215.jpg

NKG_4227.jpg

• @zBrown
    Being a lone wolf most of my life, I have always had a dog for a companion. The family dog when I was a youngster was considered mine (at least by me).

I still miss my Emma, can’t get used to her not being around after 3 months since having her euthanized.

• @Tobia Yeah. I feel your pain. On the one hand, you want/need to get another "dawg". But on the other.... we're all getting up there in years and need to be cognizant of outliving our pets.

Cochise, the mighty apache warrior and lead dog, was also the "Last of the Mohicans", a.k.a. "Last of Team Husky". End of an era. Wanted to get another dog but Sibe's just did not feel right. Nor did anything else. Five years passed before Toby came our way. Then another couple more before the Buster Blue Rescue. And strangely... although Genifer loves both she is "done with dogs" after these two pass the rainbow bridge... I feel like I have "one more puppy in me". And kind of suspicion that will end up being a Sibe. And/or maybe a Beagle Hound. Full circles, or what?? πŸ•

And.. Ho Man! Nora is just killin' it. Again. πŸ”ˆ πŸ”ˆ

• @NickG Bernie looks to be a fine dawg. Indeed. πŸ• πŸ‘ ✌

Ooh.. some melodic cello. Oooh, la, la.... and then some... 🌻 🌻 🌻 😎

• @toby
    I would love to get another β€œdawg” but life circumstances won’t allow for it, ironic because if I ever needed a companion it would be now.

Thanks for all you have said about Emma since her demise.

• @NickG
    Bearnie looks like he is living the good life.

• @Tobia Bernie is wonderfull but also OMG what a change to the freedom status......