New Routing

• @NickG It is beautiful. And today we remembered the flagging tape, so felt confident in thrashing down what looked like a way to get to the base. Turned out we hardly needed the tape -- just a matter of dropping down a short gully and then a descending contour around the cliff. A day's work with the loppers and it'll be an easy two- or three-minute trail to the base.

And there is more rock than we realized.

We probably won't be doing much more there until mid-Feb when the weather gets decent again, but who knows? There can be sunny days in December and January...

• Sounds really good!

• Crappy winter so far. a few spattering's of snow and some ice up on Mt washington but nowheres else... and we are not allowed to go to NH from VT. lots of rain the last few days. getting colder now so possibby some real ice locally in 10 days????

• Not much new routing here for the last two months, but even if we can't make first ascents we can cheer on first descents.

No, not on skis or in kayaks, but on a 1,600-ft granite slab.

And no, not with ropes, but on a bike! Fire up this YouTube video, but fasten your seat belt first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ym2F-tHdkk&t

• Thats insane..

• David,
    Would that bike descent be part of the Cuillin Ridge?

Sounds like you're doing well. Good on you mate. And Fitz, thanks for the CoR photos. I was there this last fall but without findable photos(?).

• @was-dar said in New Routing:

Would that bike descent be part of the Cuillin Ridge?

I had to look it up, but yes, it is. Good overview here: https://rockrun.com/blogs/destinations/the-dubh-ridge-skye-cuillin

That page starts this way: To quote the SMC Guide:- “This is the best easy climb in Skye and a contender for the best easy climb in Britain”.

It might be an easy climb, but it sure looked like a near-the-limit bike descent.

Good to see you back on here -- you should post more often. And yes, we're doing well (if a bit stir crazy) as I hope you are.

• With the exception of a four-hour freak blizzard here two days ago, we're edging into Spring. And since there wasn't a cloud in the sky yesterday morning, we decided to get back at it on the crag we started developing in the Fall.

But while the snow here in town was all gone, the hike in was 1,000 ft higher, and the snow had definitely not gone. Not that it was hard to walk in -- just a shallow layer -- but all the trees were dripping and it felt like walking in a light rain.

1615861601684-snow-in-march.jpg

And when we reached the open bluff at the top of the crag it was almost like summer.

Almost summer.jpg

The day's objective was just to rap down and put in a 2-bolt station at the tiny ledge at half height, jug back out, and be home by beer-thirty. Everything went as planned until we got to the "jug back out" part and I realized I'd left my ascenders on top.

Stupid climber tricks.

Oh well, it was nice and sunny, so no problem hanging out while Mari jugged up and lowered my ascenders down to me. (And yes, I did have enough slings and cord that I could have prussiked out if I had to)

But the highpoint of the day was on the hike out when I realized there was something different about a big boulder that sits right at a turning point on the trail.

Big boulder.jpg

Nothing jumps out at you? Well, here's a close-up of that tiny orange dot in the center...

Sunset on the big boulder.jpg

A painted rock the size of a baseball.

• @David-Harris For what it's worth, jumped right out at me. Heh, orange ya' glad to have these little unexpected encounters along life's trails? Nice!

• Sounds like an awesome day!