New Routing

• @NickG Out here on the Pacific Coast it often takes more than just a bit of tough love, but, while this crag is covered with a fair bit of moss, that moss is easy to remove. Tedious work, but not difficult.

Here is a shot of Mari cleaning her line, taken from the line I was scrubbing...

Scrubbage.jpg

And, while the climbing won't be world-class, it will be decent, and the views will make up for whatever the climbing lacks...

The View.jpg

And, whatever else you can say about new routing, it is hard work, so it is great to come home to...

Waiting at home.jpg

• Totally awesome. Such rewarding days!

• Back today in a brief weather window to put in another anchor.

There was nice light over Okeover Inlet to the northwest.

Okeover Inlet.jpg

And Mari setting up a rappel off equalized stumps (the anchors we've put in will replace this).

Equalized stumps.jpg

• looks like a really nice remote feeling place.

• @NickG said in New Routing:

ooks like a really nice remote feeling place.

It is both remote, and yet close. Remote from the rest of the world, but close to home.

We went out for another scrub session today, taking advantage of the last dry (if frosty) day for the foreseeable future. End of day, as we were packing up to head home, gave us this view...

Last light on last day.jpg

• Hiked in to have a look at this yesterday.
    IMG_7214.jpg
    unfourtunatly it ended up being the shaley crumbly shist that you sometimes find in VT.
    IMG_7212.jpg

• Another two dry days gave us the chance to go back to the new proj today with our friend Andy. Sunny November! Warm rock. Scrubbing and trundling a thousand feet above the cloud sea on the ocean.

Looking down to the Pacific, and up to the mountains of Vancouver Island...

Cloud sea.jpg

No photos from half-way down the cliff, but here are Andy and Mari headed back to the top...

End of day.jpg

And, the view back to town...

PR from Gibralrar.jpg

If you blow the above photo up a bit, you can see a plume of steam in the mid-left. This is from the pulp mill in our home town of Powell River. Not much today, but once upon a time the biggest paper mill in the world. Just under a hundred years ago, 4 percent of the world's newspapers -- yeah, that's one in every 25 newspapers in the world -- was printed on paper from this mill.

And then, back to town, where we drank a pint at the Townsite Brewery.

townsite.jpg

The structure in the mid-center is part of the mill.

• @David-Harris that kind of gross. are those some kind of slugs???

• @NickG It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. Gross? Some kind of slugs? No, just my wife and our friend. Okay, they might look a little dirty after a day of scrubbing, but slugs?

Ah! Wait! Maybe he means some photo I'd posted earlier. So I scrolled up and...

...yup, that is a slug munching on a big mushroom. And yes, slugs in these coastal forests get pretty big. The one in the photo was only about 3 inches long, but they can grow up to twice that size.

And not just in the forests. Anyone with a garden -- or a yard around their house -- from Portland to the Alaska panhandle is familiar with them. Other than wanting to eat your low-growing vegetables they're harmless. Just part of life here.

• initially it looked like a snake!