Coronavirus.

• I think I said it was the first one I did any researching on. 2002-2003 SARS and 2009 H1N1 I believe are classed as pandemics, but I paid little attention to either.

• meanwhile we have a flue pandemic every year.. I totally hate it when people come to work sick but as I said up page I am the asshole for speaking up about it. I talked my sick co worker into wearing a mask toady at the expense of workplace harmony. It lasted about an hour.

• @NickG The 'guvmint has had big money dicks ups its arse for so long now that the cocks wag their lips. So rule them out. Ditto the health insurance industry cock masters.

Rock climbers have always been an independent breed, innovative, competitive, yet communal. Maybe a novel approach: Ask the crew at large to contribute to having him tested for Covid-19. Positive or negative results, it would seem that it might be a wise investment by the group. 🤔

• probably just get me in a heap of shit. too late anyways. last two days I have been working with him in a tiny enclose office in Billings farm Natnl park. just deal with it when I get sick. I will self isolate when that happens..

• that's the reality of the blue collar trades life.

• My sister has been in self-quarantine for about two weeks, after returning from travel in Washington State, where the virus pretty much broke in this country, for all intents & purposes.

Her husband scoffed at the idea. However, he's employed as a pilot for a rich dude(which is why they were in WA - sometimes they invite my sister as a perk, if they are having several days in an area. Her husband isn't required to work, as they use ground transport in these cases, so it's a bit like getting a paid vacation).

My sister WAS employed up to a few weeks ago, as an x-ray tech. She left the job with the last straw being that she had tried to raise a doctor three times for a woman in the ER who was begging for help(as she was dying - I don't know the circumstances) and couldn't get one to come see the patient. So, she was able to quarantine. She went up to the family lake house, and hubs stayed in main home.

I am trying to act responsibly, and with an awareness that at some point it's likely I WILL be at least carrying this virus, and that point COULD be now, though I doubt it. That means I am:

• doing the hand washing routine
    • trying to eliminate touching potentially infected objects that would be most likely an issue, like PINpads on point of sale/gas stations, public building door handles and such.
      -trying to keep my hands away from my face
    • trying to maintain a distance from people in social situations
      -trying to hold back coughs or sneezes in public places, not using my hand as a shield, but my clothes- covered elbow, if I can't hold it back.

I'm leaving Quartzsite Thursday, in part because it's a transient town and I utilize public places like the Pilot travel center, which is germy in the best of cases.... But also, as I've written before, because it's not a good place to be if I become ill OR others in the town do.

I have held off buying some additional foodstuffs because of the limited options and high prices, and to be honest, a cash flow/budget that doesn't really allow for stocking up. But once I get to Prescott, I intend to do at least some foodstocking, some things that would be easy to prepare if I was ill, and some things to get me through if an area I am in does become a hot zone.

Prescott is going to be pretty in public for me, and I need to wait for a cash infusion before continuing to Sedona, where I will pretty much stay out of public other that the library. Yes, I'll take extra caution when there. But otherwise, hanging with Lucas, making jewelry, and enjoying the wonderful hiking. I'm intending to stay there at least two weeks, and then start the trek back home.

It should be interesting traveling in the time of Corona. I'm pretty sure that by the time I leave Sedona, it's going to be in full on pandemic mode. I'll have ZERO problem being made fun of if I am wrong about that.....

• case of annie noodles is pretty reasonable. I bought a bunch of canned soup on sale this winter. be certain to have enough stove fuel on hand. I bought a bunch of disinfectant whipes..

• MSN shared this National Geographic article today: These underlying conditions make coronavirus more severe, and they're surprisingly common

The idea that the virus only poses a threat to older people comes from focusing too heavily on COVID-19’s death rate, which the World Health Organization updated last Wednesday to 3.4 percent. This rate is an average across ages, and the chances of dying do rise among older people.

But evidence also shows that COVID-19 is more fatal across all age groups than seasonal influenza, with death rates six to 10 times higher for those under 50. Moreover, death isn’t the only danger, and severe cases of COVID-19 are more common among young adults than you might think.

A study published February 28 in the New England Journal of Medicine, for example, examined the age breakdown for 1,099 coronavirus patients. The majority of non-severe cases—60 percent—are teens and adults between 15 to 49 years old, which might suggest this group is spared the worst of the virus.

In truth, severe cases were slightly more abundant among this younger demographic. Of the 163 severe cases reported in the study, 41 percent were young adults, 31 percent were aged 50 to 64, and 27 percent were above 65. The only age group spared by severe COVID-19 appeared to be kids under 14.

Millennials and Gen Z are also just as likely to catch the coronavirus as older groups, according to the largest profile to date on COVID-19, a clinical report of more than 72,000 patients published February 21 by the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention. So rather than rely on age to gauge who is most threatened by COVID-19, doctors say you may want to look at common underlying conditions and how they correspond with the death rates reported by the Chinese CDC. Doing so can offer clues on how to protect you and your loved ones.

“The death rate from this outbreak is high. We shouldn’t categorize it by young or senior,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the World Health Organization, said during a Monday briefing. “We cannot say that we care about millions when we don’t care about an individual who may be senior or junior … Every individual life matters.”

More on preexisting condtions that can make symptoms more severe, here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/Health/medical/these-underlying-conditions-make-coronavirus-more-severe-and-theyre-surprisingly-common/ar-BB10ZdOC?li=BBnb7Kz&pfr=1

• Here are three science based articles on Covid19:

WHO

comparisons

who china visit

These 3 reports have some science backed efforts.

Others abound. Here is a New York Post article. The NYP is owned by Murdoch a big Repub funder.

a Republican takeaway

• @DingusMcgee said in Coronavirus.:

Here are three science based articles on Covid19:

WHO

comparisons

who china visit

These 3 reports have some science backed efforts.

Others abound. Here is a New York Post article. The NYP is owned by Murdoch a big Repub funder.

a Republican takeaway

Hence why we don't typically bother citing biased sources lacking subject matter expertise. 😉

I realize there have been massive efforts on the parts of various colors to politicize this. Yeah, politics obviously is a part of something like this but lets otherwise cite more reputable sources: academics, research hospitals, WHO, CDC, etc. As noted about, the 24x7 news stream is pretty yellow and generally not warrant much credence.

• @Happiegrrrl --- hey there, say, happiegrrrl... thanks for your update...
    you are always in mind...

also, thank you to the POSTERS here, that recently shared all the info...
    and the links...

thank you all again...

• WHO summary

To summarize, COVID-19 spreads less efficiently than flu, transmission does not appear to be driven by people who are not sick, it causes more severe illness than flu, there are not yet any vaccines or therapeutics, and it can be contained – which is why we must do everything we can to contain it. That’s why WHO recommends a comprehensive approach.

Comparisons

The whole article is a summary

Who visit

Have to read the whole article here too

• Dear Valued Customers.jpg

And, now that you have all that toilet paper...

Storing your toilet paper.jpg

• @David-Harris
    I cannot wait to see the various algorithms that will be developed in order to determine the picking sequence among all those rolls.

• anyone who thinks Covid19 can be contained in a country without universal health care and dumb enough to elect trump is dreaming...

• Well, the likes of these words are not mine, as I heard them elsewhere, "...we seem to have lost the containment battle, we are now [about to enter] entering the mitigation phase".

• @David-Harris

Holy, holy, guacamole!! We actually needed to buy some TP recently. We typically have a pretty decent supply on hand because there is only two of us and we buy bulk at Costco. Except this time around the "bulk" packages contained only half the number of rolls, i.e. same as in the grocery stores, and Costco was rationing them to one package per "group". So you could not buy one and have your wife buy another w/o some deception or making multiple trips. Jeeze, just go grab another and pick a different line! It's Costco, there are a dozen cashiers open at any given time. Silly. Oh well. Worst case scenario is I raid all the packs in the house for their "be prepared" rolls....

Else maybe wise to take a lesson from earlier generations, prior to widespread availability of TP.....

Oh No!!!! The Internet hammered the nails into Sears & Roebucks' coffin......

• @zBrown said in Coronavirus.:

Why Some COVID-19 Cases Are Worse than Others

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/why-some-covid-19-cases-are-worse-than-others-67160

Hmm... Interesting bit here related to my Sis's comment:

"Whether patients develop antibodies after SARS-CoV-2 infection that will protect them against future infections is still a mystery."

If you continue reading, seems like likely not.

• 1918 Flu epidemic deaths
    50 million worldwide
    650k US

https://www.influenzaarchive.org/

WHO Declares Covid-19 a pandemic

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/who-declares-the-coronavirus-outbreak-a-global-pandemic.html

[Tedros previously said the organization wasn't declaring a pandemic, in part, because most cases of coronavirus were still traced to known contacts or clusters of cases, and there wasn't any "evidence as yet that the virus is spreading freely in communities."

"Unless we're convinced it's uncontrollable, why ... call it a pandemic?" he told reporters last week.

The organization raised its risk assessment level on the virus to its highest level of alert last month.]