Coronavirus.

• @David-Harris Yep. Populated by an over abundance of Covidiots.

@David-Harris said in Coronavirus.:

But it is only with the wide availability of internet access that most folks have the ability to really research any topic they choose...

That may have been true of the 1990's and very early 2000's Internet but modern times big corps, big data, and the increasing prevalence of AI driven "bubbling", especial by the Big 5 results in very skewed information. Those of us geek enough to be aware of this can take steps to combat "perception management", "echo chambers", search engine "bubbling" and such but as things consolidate more and more into fewer and fewer big corporate players that bar is becoming increasingly high.

For example, I was reading a security paper recently that estimated something like sixty percent of Facebook's user base is AI driven bots. That is a majority of the "user base". Not all owned by Pupeteer in Chief Zuckerberg but also various well funded political, government and commercial interests. It really is a freakin' jungle out there and it is only getting worse. Here are a couple links that speak to this:

I think the legal precedent is there for mandatory vaccinations here in the U.S. as the highest court in the land already established such in a 7:2 split in 1904, thereby providing strong legal precedent. The decisions of justices who've gone before them has historically been highly respected. Modern times, U.S. Supreme courts have admittedly been focused more on social policy issues than litigating the law itself. So.... my retired legal eagle (and right wing) father expects/hopes this precedent will be over turned.

As for the hospital situation, as mentioned above, my sis-in-law was denied admittance a couple weeks ago due to no room at the inn. I give Southern Idaho another couple weeks before "Crisis Standards of Care" are declared here as well. Should be interesting, no? I'm back in hunkered down mode. Seems a few more folks are "getting it" this time around but, alas, once again most/many are defiantly sticking to their politard loyalties. Who'd of thunk it? No shortage of insanely stupid people in Idaho. Ironically, the panhandle used to be the democrat stronghold of the state (comparatively).

But thanks for the feedback, mon! Good to read that you're still alive and well. 👋

P.S.; Yes, I agree that there is a lot more info available modern times. But with all the info herding and bubbling going on and being exponentially escalated by AI it is increasingly challenging for the average, non tech user who is unawares to find it amid the cacophony of mis/disinformation. Be great if the news, for example, actually got back to reporting the news rather than some talking head's opinions and slants. In this regard, I think there was much greater accountability before "control the message" politards gutted the FCC's oversight.

• More on US Supreme Court Vaccination Precedent

A couple essays by a law professor on this topic:

1. What the Supreme Court Has Said About Mandating Vaccines for School: Jacobson v. Massachusetts

State and local governments in the United States have mandated immunizations as a prerequisite for attending public schools for quite some time. The Supreme Court has heard several challenges to these mandates and has consistently ruled the mandates to be constitutional.

2. Jacobson and the Contemporary Jurisprudence

Two history-oriented challenges may be raised against Jacobson from very different directions. One would be that Jacobson predated the period in which individual rights carried weight. The other would be that Jacobson should be rejected because one of its progenies is the (correctly) infamous case of Buck v. Bell. Neither challenge has merit.

I note these essays were published in 2019. Why has it taken so long for the "mainstream media" to pick up on this, eh? Hmm... 🤔

• For example, I was reading a security paper recently that estimated something like sixty percent of Facebook's user base is AI driven bots. That is a majority of the "user base

I suspected something like this!

Waiting to see more!

• Those of who actually read the Israeli study (and a couple others linked up thread) probably already had this figured but looks like the CDC are not the only one skeptical about boosters. Encouraging that the FDA has not bowed to political arm twisting and is sticking with the science. Of course the science may change as we learn more but for now:

FDA sounds skeptical note on Pfizer booster shot

The Food and Drug Administration refrained from endorsing a Covid-19 booster shot from Pfizer and BioNTech in an analysis posted Wednesday ahead of a crucial advisory committee meeting.

The agency appeared skeptical about the companies' assertion that an apparent drop in immune protection conferred by their Covid-19 vaccine is likely due to the passage of time, rather than the emergence of the hyper-contagious Delta variant.

Meh, just follow the money. Pfizer stands to gain yet more millions from a booster. Their lobbyists must be in fits over this, eh?

• Idaho: Crisis Standards of Care Activated Statewide

Well, it is official: The entire State of Idaho is now in Crisis Standards of Care mode.

Idaho expands Crisis Standards of Care statewide due to surge in COVID-19 patients requiring hospitalization (emphasis added):

September 16, 2021

The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare (DHW) has activated Crisis Standards of Care (CSC) in accordance with IDAPA 16.02.09 – Crisis Standards of Care For Healthcare Entities. CSC is activated statewide because the massive increase of COVID-19 patients requiring hospitalization in all areas of the state has exhausted existing resources. CSC was activated on Sept. 6 in North Idaho. This activation, declared today, expands the declaration to the rest of the state.

This action was taken after St. Luke’s Health System requested that CSC be activated. DHW Director Dave Jeppesen convened the CSC Activation Advisory Committee virtually on Sept. 15. The committee recommended that CSC be activated statewide.

“Our hospitals and healthcare systems need our help. The best way to end crisis standards of care is for more people to get vaccinated. It dramatically reduces your chances of having to go to the hospital if you do get sick from COVID-19. In addition, please wear a mask indoors in public and outdoors when it’s crowded to help slow the spread” said DHW Director Jeppesen. “The situation is dire – we don’t have enough resources to adequately treat the patients in our hospitals, whether you are there for COVID-19 or a heart attack or because of a car accident.”

What Are The "Crisis Standards of Care"?

Crisis Standards of Care (pdf file link):

The Idaho Crisis Standards of Care Plan will be implemented when a disaster event overwhelms usual health and medical capabilities and capacities, resulting in an inability of the healthcare system to provide the standard levels of care to patients. This plan provides the structure needed for collaborative development of crisis standards of care clinical guidance by the State of Idaho Disaster Medical Advisory Committee, comprised of subject matter experts, and the dissemination of guidance to the seven public health districts and the healthcare system in Idaho.

Things get more interesting about eighteen pages in where they begin defining triage categories and actions.

395c2e7f-ce9b-4f9f-bbc2-f353c58ef12a-image.png

Buckle up. Should be an interesting ride. I don't have yesterday's hospitalization and death tolls off the top of my head but just got off the phone w/a health care worker who'd called to advise me thusly: Stay indoors and away from crowds even if you are fully vaccinated.

• Covid-19 boosters: 5 takeaways from CDC's big vaccine meeting

Data reviewed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's vaccine advisory committee on Wednesday suggests benefits to giving Covid-19 boosters to elderly Americans and long-term care home residents — potentially setting up the independent panel to endorse a third dose of Pfizer and BioNTech's shot for those groups.

The Food and Drug Administration is expected to soon decide whether to authorize the Pfizer-BioNTech booster and for whom. The agency's own outside advisory committee on Friday recommended allowing a third dose of the companies' shot for people 65 and older and those at high risk of severe disease. In doing so they bucked the Biden administration's plans for a broad booster rollout this month.

The CDC panel's role begins once the FDA authorizes the booster dose. The CDC's vaccine advisers will refine exactly who is eligible — in this case, that will likely involve defining "high risk." Those discussions are set to culminate on Thursday afternoon, but only if FDA authorizes the shot by that morning.

I shall just list the takeaway bullets here. Please see linked article for expansion.

1. The goals of vaccination might be changing.

2. The elderly show the clearest need for boosters at this point.

3. Nursing-home residents face special risks, even with a boost.

4. Experts are worried about confusing the public.

5. The booster rollout could be messy.

Stay safe. 🐕

• Covid Data Visualizations

Courtesy Johns Hopkins University of Medicine Coronavirus Resource Center

I have drilled down to State/Province maps and then selected Idaho:

422e5800-26f6-48f0-85d2-177c28480e7f-image.png

From the above we can readily visualize the impact of vaccines arriving on the scene: As vaccinations ramp up the weekly cases and deaths decline. Shortly after vaccinations level off the highly contagious delta variant arrives and both cases and deaths rise exponentially. Exponential growth is particularly evident in the Weekly Deaths graph, rampaging amongst the unwashed until hospitals become overwhelmed and "Crisis Care Mode" is declared.

Continuing to focus on deaths, since so many hereabouts claim they've had hangovers worse than Covid** and that people are not dying, we may further observe the following take home from the last two weeks:

1. Week of 9/12: I'm interpreting the graph to read appox. 95 deaths.

2. Week of 9/19: Deaths have now reached new peaks since the Covid-19 epidemic began at approx. 165.

That is approx. a 60% increase in deaths in just the past week.

The astute among us may note also that while the increase in new cases has begun to level off, deaths continue to rise exponentially. Perhaps stemming from our maxed out health care system?

Next couple of weeks should be... "interesting"... How are things in your neck of the woods, eh?

** A certain steak house a couple towns west is even selling t-shirts proudly proclaiming thus - among other defiant alt-right slogans. Sigh.. stupid is as stupid does...

• Idaho: Week Ending Sept. 26, 2021

Good news, deaths are down significantly. New cases, however and not. I hypothesize the hospitals are getting a better grip and/or more of the new cases are younger folks with more robust immune systems. And/or cold hard facts of reality is trumping willful ignorance and effecting a decline in high risk behaviors. Relatively.

6ec73c4a-41a8-4e14-afd5-a4e5a8ad8c6a-image.png

• Idaho Covid Stats: Week Ending October 2, 2021

Big spike in deaths from Covid this past week: Up from approx. 120 to approx. 215.

One needs to "hover" on the graphs from JHU's Covid Response site to get the actual week end dates. They seem to end their weeks on Sunday. This past week ended on Friday, 10/31. I presume something to do with month's end stats? In any case, that big spike represents only five days! Two days shy of a full week so I suspect the full week's numbers would be significantly higher.

1f9628cb-a90a-49ad-be14-2d085ad04e75-image.png

I just had to check after hearing a "report" that deaths in Idaho were down to "only" 50. Freakin' disinformation needs to be challenged and dispelled. Wishful thinking is not the solution. Or is it? Maybe we can all just meditate the Covid Endemic away if we just concentrate real hard....