Coronavirus.

• A dram in exchange for the pox.jpg

• Not sure whether this belongs here, or if Toby wants to move it to some other thread, but since it puts the US response to Covid 19 in historical perspective, I'll drop it here.

But first a comment. It is a fairly long article that appeared in Rolling Stone magazine a week ago, written by Wade Davis. You can look him up, but, briefly, he is a cultural anthropologist currently on the faculty of the University of British Columbia. I think he was originally American, and may still hold dual citizenship. Of more relevance to us as climbers, he is the writer of one of the most amazing climbing books I have ever read. "Into The Silence" is a look into the early British attempts on Mt Everest, and the political/cultural history behind them. Part of that historical context is the First World War, and this book will give you nightmares.

Anyway, Wade is one of the most perceptive people you'll ever read, and you should definitely read this -- "The Unraveling of America"

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/covid-19-end-of-american-era-wade-davis-1038206/

• @David-Harris

damn. that rolling stone article was both incredibly wide ranging while still managing to be to the point and even succinct. (and so given that article and your ringing endorsement i will be putting his Everest book on the reading list... so, thank you.)

i also appreciated Davis’ ending re the continued rise of china.

because ultimately, there is nothing to gloat about, while watching from across the border, as the u.s. federal governance falls into regular and overt kleptocratic tendencies and the strongman styled banana republic tendencies so favoured in its sphere of influences, comes home to roost.

most frightening part (to me), is that in response to this threat the proposed alternative, by the two party system, appears to effectively be atrophying milquetoast.

with all that said, given the alternatives, and for the world as a whole’s sake, i am still hoping the land of the free and the home of the brave manages to get their proverbial shit together and it’s not too late to prove mr. Davis’ thesis premature.

while time will tell, it’s currently not looking good from at least this vantage point...

• Interesting news on the pandemic fronts today. Yes, plural, because, at least where I live, Covid 19 is not the only killer out there. Here in BC, as in most places, the Covid plague has been killing people, but relatively fewer than in most places, and nowhere near the deaths from the other killer stalking our streets.

The government health department published the stats today for both Covid-19 and overdose deaths for the first seven months of this year...

Covid vs Overdose.png

Totaling it up, so far this year Covid has killed 195 people while 915 people have died from drug overdoses.

(Total population of the province is 5.1 million)

• @zBrown Very. Interesting hypothesis, indeed. Sounds like some better treatment paths may well result. Bears monitoring. 🐻 🐕

• @toby

This appears to be a lot more complex than anyone imagined.

• Well, the inevitable finally arrived.

Our little city is so isolated that Covid-19 seemed like a far-off science fiction story. But, and I've said this here and elsewhere, there was no way to escape forever.

And forever arrived a couple of days ago. A woman on the Tla'amin First Nation became sick, and tested positive, and several more positives have followed. Their town is basically contiguous with the city, so...

• I have to track down the link, but I read that a person over 80 is 100 times more likely to die from Coronavirus infection than someone 40.

• @David-Harris oh my... thank you for the update... 😞