Coronavirus.

• @Toker V

Make sure you get an oximeter

Pulse oximetry is no more complicated than using a thermometer. These small devices turn on with one button and are placed on a fingertip. In a few seconds, two numbers are displayed: oxygen saturation and pulse rate. Pulse oximeters are extremely reliable in detecting oxygenation problems and elevated heart rates.

SILENT HYPOXIA

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/opinion/sunday/coronavirus-testing-pneumonia.html

• zBrown! Interesting article. Thanks for posting it. I just ordered one of those gadgets!

• @FritzRay

For other reasons I am quite familiar these devices. My mom suffered fromCOPD.

This is just another ugly wrinkle in the saga, either brought on or exacerbated by greed.

• @zBrown Excellent article. Thanks for posting it.

Of course, now that the word is out, pulse oximeters will become scarcer than toilet paper.

• @David-Harris said in Coronavirus.:

@zBrown Excellent article. Thanks for posting it.

Of course, now that the word is out, pulse oximeters will become scarcer than toilet paper.

I hear that.

Also, my mom passed in 2008 and at that time there was some concern about the accuracy of commercial units.

Hopefully they have improved.

• @zBrown said in Coronavirus.:

Also, my mom passed in 2008

My mother too, in 2008.

And your time will come and so will mine.

And our children's, and their children, and their children's children's children.

The way of the world.

• @David-Harris

Well I mainly put in the date because I quit paying any attention to oximeters then. So there have been about 12 years to improve the technology.

As for the rest, it may be time to fire up the new topic engine to take a drive down

What is "Death?" Avenue.

I will see if Herr Braun is game!

EDIT

Commercial oximeter accuracy as of 2016

CONCLUSIONS:
    Many low-cost pulse oximeters sold to consumers demonstrate highly inaccurate readings. Unexpectedly, the accuracy of some low-cost pulse oximeters tested here performed similarly to more expensive, ISO-cleared units when measuring hypoxia in healthy subjects. None of those tested here met World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists standards, and the ideal testing conditions do not necessarily translate these findings to the clinical setting. Nonetheless, further development of accurate, low-cost oximeters for use in clinical practice is feasible and, if pursued, could improve access to safe care, especially in low-income countries.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27089002

• Okay, enough about the serious side of this plague.

Browsing the online news today, I saw this headline on CNN: "With restaurants closed, rat sightings are increasing across the United States"

And my first thought was: "I guess with fewer rats being cooked and served, there are a lot more running around outside."

And, to keep it real, I remember visiting my then brother-in-law in London England almost forty years ago, just at the time when there was a big "Kentucky Fried Rat" scandal.

• Don't tell Sierra Ledge Rat!

I miss that guy.

May 26, 2019 - 01:10am PT
    I'm so pissed that I ain't gonna be around on the last day.

You don't wanna be around a pissed-off, broken-hearted old guy.

I am signing off now. My deepest respect to climbers everywhere, and to the climbers here on Supertopo. We have devoted so much time and energy to such useless endeavors, but for us those useless endeavors are what makes us feel alive and human. No one but another climber can understand what we do, what fears we have suffered, what joys we shared with each other.

I'm crying now. Goodbye.

• @zBrown said in Coronavirus.:

I miss that guy.

Me too. If you (or anyone else) have his contact info, you should invite him to join in here.

• With the focus on the Covid-19 pandemic in the last few months it is easy to forget...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/overdose-deaths-bc-1.5607792

• We're # 1, We're # 1!

Unfortunately the U.S. is #1 at growth in Covid 19 cases, & deaths from it. Here's a link to the article. https://www.yahoo.com/…/us-not-done-coronavirus-pandemic-07…

Coronavirus cases by country 6-14.png

• Ribbit!... 🐸 🛁 ⏳

• The low-dose steroid treatment dexamethasone is a major breakthrough in the fight against the deadly virus, UK experts say.

The drug is part of the world's biggest trial testing existing treatments to see if they also work for coronavirus.

It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators. For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth.

Had the drug had been used to treat patients in the UK from the start of the pandemic, up to 5,000 lives could have been saved, researchers say.

And it could be of huge benefit in poorer countries with high numbers of Covid-19 patients.

• @zBrown ...say, hey there, to you, zBrown... thanks for sharing this... had not heard much of anything, lately, as to these things... thank you again, 🙂 been off and on, line, doing yard work... stopping by facebook, off and on, fast, too...

happy good day!

• @zBrown --- hey there, say.... hugs....

when you cry... remember... friends cry with you...

• @neebee Hi neebee - so nice to hear from you🌹
    Live carefully

Even recovered and no symptoms folks are endangered

"Recovery" may not be all it is cracked up to be.

Another unexpected finding, pathologists said, is that oxygen deprivation of the brain and the formation of blood clots may start early in the disease process. That could have major implications for how people with covid-19 are treated at home, even if they never need to be hospitalized.

And

Solomon, whose work was published as a June 12 letter in the New England Journal of Medicine, said the findings suggest the damage had been happening over a longer period of time, which makes him wonder about the virus’s effect on people who are less ill. “The big lingering question is what happens to people who survive covid,” he said. “Is there a lingering effect on the brain?”

• @zBrown ... wow, oh my... 😮 say, been busy... just saw this... thanks again, for sharing...

• Some folks here may recall Riley Wyna, who used to post on ST. This email from him got shared today. Desperate times in Texas hospitals!

Nurse Practitioner Riley Wyna ’s 7/4/2020 post from McAllen, Texas

The media has no idea how bad this has got and how fast it has occurred.
    Towards the end of my shift today I was seeing a new dying patient every 15 minutes.
    Modern medicine has not even imagined anything like this virus let alone had to deal with a disaster of this magnitude.
    Soon everyone will know.

Less than three weeks ago I worked a 36 hour shift in the our covid ER - I saw two patients and slept most of the time. We had one admit in our covid ICU.
    Another patient I had admitted to the covid ICU 6 weeks earlier was triumphantly dced home, in a wheel chair, but alive.

Today we have 120 Covid ICU admits, and as of a few hours ago we were holding another 20 ICU admits in the ER..
    At least ten more wait on stretchers or on chairs and are only hours away from needing a vent. And it seems to be doubling every 4 to 6 days.
    We’ve lost half our staff, and FEMA staff come in tomorrow.

I thought it was our exposure to Mexico but it seems bad all across the south - Cali is maybe a week behind us from what I can tell in our covid groups.
    And it’s just starting.
    The best science can tell, a more infectious mutation has replaced the original Wuhan virus. Not necessarily more deadly but with anywhere from a 2 to 10 percent death rate it doesn’t have to be.
    This virus has a special affinity for the obese and considering McAllen Texas is the fatest place in America with close to 50 percent obesity - it’s hard to describe what I’m seeing everyday.
    The virus also makes pregnant patients very sick. I’ve admitted 5 in the last week.

I’ve seen more pneumonia in two weeks than any ten doctors or NPs see in a year. It’s normal now - we find it even on patients with abdominal pain.

This is a society changing event; and with what science is finding, considering IgG anybodies disappearing after three months - this could very well be an evolutionary bottle neck. This virus [will be] inevitable if we don’t get a vaccine - most of the humans on earth will be infected with this virus sooner or later.