Coronavirus.

• "Asymptomatic carrier" is a term you likely won't hear on TV news, but it is quite possibly another way the Coronavirus can spread.

From Wikipedia: An asymptomatic carrier (healthy carrier or just carrier) is a person or other organism that has become infected with a pathogen, but that displays no signs or symptoms.
    Although unaffected by the pathogen, carriers can transmit it to others or develop symptoms in later stages of the disease. Asymptomatic carriers play a critical role in the transmission of common infectious diseases such as typhoid, C. difficile, influenzas, and HIV. While the mechanism of disease-carrying is still unknown, researchers have made progress towards understanding how certain pathogens can remain dormant in a human for a period of time. A better understanding of asymptomatic disease carriers is crucial to the fields of medicine and public health as they work towards mitigating the spread of common infectious diseases.

The most famous asymptomatic carrier was Typhoid Mary, who was quarantined on a island in New York City, after infecting at least 50 people in the 1890's.

• @FritzRay No question of if. Only ones of when and how bad.

• Re: COVID-19

I have only read of one such case, in China.

Are there other reports?

"A 20-year-old Chinese woman from Wuhan travelled hundreds of miles to another city where she is believed to have infected five relatives without showing signs of infection, scientists in China have said, offering fresh evidence that the new coronavirus can be spread asymptomatically."

• @zBrown , say, i remember reading (when very young, in school) about 'typhoid' mary... and, i felt so bad for her... 😞 and, how her course of life hurt so many, and how she was stuck with that situation, of what happened, all her life, 😞

• so glad I no longer drink alcohol so don't have to worry about Corona virus. Should I also be concerned with limes?

• And now we have a couple new cases in CA from folks who had NO contact with any known cases. High School in Seattle closed down. I suspect we ain't seen nothin' yet....

Stay out of airports and crowded places in general to the extent you are able. Better yet: Go climbing. Lower population densities at the crags. Or are they??? Hmmm......🤔

• zbrown! I have not previously seen the bit of news you posted.

"A 20-year-old Chinese woman from Wuhan travelled hundreds of miles to another city where she is believed to have infected five relatives without showing signs of infection, scientists in China have said, offering fresh evidence that the new coronavirus can be spread asymptomatically."

Makes sense there will be more cases like that. I have heard newscasters use the term "community transfer" multiple times, without more explanation. The CDC did mention they were investigating "asymptomatic spread" of Coronavirus 5 days back. I found this mention in a 3 day old CDC report.
    "Can someone spread the virus without being sick?
    People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest).
    Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads."
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

• As this unroll in the coming weeks, I am wondering if I will get stuck somewhere due to travel bans.

If this happens, could it drill down to interstate via personal vehicle?

Usually I hold off doing my taxes so can use the return to begin travel back to NY. Past experience tell a me it is best not to file very far ahead of my start to travel date. But if a ban came today(which, I know, isn't going to occur), I'd be stuck here in Quartzsite with a population with a median age of 66, in temps becoming too high for any reasonable personal to do vanliving with a dog.

I am thinking, though, that I had better file this week and head to Sedona/Flagstaff area.

• https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/485602-virus-expert-as-much-as-70-percent-of-worlds?amp

"Marc Lipsitch told CBS News in an interview airing Monday that "40 to 70 percent" of the global population could become infected with coronavirus and that it's "almost inevitable" that the virus will impact the "entire globe." He added that 1 percent of those who develop symptoms could die. "

• there is a case in our local hospital Dartmouth Hitchcock..

• so the DHMC employee that had Covid19 and was confined to their home left their home and attended an invitation only event where they infected at least one person.. Who does something like that knowingly???

• @NickG Perhaps that employee suffers OOITWS (Only One in the World Syndrome.) It is usually not fatal, but can be.

• @FritzRay DHMC is a hospital. you would think a health care worker would respect a stay at home request with a contagious disease....

• @Happiegrrrl -- hey there say, happiegrrl... oh my... say, hope all this works out... where are you now?? i am FOUR days late here... will check your facebook, 🙂

• A comment I read. Are these items facts? I do not know.

"
    ……there are many issues that seem more important…….yet there is a very high probability that this virus could decimate our population….fact 20% of all cases in China need severe or critical care….fact there is no immunity to this virus because it is new (this is not Lake influenza)….fact the incubation period is longer than 3 weeks…..fact the virus attacks the lungs and is more aggressive than any influenza seen to date…..fact the C19 virus can be transmitted in sweat droplets and through transfer from food…..there is no immunity, no vaccine and the only treatment currently available does not exist….this is not a movie or tv show….this real! "

• But wait! Although the World Health Organization reported this week that the death rate for the coronavirus increased to 3.4% and is more lethal than the flu, on the Hannity Show on Fox Network last night, our president set out the facts.

But President Donald Trump, citing only a "hunch," called the number provided by world health leaders "false." He added, "now, this is just my hunch, based on a lot of conversations with a lot of people that do this, because a lot of people will have this, and it's very mild." Trump later put the number at less than 1%. In the Hannity interview, Trump said that a "lot of people" have "very mild" cases of coronavirus, and don't even see a doctor. They get better, he said, "by, you know, sitting around and even going to work."

So folks. Nothing to worry about.

• A lot of conversations? He only talks to himself.