Error: What does this mean?

• Received this when trying to post:

"ERROR
    As a new user, you can only post once every 120 second(s) until you have earned 3 reputation - please wait before posting again"

What's a 3 reputation?

• There was a bit of a time where forums could and would get hit by a gross amount of spam (that's... a dozen dozen, right?). To combat this many forums implemented a system to limit the amount of damage any one spammer could do; this is from that same system. As I understand it, Ken is leaving it on for now?

What it ends up meaning is that you've been upvoted at least 3 times, a little bit silly and arbitrary of a thing, but the end goal is to not have the forums ruined by spam.

P.s., your reputation is now 4, post til your heart's content!

• Gonna see what Ken says, maybe this can be handled a different way that isn't so annoying

• @halfwit

Indeed. Hopefully none of y'all upvote forum board spammer 'chit, else kind of defeats the purpose. Legit posters will be green lighted with relative ease.

Merely having the "algo" posted here is a clue bat for the miscreants, but then all but the most clueless script kiddies already know that as well. Bottom line is that you're never going to defeat a determined attacker. So you try to up the ante enough that they go looking elsewhere for lower hanging fruit. So, yes, I will leave it on.

• @halfwit said in Error: What does this mean?:

There was a bit of a time where forums could and would get hit by a gross amount of spam (that's... a dozen dozen, right?). To combat this many forums implemented a system to limit the amount of damage any one spammer could do; this is from that same system. As I understand it, Ken is leaving it on for now?

What it ends up meaning is that you've been upvoted at least 3 times, a little bit silly and arbitrary of a thing, but the end goal is to not have the forums ruined by spam.

P.s., your reputation is now 4, post til your heart's content!

Cheers dood. Saw the notifications.