Gunfights.

• Wyat Earp and Doc Holliday must have had some damn good press agents to become so famous over that little 30 second dust up. Heck we got bigger and better shootouts almost every day now and no one knows or cares about them. One of the more notorious was the FBI getting their butt kicked in 1986 but few people know much about it outside of law enforcement and almost no one knows the name of the severely wounded FBI agent who survived and finished the bad guys off with his backup .38sp. They did just make a movie about the 96 LA bank robbery but that's just one movie. Heck the Earps and Doc have dozens and dozens of movies..

• Okay. Dillinger had a few. Where ya going with this? LA? NYC? Pensacola?

• Good idea Nick

https://www.cowboysindians.com/2015/08/top-10-gunfights/

"Sometimes two opposing gunmen would be very close and would circle each other, like caged animals, before opening fire on each other. In 1865, in one of the few actual documented gunfights (with evidence and valid testimony), James Butler Hickok ("Wild Bill" Hickok) had a bad quarrel with Davis Tutt in Springfield, Missouri. The fight was over a debt. At around 6PM, the two advanced on each other in the town square. The men drew guns at a distance of around 50 yards and blasted away. Tutt missed. Wild Bill didn't. Tutt fell with a bullet through his heart. Hickok was tried for manslaughter and acquitted"

• what I am getting at is the newspapers of the day and the tabloids/ Dime novels turned these guys into legends. their skills embellished way beyond reality. the #1 thing they had going for them was not skill but willingness to kill. In Hitchcocks case he did have skill to go with his willingness to kill. . as a former civil war sniper he knew accuracy was more important than speed. there are gunfights every day now that no one even knows about. Point being that those guys had great press and became famous over small often dirty deeds..

• @NickG said in Gunfights.:

Point being that those guys had great press and became famous over small often dirty deeds..

That's because that was what the eastern inhabitants fed on at the time. Media exploits peoples ideals of heroism. The lawmen of the "cowboy" days were often criminals who took over small towns for their own profit, not benevolent peace keepers.

• The earps had definatly been into some crooked shit over the years.. . Seems like the mass shooters these days get all the press and the outlaws and lawmen are completely forgotten. I thought of this yesterday when I read about the latest gunfight in Jersey city. The idea of the honorable gunfight was for the most part completely fabricated.. For every stand up dual there were a hundred ambushes and petty murders. It seems that the dime novelists created completely fraudulent picture of what life on the frontier was really about. The fall out from that whole make believe story is the gun culture we have now. All that being said I bought into it hook line and sinker. Pretty certain that I have read every single Louis Lamour book ever written. Bought my first .36cal 1851 navy (same rig Hitchcock preferred) at the age of 14 and practiced my quick draw.. I have a trunk full of trophys somewhere out in the woodshed..

• Nick! That's interesting. I never bought into the gunfight thing, but I was impressed by my older brother's prowness with his S&W 6" barrel 22 cal revolver, back in the 1960's. He married a woman with 4 children, & with his brand new Forestry degree, went to work for the Forest Service in Jackson Hole at a starvation wage for 6 people. He was always into hunting, but while he was out crusing timber for sales northeast of Jackson Hole, he covertly packed that pistol along.

As he explained it, he would see a deer, stop & try a head shot. If the deer went down, he dragged it into the trees, gutted it, & came back after work. Yep! Poaching on government time, definate outlaw behavior. He never got busted & I never wanted to be an outlaw or a poacher, but I bought a 6" barrel SW 22 revolver at age 17 & shot it enough I could hit a rabbit at 100 yards, which as you know is a rare shot for a pistol.

On the other-hand, I vividly remember a police dash-cam video from about 10 years back, where the cop & two bad guys, all with semi-automatic pistols, emptied them at each other from 30' away. Then the untouched bad guys jumped back in their car & fled, & the unwounded cop jumped back in his cruiser & called for backup.

• @NickG said in Gunfights.:

It seems that the dime novelists created completely fraudulent picture of what life on the frontier was really about.

Same for the era of gangsters like Dillinger, Bonnie & Clyde, etc. Glamorized by the media....

• I have seen training videos of a trooper emptying his 6 shot .357 mag across the hood of his car at a suspect doing the same and they both missed at the didstance of the width of the cruiser. Pretty shure the cop pulled low right and nailed his cruiser 6 times.. My experience in competition was that most cops were horrible pistol shots under stress. 99% of the time they showed up for one match, were embaressed and never came back. The few cops who competed regularly were dead nuts and had ice water in their veins. Usually those guys were the firearms instructors for their departments. One of the police instructors that I regularly competetd with , late 80's and early90s Russ James (also captain of US shooting team) would bring his wife Debbie James to work and have the students try to beat her. Closest they ever came was 400% ass whooping by the lady. She was woman's world champion at the time. I don't think I ever beat her. I did beat Russ once when he had a bad day and I had a good day 🙂

• I shot with Russ, Debbie and Mark once or twice a month at regional matches. Always tried to get on their squad and they were super helpful. Scroll to the bottom of the page for the competition stuff.

link text