I want to wish everyone here a Happy Thanksgiving with best wishes from Heidi & me!

• After we changed travel plans due to weather concerns, we are enjoying a quiet Thanksgiving at home. Heidi worked up this Thanksgiving display with two holiday-themed old purses & an old Native-American doll.
    IMG_3030.JPG

We like to dine late, so dinner isn't ready for a while. Based on past years, you may be able to guess what we are having.
    IMG_1932.JPG

We share best hopes for everyone being inside & warm & well-fed on this lifestyle celebration day, unless of course, you are choosing to be outdoors, cold, & hungry.

Here's hoping we who have more, remember this Franklin Roosevelt saying.

IMG_0959.JPG

• Good on ya' Fritz! Best to you and Heidi as well. 🦃 🍷

Deserves a signature update. 👍

• WTF? Thanksgiving was six weeks ago. Are you in a time wa...

Oh, wait. You're American.

In which case, best wishes to you and Heidi, and to all else who wander in here from time to time.

• I seem to recall a football game being shorted for Heidi

In around 1968

"The lady has staying power"said the Stoned Master's apprentice

Thanks for the wishes

• @zBrown said in I want to wish everyone here a Happy Thanksgiving with best wishes from Heidi & me!:

I seem to recall a football game being shorted for Heidi

In around 1968

"The lady has staying power"said the Stoned Master's apprentice

Thanks for the wishes

Yeah. Jets down by 2 scores with 2 minutes (?) left. The network figured it was over and switched to Heidi. Namath and the team scored two TD's to win the game.

Had a great T-Day with my sister's four kids and 13 grandkids. Good times.

Fritz: is that a turkey or an ostrich?

• @johntp

Speaking of football, ostriches and such:

"We went through that 20 years ago ...

They turned out to be harder to manage (fence, herd, etc.), slower to reproduce, and required new slaughter/packing operations since birds/fowl require different ones than quadrapeds like cattle, hogs, sheep, bison, elk but the sheer size and weight of an ostrich is obviously wrong for a facility designed for chickens, duck, turkeys, etc..

Slaughter plants are a challenge for all types of meat these days, the small facilities with highly skilled staffs who could handle a wide range of animals and resulting products are nearly all gone now thanks to big operations that focused on speed and lowest operating costs with lousy results on every other metric and destruction of the highly skilled, well paid meatpackers (like the local workers that funded the NFL’s Green Bay Packers franchise in their city.)"

• Johntp! Re your asking: "Fritz: is that a turkey or an ostrich?" Turkey for sure, never had the desire to eat ostrich. We save our most exotic Idaho culinary delicacy, hair-on flame roasted skunk, for our outdoors Solstice Eve celebration.

IMG_2446-enhanced-small.jpg

• @zBrown said in I want to wish everyone here a Happy Thanksgiving with best wishes from Heidi & me!:

required new slaughter/packing operations since birds/fowl require different ones than quadrapeds like cattle, hogs, sheep, bison, elk

I wasn't sure whether to post this or not, but since you mention the facilities required for elk...

We went looking for a way to get to what appeared (on Google Earth) to be a decent-size crag in the hills above town. A logging road provided a good start, but once we reached the point where it had been "decommissioned" things got a bit tricky. We managed another half mile, taking very slowly over the water trenches, but eventually decided we should park the car and start hiking.

But the pullout we were looking at turned out to be unsuitable -- seriously unsuitable. In country overrun with bears (both black and grizzly) and mountain lions, who wants to leave a car beside this...

20191124_132826.jpg

Yup, we'd obviously discovered one of those hi-tech elk slaughterhouses that zBrown mentioned.

The head was lying just a foot away, but it was a mess, and I'll spare you the picture.

Anyway someone put some serious food on the table (and in the freezer) even if it's not Thanksgiving here.