Where Is This ?

• @FritzRay said in Where is this ?:

It must be in Greenland. Mt. Asgard whispers in my hind-brain?

Hmmm... You may be getting a bit too close to be allowed to live.

I talked to my colleague James Bond, suggesting that your expedient demise might be in the national interest, but he said "No, as long as he thinks this is on Greenland, you should encourage him. But if he gets closer to the truth, then yes XPD is called for."

Now James is a good friend, and not one to cross, but I don't think he is aware of this forum, so here's something for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaEU_A405zA

• @johntp - Tuolumne Meadows, Cathedral Peak descent trail. This photo was from a great day.. beautiful views, perfect weather, and a lot of climbing in a short amount of time

• lotus flower tower from a different angle?

• @David-Harris my thought was that sand in the felt of the film canister would leave marks like that when you put the film in the processing machine. but its also possible somehow it got in the camera over the course of 3 weeks living in the dirt.. It was 1996 so memory not super clear but probable I had a film dump bag that exposed film went in where they were all in the bag loose and not in in the little plastic cans.

• David: Per your comment: "Hmmm... You may be getting a bit too close to be allowed to live."

I saw that & thought I must be close, then staggered off to bed. About the time my eyes closed, I thought: "Not Greenland old fellow, Baffin Island!" Mt. Asgard on Baffin Island. Happily, when I opened this thread this morning, I remembered!

• @J-Fengel said in Where is this ?:

@johntp - Tuolumne Meadows, Cathedral Peak descent trail. This photo was from a great day.. beautiful views, perfect weather, and a lot of climbing in a short amount of time

Wow. I've done Cathedral and don't recall that feature.

• This post is deleted!

• here is two for Jaybro. two different climbs in vastly different areas. the shot of Bella is most likely at the base of one of them.. probably the 1st one? It was super steep getting up to the base of the climb with the pictograph at the start and I think bella might have stayed under the truck??? off leash naturally... Not My Dog btw so I don't know what the etiquette is for true desert rats. she was pretty darn gud dog though.

Goldsm-R1-2.jpg

6Golds-R1-32.jpg

• This post is deleted!

• So the shot of Alex leading , red helmet, red chalk bag I am quite certain is Sparkling Touch in the Bridger Jacks. The petrograph is at the start of Prayer Stick..

• Moving on from Southern Utah, here's one that at least some of you might recognize.

Where is this?

Hint: One of "The Fifty Classic Climbs of North America" is clearly visible.

Liberty Bell group from E.jpg

• @David-Harris said in Where is this ?:

Hint: One of "The Fifty Classic Climbs of North America" is clearly visible.

Liberty Bell?

• @David-Harris @johntp - I broke out the 50 Classics book.. was going to say, "is it twenty miles east of the ice-clad peaks of Cascade Pass?"

• @johntp Yes. Liberty Bell is the peak on the right, and Liberty Crack (one of the 50 Classics) is (I think) the left-hand skyline.

But the climbing in that group is far more than Liberty Crack. On the backside of Liberty Bell is the popular "Beckey Route", a 5.6 romp to a fine summit. But, for me, the main attraction is the dark face of the right-most of the two summits at the far left. Those two are the Early Winters Spires. North Early Winter on the right, and South Early Winter on the left.

The whole group is perfect granite. A combination of beautiful slabs and splitter cracks, almost to the point where you could believe they were put here on earth just for us climbers. Just over two hours from Seattle to the trailhead, and another easy hour-and-a-half to the base of the climbing.

And the climbing is incredible. Routes at every grade you might want, and scope for more.

Edit to add: Oh, yeah... and it's less crowded than JT or Yosemite or Squamish.

• Hmm?

Little Lakes Valley.jpg

• No Idea but it looks Awesome 🙂

• Somewhere in the Sierra?

• @johntp. @J-Fengel

One of the few I've had a clue about since I did not do much mountaineering nor alpine stuff. It has been said that when you're lucky even shit will do fer' brains. A few decades back I was lucky enough to have a summer job in the general neck of these woods...

Too early yet to spill johntp's beans but..... uhh... yeah... Sierras, East Side 😉

• That is taken in Little Lakes Valley up Rock Creek out of Bishop, CA. The real pic is better, here it looks washed out. Bear Creek Spire right of center. The triangular bit on the far right is about 800' of mixed choss and obsidian composite.

@J-Fengel : there are some fun routes on Bear Creek Spire.

• On the lighter side:

Paul casual belay.jpg