Winter climbing

• @NickG said in Winter climbing:

and had my fix. 3 naked threads to get down with my 60m 6mm tag.

Never used a naked thread. Plenty of V-threads, but had never even heard of a naked rope thread until it came up here.

Any thoughts of the trade-off between leaving a couple of dollars worth of cord vs the possibility of your rope freezing in place?

• Its all the rage these days and the climbing police over on MP will give you hell for leaving cord.. I kind of prefer to make good threads and have them in place as fixed anchors for most of the season but when rapping with a single tag I often miss the fixed threads so will go naked. also great move if you run out of cord. as far as getting your rope frozen in it can happen even without nekkid. If the ice is wet and its cold out, especially if the sun just went down things freeze up super fast. You need to rappel fast and the 2nd person down must check to make Shure the ropes are still moving. I won't do a naked thread in those conditions. A few weeks ago the ropes almost froze because the ice was wet but I was so heated up from climbing that I thought it was above freezeing when it was actually below freezing.. I had to clip into the end of the rope and jump really hard to get them free. It was a good reminder. If the ice is cold and dry its super safe.

• Just got new tools. same ones I have been using. X dreams. this was my 6th season on them and I was not feeling good about it. Really should replace tools every 3 seasons if you are serious climber. Its all or nothing if the head pops off... Happened to my friend Alden on a WI6 pitch in Alberta. Fortunately it was in the days of leashes so when the head broke off his Grivel machine he was left hanging from the leash.. somehow able to get his spare tool out and finish the pitch...

Really should replace tools every 3 seasons if you are serious climber.

So, if anything around here in the so-called Great White North actually froze, you're saying I shouldn't use my 30-year-old Black Prophets?

• they are likely fine. they made them tougher back then.. I still use my old blue chiounard ax now and then I just do so much soloing and leading at my limit I should probably stick to relatively new tools instead of old beat up new tools. ..

• @NickG Indoubitably.....

• Wintery mix day from work. Mostly worked on trying to get my domain names restored and my website and email back up... then I scooted out to a nice 40ft tall road cut not far from home. tall enough I starting thinking that I should maybe wear a swami and carry a few screws and a tag.. Its tall enough and steep enough that I am not certain I could one hop top out or maybe even one hop down climb successfully if a crampon popped off or broke...
    IMG_3702.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg
    it was sloppy heavy shit and I got stuck at the top of the hill just 20ft shy of the cabin door. had to beat it pretty hard to get turned around and stuffed into my emergency parking spot out of the way of plowing. IMG_3715.jpg
    By the time I had the old beast filled with various vital fluids, fired up and plowed I was pretty beat. went to bring the van the rest of the way home and zero heat. No blower motor or switch? I beat her pretty hard getting up the hill and then slideing backwards through the saplings. maybe I knocked a wire loose?? deal with it in the am but it really sucks being stranded on a good climbing weekend.... had a partner lined up and everything. going to be -12 f tomorrow. I am not going anywhere serious with no defroster fan...

but it really sucks being stranded on a good climbing weekend.... had a partner lined up and everything. going to be -12 f tomorrow. I am not going anywhere serious with no defroster fan...

On the other hand, you have a warm home, a job, and don't have to choose between fixing your vehicle and feeding your children.

Still, first-world problem or not, I sympathize.

• totally a first worldproblem. Missed my Friday night music jam because of car trouble...

• Drove an hour to Holts. Windshield stayed clear but I froze my ars off.
    Climbed the pillar on the left. it went much harder than it looks.
    IMG_3754.jpg

Did it in two just to get my partner and the rope out from under that hanger and my glasses were completely fogged up from being over dressed.
    IMG_3756.jpg

IMG_3770.jpg
    that little pillar at the top was steep and thin. It looked wide but was really a thin curtain.
    then Tim got to lead a nice 3.
    IMG_3778.jpg
    IMG_3783.jpg

• In some places winter climbing doesn’t have to be in winter
    A58C755F-A98E-4311-9B2F-CDC6EE2C8EBB.jpeg

• Those are some nasty looking screws! Brings back nightmares just looking at them. No wonder your not Keen on ice climbing πŸ˜‰

• Skinned to the top of Mt Hoar which gave us a really nice view of the big side of lake Willoughby
    IMG_3792.jpg
    lots of fresh Pow.
    IMG_3801.jpg
    IMG_3802.jpg
    IMG_3807.jpg
    Its been a few years of Nordic and AT but Isa remembers how to telle. πŸ™‚
    IMG_3809.jpg
    IMG_3812.jpg
    Pleasantly tuckered out I try to take it easy the rest of the evening. Isa is still resting her shoulder so I am meeting Pete at the lake in the morning. Pete is young and strong.
    Its way colder than I had expected and the ice is as dry and brittle as it gets. We get skunked from our goal of Called On account of Raines by a strong looking team from NH that is packed and ready just as we are pulling into the parking spot. We decide on the Right side of The Last Gentleman. We have both done the left variation a bunch of times but though the right side shares the same Grade 5 it is much steeper and harder than the regular line. I lead a long pitch that starts with thin hollow snice that gradually thickens and steepens to vertical. several times my picks bounce off of rock under thin snice.. Feet were cold and never got the feeling into my left hand until I was finished making belay and had Pete about half way up the pitch. Fingers are still tingling. Pete hikes the brutally steep 2nd pitch in great style.
    IMG_3831.jpg

IMG_3861.jpg
    I lead a relatively mellow pitch to get to the final business. Though incredibly exposed with several nice short steep sections its easy 4
    IMG_3867.jpg
    Pete hikes the final steep pillars to a very uncomfortable hanging station in the cedars.
    IMG_3876.jpg
    IMG_3885.jpg
    and its time to go home.
    IMG_3901.jpg
    IMG_3905.jpg
    Pleasantly worked πŸ™‚

• @NickG Lucky you.
    Looks like you got your money's worth today.