Deadly Sierra Season This Year

• We've had what seems to be a pretty rough year in the Sierras. Most you probably know about the two young women who died on Red Slate recently. That hit the Mammoth community pretty hard and felt strange to me because I soloed the peak in July, carefully avoided the north couloir that killed the women after seeing evidence of recent rock fall and melting out. But there have been a number of other deaths, too--Mt. Sill, Mt. Darwin, and others. I guess this is a numbers game, but I was wondering grimly: What is the Sierra's deadliest peak? Whitney because of the huge number of climbers? Does anyone know?

• Peak? Can't say with certainty. El Cap probably fits the bill, but most don't consider it a "peak" climb and don't think that's what you are looking for. Banner or Ritter?

• Was a little shocked to hear from Dean that he'd done a double body recovery on the east face. For some unfathomable reason, a couple had ascended the couloir successfully but then tried to descend the ultra-crappy east face. People, there's a friggin' walk off the NW side. Too easy to loop back around. Too easy. Actually, there's a walk off the south side, too!

• @BAd-clYmber said in Deadly Sierra Season This Year:

Was a little shocked to hear from Dean that he'd done a double body recovery on the east face. For some unfathomable reason, a couple had ascended the couloir successfully but then tried to descend the ultra-crappy east face. People, there's a friggin' walk off the NW side. Too easy to loop back around. Too easy. Actually, there's a walk off the south side, too!

From what I understand the deceased were found in the gully. Are the reports wrong? Red Slate Mountain, right?

https://rockandice.com/climbing-news/two-women-lost-on-red-slate-mountain-did-everything-right/

• You're correct about the women. Dean Rosnau was on ANOTHER double body recovery years ago. That's four and counting for Red Slate. Next time I go up, I'll have to look for ol' "Green Boots."

• I don't have any facts to support it, but over the years it seems there have been more fatalities on Banner/Ritter than any other Sierra peaks.