Whatever Happened To??

• The slackline stuff I posted earlier got me waxing nostalgic....

Chongo Chuck was a master of the slack line. The few times he was around anyways. Dude had incredible sense of balance. Once upon a time I was doing one legged squats, balancing on the ball of my foot off my tailgate when Chuck cruised by, grabbed a 4x4 about two foot long from the bed of my truck and proceeded to do same from off the 4x4, stood on end, with his other leg extended out in front of him. I heard tell later that he could do that trick off a section of 2x4 ... I mean, you never saw the dude climb anything but he sure had mad skillz in the balance department.... o.O

Was never that "tight" with Chuck, as he spent most of his time in Mexico seducing the Senoritas with those big blues, muling Chongo Rubber (and likely a few other things, including a couple hottie "wifes" - they did not stick 'round HVC very long... Heh....) across the border.... Was pretty tight with "Team Chongo"[1] - his two bro's Rich and Dave though. Dave took a bad fall when he was feeling "a little too good" one day whilst onsight free soloing some 5.11 something or other in Yosemite. Pretty much put an end to Dave's craggin' days. Last I heard they were around SD County somewhere, maybe homeless, and that Rich had died.

Which brings me to the topic at hand... Whatever happened to:

• "The Scrutinizer" - Yes, I do know his real name and even had his address once upon a time. If you're a friend then you know he's private that way so please don't post it here.

• Alf - Yes, that pyro of infamy that torched off Pinched Rib cuz he got tired of all the Spring Breakers trodding thru his site.

• "Chongo" Dave Tucker

• Michael J. Paul, a.k.a. "Watusi" and/or "Pinky Lee" to some post accident and loss of his left pinky.

• Dave Paul - Mike's biological brother.

• Stephan from Germany - I jumped on the Grand Wall w/you after your gf pulled a muscle. You'd overstayed your Visa and heading home whilst I was another few months of road trippin' so I relented and gave you the roll of 35mm that, despite promise, never got sent back my way. All is forgiven, just cough up those shots of me leading the Split Pillar!

• Konrad Huberle from Germany - We partnered up for a couple/few weeks at HVC mid eighties, ticking off classic 5.8/9 stuff. Good times. "Koni" was a cabinet maker's apprentice at the time.

• John Liebelt (sp?) - Did not hang with John a lot but we did do Half Dome together. John worked construction around Tahoe area.

• Andrew Ellis - Goody buddy of mine from college days. Last known whereabouts was living on a beach somewhere on one of the Hawaiian islands but that has been a good couple decades now. Where the f'sck are you bro?

• Add your buddies here....

And a long list of others but there's a start.

P.S.; It is not my intent to intrude on anybody's privacy here. These are fellow dirt bag "neighbors" from bitd, that I lost touch with these past decades since I've stopped living the life of a nomad and I'm curious about their adventures... Hope they're all doing well.

1. As they took to calling themselves as they adopted the "Team" from "Team Husky", comprised of my two Siberian Husky running mates, Willy and Jory. 🐕 🐕 😎

• Got nothing. Never met any of them. Chongo was portrayed on "Valley Uprising" as being evicted from Yos and living under a bridge in SoCal.

• Bob Toeple, from CA - climbed with him in the late 1950s. ???

• Anyone know the contact information for Mark Klemens? Luke Freeman wants to get in touch with him just to say hi .
    Darwin
    (I couldn't tell if there was a separate thread for tracking people down)

• @was-dar As it turns out... there is. Merged. Maybe it could use a more descriptive title. A one word tag for our tag cloud would also be good but that word is escaping me at present. But then I am only a dog. Maybe you people have some ideas. Suggestions welcome. 🐕

• @toby thanks. Obvious in retrospect.

• "Chongo" Dave Tucker Update:

For interested parties who may not know, Dwain Warren reports Dave Tucker, a.k.a. "Chongo Dave", of "Team Chongo" fame (too many HVC Daves bitd; Too Strong, Young Strong, Yucca, etc. so nics naturally evolved to keep 'em sorted), died several years back. I am saddened greatly by this news, as I had always hoped our paths would cross again. Maybe someday.

Rest in peace, brother. I wish you well on your adventures in the next life. Thank you for the memories. ✌

• hey there, say, folks... didn't know where to ask... not sure WHICH topic i picked last time... but, anyone know justin ross... his card came back-- needing NEW ADDRESS...
    though, it was good last year...

chime in, if you can... hugs, to all, in the forum... 🙂

• Alf...building tiny houses with solar. Last I heard he was near Twisp, WA

• @neebee thank you all... i did get his address... 🙂

now, i wonder where WALLEYE is... ???

• hey there say, all... is john musgrove around, in any circles... ?
    his card came back, too... wrong po. box now... (from calif) ...

thanks guys!

• @neebee Thanks for reviving this thread else ....

@john-bald Thanks bunches! Perchance do you have contact info? If so, please PM me and/or encourage him to join up. 👍

• @toby I happened to reconnect with Alf via Facebook a few years ago. That is my only contact info I have. Fun to see old friends again. Happy holidays to you!

Alf3.JPG

After our freeing of the Direct East Face of Whitney in the early '80s

• @john-bald Awsome blast from the past! Looks exactly how I'd remembered. And I'll bet he resoled those Fire's himself. 👍

I don't do FB. If perchance your paths cross again please do relay best regards from "Mush Puppy Ken". 🐕

Update - 12/26: I never knew Alf's last name, nor much of his "story". The Twisp, WA bit turned out to be key. For those who may be interested:

Alf's Blogger Profile

I've shot him off an email. Blog comments seem to be borked. Likely has better things to do but hoping he drops in. Thanks again, John.

Update - 12/27: Found an Outside TV bit on Alf:

Dirtbag Rock Climber Alf Randell | Dispatches

Heh, we have all kinds of posers marketing themselves as "Regular Dirtbags" nowadays but Alf is the real deal. Least wise back in my day.

Cool, cool, cool to have found this. I'd kind of given up on this thread bearing fruit but now need to add a few more names to the list. 😉

• I haven't seen Alf in probably 13 years, thanks for the update. He's a good guy. He was doing Wild Iris, Enchanted Tower, IC, for many years.

I wouldn't have thought he'd be on Facebook in a million years.

• @Heyzeus I didn't get the impression he spends much time there since it got taken over by hate politics. His email address can be found in the blogger link above. If he replies, which he did to mine promptly, his cell number is in his signature. Chewed the fat for a good hour recently and have tentative plans to visit next time we're in WA. Like more than a few dirtbags from back in the day, he's put off by what climbing has become modern times and taken up new modes of enjoying the great outdoors: Ski skating, which he opined involves a lot of "wiggling your butt" and a great cardio and core workout. Seems to be doing well - but also values his privacy so I won't go on too much more here. 🤐 🙂

Edit: Or is is skate skiing? Never been a skier. I know. Sad. OTOH, both my knees are still doing pretty well as well.... 😜