Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty....the Cat Thread

• bolded textIMG_1822.JPG

• We noticed Karaokee Cat in the window of Stanley, Idaho's Rod & Gun Club this week. The club was closed that day, but the cat wanted to party. In the 1970's the club was owned by Casanova Jack & featured his band on Stanley Stomp nights. A curious blend of river guides, hippies, & cowboys enjoyed the liquor, the smoke, the band, & the occasional fights when a cowboy decided to teach a hippie a lesson. Of course, some of those hippies were Vietnam Vets & would teach the cowboy a lesson instead. Ah the good old daze.

20190822_200008.jpg

• @FritzRay said in Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty....the Cat Thread:

In the 1970's the club was owned by Casanova Jack & featured his band on Stanley Stomp nights. A curious blend of river guides, hippies, & cowboys enjoyed the liquor, the smoke, the band, & the occasional fights when a cowboy decided to teach a hippie a lesson. Of course, some of those hippies were Vietnam Vets & would teach the cowboy a lesson instead. Ah the good old daze.

Your description of that bar reminds me of so many others just like it. So I think you might like the lyrics to Guy Clark's song "Out in the Parking Lot".

Normally, I'd include a link to a youtube version, but, while there is no shortage of links to him singing it, they're all recent and really don't convey the feeling the way his older version (which I have on CD) does. If you ever find yourself up here I'll happily pour you a glass of wine and play it for you.

And, for whatever image they create for you, here are the lyrics...

I was sitting on the fender of someone else's truck
    Drinking Old Crow whisky, and hot 7-up…
    Out in the parking lot

You can hear the band playing, right through the wall
    Ain't no cover charge, and there ain't no last call…
    Out in the parking lot

Now there's a couple of cowboys puttin' up their dukes
    Wasn't much to it, then both of them puked…
    Out in the parking lot

Now someone called the police and the police finally came
    And they wrote a couple of tickets and they took a couple of names…
    Out in the parking lot

I love to see the neon dancing on the gravel
    I love to hear the pickup trucks come unraveled
    Some have given up, some have given in
    Looks like everybody's looking for a friend
    Out in the parking lot

Oops, there's a couple who could not wait to get home
    They're probably in love so let's leave them alone…
    Out in the parking lot

The band is on the bus, they're all loaded up to leave
    But the drummer's got a girlfriend and she's tugging at his sleeve…
    Out in the parking lot

I love to see the neon dancin' on the gravel
    I love to hear the pickup trucks come unraveled
    Some have given up, some have given in
    Looks like everybody's looking for a friend
    Out in the parking lot

Everybody's gone, they've shut out all the lights
    The dust begins to settle and it's never been so quiet…
    Out in the parking lot

• David! Thank you for sharing that song/poem.

I enjoyed being both a hippie climber & a Middle Fork Salmon river guide in Stanley in the early 1970's. I confess to never seeing a fight in Stanley, but a hippie friend enjoyed a "two-hit" fight with a cowboy in the Rod & Gun Club in that era. The cowboy hit him & he hit the floor, knocked out.

• @FritzRay

Yeah, same same. I'd left river guiding behind and moved to Vancouver in the early 70s... and discovered climbing. Which, for rock, meant Squamish. Yeah there were endless mountain adventures above, but 45 minutes from Vancouver was one of the most incredible rock-climbing venues in North America.

But as much as the climbing was otherworldly, the town of Squamish was... how to say this... maybe the most positive way one could describe it was that is was the armpit of the universe. Yeah, yeah, it's the hippest outdoor recreation center you could hope to visit now, but 40 years ago it was nowhere you wanted to be when you came down from the walls of the Chief.

There were two bars, both serving equally bad beer and offering fights between climbers and loggers.

Yeah, those were the days

• Harley (the cat) bump!

Donini & Harley. Jim knew how to turn on Harley's laser-eyes function.

Harley-the laser eye cat..JPG

• Harley is really a nice cat, most of the time. When he took possession of my laptop & gave me "the look," I didn't want to mess with him.

Laptop.JPG

"Hey! Is that a mouse?"
    IMG_7368.JPG

• Two oranges

IMG_2109.JPG IMG_0302.JPG

• IMG_0010.JPG

My kid Iggy with a baby African Lion at the Guadalajara Zoo

• @Scole Coolio. How old, eh? 🐕

• "Coolio. How old, eh?"

The cat or the kid? Iggy is 15 now, this was about five years ago. The cat was about 2 months old I think.

• Never really liked cats. Plus I'm allergic.
    Then, about 3 years ago, I rescued one...
    My allergy is slowly subsiding and I like her!

• @Scole Nice. A great age. Enjoy these last few years before he fledges, eh?

@ACOPA Sigh.... I am allergic as well. Never anything against cats other than they seemed to have something against me. I am mainly a dog person but into animals in general. Maintained a small pack during my recreational musher days in AK. I dig the big social cats, e.g. Serengeti Lion. Very interesting documentary on Netflix called something like "Saving Sirga: Journey Into the Heart of a Lion". Toby recommended. 👍 🐕

• Fall arrived here last night with a storm, & daytime temps have gone from the mid-90's f. to the mid 70's today. At 6:30 PM tonight Harley (the cat) wanted some sunshine & Heidi helped him out with an elevated sun-bath platform.

IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_2340.JPG

• @FritzRay

!Aye, caramba!

Some people's cats, eh?!!