Anbody out there actually climb anymore?

• This is supposed to be a climbing forum, lets hear some climbing stories! They don't need to be true.

• @Scole I totally sent the blue route in the gym this afternoon.

Truth.

And Bruce Kay (some of you may remember him) sent the red route. Of course, he is both younger and taller than I am, so I'm going to hold off on trying the red route until I am younger and taller too.

• @Scole! After a cold week with house guests, now it's highs in the low 60's during the day & I'm working hard (for a 70-year old) doing "honey-dos," tree cutting, burning, weed-wacking, & all the stuff our 5-acre ranchette needs before snow.

Any day now, I'll post some climbing stories.

Deborah Cleare small.jpg

• It's a great activity when it's still pleasurable, but once you leave it you might find its seductive appeal slowly vanishes and it is simply another set of memories. Then you move on to other kinds of projects. That's life. I quit about ten years ago at age 72 for various reasons. I don't miss it at all, and don't think about it much.

• I don't really have much that compares to what you hard guys have. Was a weekend warrior that hung around on the fringe of the real climbers.

Nearly got the chop from a refrig block on Tahquitz; next day a young woman was chopped by the same block. Route was Sahara Terror.

Had a friend take a fall from about 20 feet up on a thin 10c at Suicide; his three pieces ripped and I caught him like a baby in my arms. Force drove me backwards into the talus, puncturing the back of my skull on a pointy bit. An EMT and ER doc on a route next to us patched me up after I regained consciousness and we proceeded to walk to the car and drove to the ER in Hemet.

Maybe a few more good times I'll think of later.

But nah, as Scot wrote, climbing is now just happy memories although I'll thruch up a .6 or .8 once or twice a year if chance permits.

• shoulder is trashed from work. I suspect a torn rotator cuff. I have gotten out a few times this fall on 5.7 ish stuff but certainly not healthy or happy about it. ice season is starting. pinnacle gully on Mt Washington went today. I hope to have an ice season but likely will not be chomping at the bit to get out. ease into it and hope for the best with my health.

• I retired to Bishop and climb several times a week, usually, although I've been sidelined with house proj's a lot lately. I'm no superstar, but I get up 10's regularly. My goal is to on-sight a couple of prime 10d's in the Gorge this season. We'll see how it goes! Still love the sport and plan on doing it for as long as I can and it's fun. I'm 57, btw.

• I'm 61 and still climb as often as possible. I boulder at a local gym 3 days a week to maintain fitness, and climb outside a few times a month.

Surprisingly i am still climbing near my peak level on trad, onsighting 5.11+ and occasional 5.12. It helps that my local crag has a lot of new route potential, which always inspires me to climb better

• @jgill said in Anbody out there actually climb anymore?:

It's a great activity when it's still pleasurable, but once you leave it you might find its seductive appeal slowly vanishes and it is simply another set of memories. Then you move on to other kinds of projects. That's life. I quit about ten years ago at age 72 for various reasons. I don't miss it at all, and don't think about it much.

What is mind after all?

A container that fills up and empties, then refills again!

• I used to be out at Castle Rock SP pretty often when I lived in the Bay. Would make it up to Yosemite as much as I could. In the Valley a couple times a month now, mostly cragging.

• Just back from the gym. Tonight I 1-hung the orange route. Total crimp-fest and I almost sent it!!!!!!

Winter up here is great. It's way too wet and cold to climb, so we can go to the gym and trade lies about the old days while we toprope the easier routes and pretend that if the weather wasn't so shabby we'd be out crushing. And then go to the brewpub across the street from the gym and trade even wilder lies.

• I confess to climbing a 5.7 at Idaho's City of Rocks this June, although I haven't led anything but an easy 5.6 there last year.

The road to climbing Hell is paved with a harness & a pack full of gear.

DSCF0660.JPG

And here I am, about to make the transition from easy layback to easy slab.

DSCF0662.JPG

• @FritzRay said in Anbody out there actually climb anymore?:

I confess to climbing a 5.7 at Idaho's City of Rocks this June,

Fukkin wimp. Last night I sent the orange route at the gym. Felt like at least 11+.

Of course, at my age (slightly greater than yours) a lot of climbs feel like 11+....

• Tony (over 70, sorry to out you tony) leading at Alabama Hills a month ago:

t.jpg

It's possible that I used a little creative camera angle modification on the above photo.

That same trip I lead Bananarama that was one of the most satisfying leads of my life, even going to much much harder stuff bitd. Effing stellar climb. Always chasing the HUGE grades, it's 5.8.

Here's Blitzo's photo of Bananarama link to Mountain Project. That's not me climbing. I couldn't pass up that photo, but I'll happily take it down on request. Climber????

alt text

Blitzo's photo of Bananarama link to Mountain Project.

• @was-dar Hi Darwin. Good to see you back online here, and best wishes for the upcoming new year.

• @David-Harris
    Likewise, it's nice seeing you on this forum. I'll send you an email.

• last week took this shot soloing 1,000ft WI3
    IMG_3241.jpg

• @NickG said in Anbody out there actually climb anymore?:

soloing

Could swear I see screws, rope and belayer.

• I always wear a harness with 3 screws when ice soloing. Tag line is in the pack. This route requires rappelling. Belayer is Sara, her leader Katie is climbing a variation to my left.