Jim Bridwell's Hammer MIA

• Some years ago I bought a prototype Bridwell hammer for a fundraiser for Jim on the taco. I passed it along down the road for others to use. It has since disappeared. It was signed by the bird, so there is no mistaking it.

It was not my intent for this hammer to sit in someone else's collection. If you or someone you know has this hammer, send it back to me or to Ken at the YCA so he can put it in the museum. Post up here you did the right thing and are not hoarding it.

Here are relevant threads from the taco:

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/985976/Jim-Bridwell-Hammer-for-sale-Supertopo-only

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/990887/Jim-Bridwells-Hammer

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/1727153/Bridwell-Hammer-Crisis-Inversion

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=1649699&msg=1727171#msg1727171

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=1101055&msg=1425289#msg1425289

This will be cross posted to other forums. I don't do the facebook thing and am not in the current taco group there. If anyone is, cross post this thread there.

• @The-Gnome said in Vintage Gear:

This all started when I secretly objected to @johntp calling "Ticklers" "Whammers".

I started calling hammers "whammers" when I picked up a prototype Bridwell wall hammer during a fundraiser. I sent it down the road. ST's Mayor of JT and Mike had it for a while, but don't know who has it now. It is a beast.

• "This all started when I secretly objected to @johntp calling "Ticklers" "Whammers".

The Gnome-

Here is the ST thread on which I started using the "whammer" term.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/990887/Jim-Bridwells-Hammer

• @johntp

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

What's happenin' w/that whammer hammer modern day, eh?

• @toby said in Vintage Gear:

@johntp

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

What's happenin' w/that whammer hammer modern day, eh?

No clue. It was meant to be passed around the ST campfire; it appears somewhere down the line it was kept by someone for whatever reason. It was signed by Jim and the ST threads give providence of authenticity.

• @johntp

Some people's children. Sigh... Nefarious!! Shanghaii'd and hog tied. Outlandish disgrace and debauchery. But surely the investigative has some clues? 😢

• @toby said in Vintage Gear:

Some people's children. Sigh... Shanghaii'd and hog tied. Outlandish disgrace and debauchery. But surely the investigative has some clues?

I never really kept track of it, trusting the ST community to keep the thread alive as it moved on down the road.. I know the first two or three people that used it, but then it vanished from ST.

• @johntp

Where's the Whammer!??

You should use the 'Net to track down the hammer, btw. Not because any 'vetting' by ST increases it's authenticity providence or value but rather because it was signed by Bird Man, Dude!

There are obviously people w/time on their hands. An army ready in the making. Just need a bit of organizing. But maybe more than you'd imagine already have some clue or two about search and rescue, eh? Should be doable to put together the links in the custody chain.

To which ultimate end I am forking this to new topic. 👍

• BTW, I didn't post all those links expecting any one to read them, just to establish some credibility for the thread.

• @johntp said in Jim Bridwell's Hammer MIA:

BTW, I didn't post all those links expecting any one to read them, just to establish some credibility for the thread.

Indubitably. RPU Management is a hundred percent behind this effort (see post above dated Aug. 31) and waiving the no ST back link policy for this thread, provided the links are relevant to tracking down Bridwell's Whammer.

This has been discussed previously in a Gearhead thread about ice and piton hammers. I have merged those prior posts into this thread to provide additional context.

Now, let's pool our collective resources, set the hounds loose and track down Bridwell's Whammer Hammer! 🔨

Last Known Whereabouts

1. Well, we know Todd Gordon blessed it before passing on. Can anybody in comms with Todd confirm where it went after it left his hands?

2. Post above mentions "Mayor of JT and Mike had it for a while". We all know who the Mayor of JT is but there are a lot of Mikes out there. Can you be more specific?

People, please, please, please follow up this post with #3 in the chain if you know anything about the last seen whereabouts of this hammer. Approximate dates could be helpful too in order to provide some chronology to the search.

This is a serious thread. Please do not clutter it up w/off topic banter so as to maintain focus on the hammer. Let's get this into the museum where it belongs. Thanks bunches. 🐕

• Hey toby, you should note you've pulled previous posts on other threads and put them here. Although if people look at the dates of the posts, they would get that.

Last I knew of either "Banquo" or "mucci" had it.

To all out there, I'm not so concerned about it myself. I let go of ownership when I sent it down the road. Thing is, it should be in the YCA museum.

I discussed the hammer with Doug Robinson after it fell in my hands. He recollected it as a prototype from his days with Jim.

So, it is not only Jim's hammer, but a one of a kind piece. Nobody but a climber would truly appreciate it, although some luddites might pay big $$. Given the folks that I knew did have it, I don't think any of them would do such a thing. I think it's just sitting collecting dust somewhere.

Kinda looking for the horse after I've closed the barn doors, but it just hit me this morning that I should take the effort to find out where it is.

Hey toby, you should note you've pulled previous posts on other thread and put them here.

Indeed I have, as explained above:

@toby said in Jim Bridwell's Hammer MIA:

This has been discussed previously in a Gearhead thread about ice and piton hammers. I have merged those prior posts into this thread to provide additional context.

@johntp said in Jim Bridwell's Hammer MIA:

Last I knew of either "Banquo" or "mucci" had it.

So... anybody know who the heck either of these folks are by name or other means of contact?

• toby- missed your comment about merging.

I used to have Mike's email addy, but searching my contacts can't find it.

• @johntp

Spoke w/Todd earlier today via phone. Todd knows thousands of folks in the real. He's hopefully going to try to login later and see if he can help provide any insights.

Last known sounds like it was more recent than "Mike" though. So we should focus on tracking those ava's down, eh?

• @toby said in Jim Bridwell's Hammer MIA:

@johntp

Spoke w/Todd earlier today via phone. Todd knows thousands of folks in the real. He's hopefully going to try to login later and see if he can help provide any insights.

Todd sent it to me after he and Lynne had it. From there I sent it to Mike. Mike used it, fixed the handle and sent it on. So Todd is unlikely to have any input. Mike was a taco regular, so anyone from the Bay Area is likely to know him. Can't find his moniker on any other climbing forums, not to say he doesn't post somewhere.

• @toby said in Jim Bridwell's Hammer MIA:

@johntp said in Jim Bridwell's Hammer MIA:

BTW, I didn't post all those links expecting any one to read them, just to establish some credibility for the thread.

Indubitably. RPU Management is a hundred percent behind this effort (see post above dated Aug. 31) and waiving the no ST back link policy for this thread, provided the links are relevant to tracking down Bridwell's Whammer.

Now, let's pool our collective resources, set the hounds loose and track down Bridwell's Whammer Hammer! 🔨

Last Known Whereabouts

1. Well, we know Todd Gordon blessed it before passing on. Can anybody in comms with Todd confirm where it went after it left his hands?

2. Post above mentions "Mayor of JT and Mike had it for a while". We all know who the Mayor of JT is but there are a lot of Mikes out there. Can you be more specific?

People, please, please, please follow up this post with #3 in the chain if you know anything about the last seen whereabouts of this hammer. Approximate dates could be helpful too in order to provide some chronology to the search.

This is a serious thread. Please do not clutter it up w/off topic banter so as to maintain focus on the hammer. Let's get this into the museum where it belongs. Thanks bunches. 🐕

Did a bit of digging thru those threads. From best I can grok:

1. December 21, 2009: Mungeclimber and Mucci used it on "Premeditated".

2. Jan 21, 2012: It seems to have found its way back to Mike and used on "Crisis Inversion"?

3. Mar 2, 2013: Mungeclimber posts query inquiring about the hammer. No response from Mike.

TokerVillian replies that it is on Ebay. Maybe serious, maybe joking? @Toker-V Will you please clarify? Thx.

4. Sep 9, 2014: Raffie posts query inquiring about the hammer. No response from Mike.

A few additional posts in that thread but no mention of where the hammer may have gone from there. Since $50 was supposed to be donated to use it, whoever was "managing" that fund and getting the ducats to Jim may still have a clue? Who might that have been?

• @toby

The request for contributions pretty much went by the wayside. I think one contribution was made, don't know of any others. There was some confusion as to wether to send the $ to me or Todd. Todd had access to Jim, so I think I left it at that. Both of us had other, more important things in our lives to take care of at the time.

If some schmuck sold it on ebay, karma will get them. I knew it could come out that way, so no surprise if it did. Ron was probably kidding around; I'd like to hear if it was jest or truth.

• @johntp man....I don't know what to say. Johntp has been so helpful to myself, the late Jim bridwell, and the climbing community. Hope someone coughs up the hammer..it's a beast...Jim was all proud of it. Miss him. Lots of love and gratitude to johntp and my climbing brothers and sisters.. let's find this damn hammer! Someone from Yosemite had it last, I believe.

• @todd-gordon

Todd, glad to see you here. I edited my post above, so you might want to check it out again regarding who managed contributions.

If some schmuck sold it on ebay, karma will get them. I knew it could come out that way, so no surprise if it did. Ron was probably kidding around; I'd like to hear if it was jest or truth.

Well, even so,

• If we can track it to the last honest person then maybe we can shame the next known "caretaker" into returning it.

• If we can confirm it was sold on ebay, then perhaps recover as "stolen property"?

Long shots but:

1. Trying to keep optimistic here.

2. We're hard (wo)men not some pansy arsed bed wetters and we've all pulled off some amazing feats in our day and know the value of dedication and commitment.

Sooo...... let's find this damn hammer! 🐕 👍