New BC Ski Rig

• Neptune Mountaineering still carries a complement of backcountry touring skis, boots and bindings. And, yes, we are the last and only (I think) shop in the country that still offers waxable B/C skis. We bring them in direct from Norway because none of the major s
    ki companies bring them into the country any more.

We have 75mm leather boots from Crispi and Alpina and bindings from Voile.

The snow is falling and he touring is going off so get your ass out here and try on some boots.

Mal

• @MalDaly

Would that I could. What do you think of the Alpina Alaska 75mm? If it fits, looks like the right boot for my purposes.

Also, I've been asked why I went 3 pin in lieu of NNN. My perception is 3 pins allow better downhill control. Never used NNN, so I dunno.

• @MalDaly You should posts this summary in the Gearhead forum, just so folks know for the future. Be a bit more visible there, eh?

@johntp You lived Sierra East Side? Do you know Urmas?

• @toby said in New BC Ski Rig:

@johntp You lived Sierra East Side? Do you know Urmas?

Didn't live there, but spent a lot of time there. It's a long story, met Doug thru friends and ended up hanging with him and the Bishop locals a lot.

Would have loved to have lived on the east side.

• John? I used to tele-ski a lot, but haven't since 2005 & now I am suddenly 70 year old & have developed a severe allergy to snow, cold feet, runny noises, & fogged goggles. I still have my large duffle of tele boots & clothing. I think we gave my ancient Atomic tele skis away. Anyway, I have a pair of 3-pin leather Asolo Extreme boots in great shape, & a much newer AD 2002 pair of plastic boots. I can't think of the brand. I'm happy to give you either or both of those for the cost of Priority Mail shipping to you, if my average feet match yours?

I didn't see your foot size in any of your posts? Are you willing to share that private & sensitive information?

• @FritzRay

Thanks for the offer, I've got some boots on order. Depending on if they fit or not, I may take you up on it iff'n they are size 41-42 ish.

• Big Sky Mountain Products has the best value for skins.
    Made in Montana by skiers.

I've used BD and G3 skins in the past, and the BSMP are better quality wise (esp. glue) and certainly cheaper.

Big Sky Mountain Products

• @WyoRockMan

Thanks man. Good to see you posting up on this forum.

• John, I have those same bindings. Love them!. too bad I am not in love with the skis they are on or the beat out boots I have....

• @NickG said in New BC Ski Rig:

John, I have those same bindings. Love them!. too bad I am not in love with the skis they are on or the beat out boots I have....

The Alpina Alaska boots are really nice. Haven't actually used them yet (dammit), but they fit well. Softer than the Asolo Extremes in the upper, but seem to have enough torsional rigidity to get the job done going down while being more comfortable skinning up.

The Madshus skis are pretty sweet as well. Same as the Karhu 10th Mountains.