Social experiment.

• One of the guys at work has a bunch of fake C notes. they clearly say PLAY MONEY NOT LEGAL TENDER on them but if you crumple them up just right they look pretty legit. last week I put one on the ground next to a visiting sub contractors truck. It was gone when he left and he never said a word... yesterday I planted 3 of them in porta johns @ a horse show. these rigs were very nasty. all three bill gone in 3 min... How far would you dive for a C note ? I know for certain if I found a real one on a jobsite I would ask everyone who's it was..

• @NickG

Unfortunately, most would lie and lay claim as theirs. So being "honest" is sometimes a tough call? Now if I knew somebody had lost it, like they were grumping about it, then no contest. I guess it might be a bit dependent upon the general character of the crew you're working with. I've had to work w/some pretty low life types in my day so maybe I'd just keep my mouth shut? But then again the shortages of others are no excuse for one's own, so one could always take the high road, know they did the right thing, and not worry about the transgressions/karma of others who may choose differently. But lest we be too judgemental scarcity can definitely affect perspective. Busting arse and working hard does not necessarily mean you are food secure nowadays. Any of us think we may not do things we otherwise would not after a few days not eating .... have likely never gone a few days w/o eating.

Situational ethics. Perhaps some philosophical thought food potential here that @jgill enjoy pondering and chiming in on? A dilemma fer' sure, fer' sure. Does pose for an interesting experiment. Keep us posted, eh?

P.S.; I am going to move this thread to "Big Questions". Seems like a forum for "Discuss and debate social issues" would make a good fit. ✌

• I only had 3 of them to play with this weekend. the guy who has them is really cool and gave me a $300.00 bonus even though he is not the boss and just a working stiff like me 😉 we had one in our porta john @ work and the septic cleaner guy picked it out, cleaned it off and left it on top of the urinal. I was supprised at how fast they went at the horse show. A nasty trick for certain but seems like harmless fun.. You have to have a sense of humor and know you have been had if you dive in for one of those things.

• @NickG

Tells one much about that man's character. A rare find in this day and age. Maybe experiment w/some different locations that are less of a nasty trick and more observable?

• I found a $20.00 in the parking lot while leaving a dear friends memorial event this summer. Since there were about 150 people there & most were leaving or had left, I took the high ground, went back in & mentioned finding it to several of the family members & the head "worker bee," who had mostly put the event together.

I told them if anyone mentioned losing a $20.00, I would be glad to return it, if they knew the serial number. Yeah, yeah, I do have a dark sense of humor.

• @FritzRay What, doesn't everyone memorize the serial numbers on their bills?

• I had an associate who could total a very long column of numbers on a printed report faster than I could read them.

I have followed his lead and only memorize the cereal {sic} numbers of $100 bills or larger!

• @NickG , hey there say, nick... oh my, man oh man... 😮 (as to the trick) ...

• I admit its a childish trick but its kind of fun to act like a kid once in awhile at my age..

• The Secret Service better not read this.

• Saw a $5 on the coffee counter a while back.. turned out to be a JW tract

• ron. Aparently my friend bought 40k of the fake 100s on ebay for $48.00 pretty certain secret service could find that auction if they were interested???

• Why not up the ante and try passing them off at retail establishments? You think it's funny to imagine someone fishing what they think is a hundred dollar bill out of a gross portopotty? I think it would be funny to imagine you explaining "it was just to see if people were paying attention - you know how lazy retail workers can be...."

But seriously - Not that I ever want to see something besides poop floating in a porto, but in the times I have found money, if there is a any reasonable chance of finding the owner, I will attempt to do so.

• Found a hundred and some small amount of bills on the sidewalk near my apartment in NYC. Nobody anywhere near. I picked it up, and kept an eye on the area, as I could see it from my apartment. I know I thought about making a sign and placing it on the tree near where I found it, but, to be honest, I probably would have "gotten busy and forgotten" to do that. Nonetheless, within a short time, I noticed a lady in that area and could have sworn she was looking at the ground as if... I ran down and asked, and she said "Ummm, no..." Can't remember what she was doing, but I told her what I had found.

A guy nearby overheard and called out "You found...? He was digging in his pocket at the time. Turned out he was the super of the building and had done a BIG cabinet installation for one of the tenants, who had tipped him $150. He said "I swear I lost it! Told me about the tip, and that he'd gone to get a haircut and spent X, and then a sandwich for lunch and spent X." Clearly it was the truth, but I can't help that I was kind of disappointed to be handing it over - hahah. Today, I would probably feel much more willing to do the right thing with grace.

Later he came over with a nice card from his wife and a bottle of wine as a gift. The card really was nice, but being an alcoholic in recovery, I couldn't help but feel the joke was on me to be gifted a bottle of wine.

• Found $100 and some dollars on 6th Ave in midtown. Looked around and saw nobody in any distress. Finders keepers.

• Had laid a $20 on the diner table when I was eating with a group of AAers BITD. It was to pay for my meal, but people weren't getting up to go, so time went by. Later, I realized it was missing. Stupid me - so timid I was afraid to announce I had misplaced and ask did anyone see it. PTSD - body telling me that someone probably did take it and did I want to confront that? (Answer: no).

More time passed, and I noticed a guy across the table's eyes get wide. Saw him moving like he was sliding something over with his foot. Saw him reach down, and put something in his wallet. I assume it was the $20 which had somehow fallen on the floor.

It was too late for me to do anything now, because now I KNEW it would be a confrontation, and I just didn't want to go there. The sad thing was that it was "the guy" I had a huge crush on who had ( I assume) picked up the money.