finally, a 'neebee' tech-help-me, thread...

• say, super-taco crowd... i am so glad to be in the 'new fold' here... just super busy (local friend obligations to elders) well, here, as always with the ol' supertopo-- HELP!

(I DID do some online searches and found all kinds of stories, as to this) ... it seems i may need my family (mom's) help, as to this-- as in i need to go the dealer???
    HERE IS MY POST-- the VAT deal on my 'used chevy colorado' truck, from ex son in law (and his gal) ... has after a year (it is 2007) started to LOCK engine so i can not start it...

first time-- i was shocked... nothing was supposed to be wrong with it-- and i was in the middle of helping my older friend, shop... food and all... decided to eat, and, for a whim, try it again-- it started... (i was clue'less then, though) ...

then--next time, in my drive... (by then, i saw the 'lighted car-lock button' ) ... after ten minutes it started...

however, as of recent-- it happened the 'night before' and now, last night-- i waited around TWO stores, for the two different situations, and the first time, i was going to sleep in the truck, in parking lot, until i could start it) ...

second time (it was not midnight, as in other case) it was at about eight-- so after two failed attempts, i called my friend, to leave her warm home, and run out to get me:
    we used up more than ten minute in parking lot and i tried my truck and it worked... but, she followed me home, just to be nice...

so-- i read some folks, get a good mechanic and they disable the thing, by cutting the wires... they show how to do it...

others go to the dealers... about ?? 400 bucks, i think, and they can?? fix it... new keys?

some say... reprogram it your self, also was an option-- but?? will this really 'stick'?

PLEASE share if this happened to you, and what, please, did you do???

i have quite a few links, but, i did not save them-- i just printed out info, to show ex son in law-- the owner of the car shop... here...

• neebster:

I'm clueless. Are you getting some kind of light on the dash? I don't know what VAT is.

BUMPers for the neebster. Any of you guys out there that can help her?

• To summarize what the neebster is saying, apparently her truck has some kind of sensor locking her ignition out. Maybe it is something to do with the emission system. What I can't wrap my hands around is that the problem appears sporadic.

• Yowzers! Ya' gots to get to grips w/Internet searching. I'm busy w/other things but maybe here's some RPU help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRPsasrZMZA

Seems like a perennial problem w/these rigs. Above is not a permanent fix but maybe help keep you from being dead in parking lot waiting on help from friends you had to wake up in the middle of the night, eh?

Here's another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0SiUYNp38M

Good luck. 😜

• Yikes

I was thinking of buying a Chevy Colorado

Zen?

Gonna try for a 1968El Camino instead

Good luck neebee

I think that video Toby posted should be helpful

But ...

What will fix it long term

Who knows

• @johntp , hey there say, john... i know, huh...i never HEARD of such a thing... thought i was just getting a new truck, from ex son in law (never did me wrong, etc) ... but-- never knew of all the 'tech updates' since the 'old days' ⭕

i remember when my now ex, and now deceased, husband has the BEST old chevy... simple, only... wow... he always said chevy was good, too...

course, i do not know if he ever ran into THESE... they were the best mechanics, ever, however, when tech stuff started appearing, his younger brother went to SCHOOL for all that ,and eventually became a teacher at their local college... ⭕
    they all since died, due to health issue... 😞
    so-- can't ask the brother, 😞
    thanks for caring... oh my... 😞

• @johntp --oh, say, johntp ... is some, vehicle 'anti theft device, 😮 system... man oh man... 😞

• @toby , say, thanks so much... yep, i too, have been searching all this... the worse case, it seems is it might need a WHOLE new (forgot what it is-- steering column, thing? ignition, something or other) ?? 😮 or-- as simple as new battery in key fob?

or--worse, reprogram, new keys, a few other things... oh my...

sure hope someone had this trouble and fixed it, and can add something more hope'ful, oh my... 😞

thanks so much, toby and guys... happy good eve to all...

• @zBrown , and a good 'hey there say', to you zBrown... sad, i love my new truck... 😞 some info sites say, sensors in all these 'modern things' wear out by ten years? and need new ones??? 😮 ---innocent ol' me , just thought it was a truck... 😮

• @neebee Yes, the new stuff is full of computerized electronics, no small portion of which are dedicated towards Vehicle Anti-Theft. Choices were made to favor insurance companies loss prevention over legitimate owners being inconvenienced so sometimes you get screwed, blued, and tattooed when this stuff gets confused.

My bro-in-law is a career mechanic. My 91' truck, for e.g., requires three modules interacting correctly to start. Modern stuff is up to over 70. So, a capacitor goes wonky here, vibration rattles a solder loose there... and ye' be left high and dry.

Hopefully such does not occur while yer' 250 miles off the beaten track, sans any cell service. Indeed, I know four wheeling enthusiasts who favor old school, all analog for just such reasons. And maybe they be Jeep nuts to boot, and hence need no additional excuses or explanations.....

The electronic stuff sure is nice for altitude compensation if you live in/near the mountains though. ⛰ 🏔

For whatever that may be worth.... Probably less than $0.02....

• @toby --- hey there, say, all... say-- i got three days here, at home, that i NEED for prayer and fasting... taking care of some of these tech needs and other hard stuff, at home... '

HAD TO LET you all know, so if you don't see me (now, that i am finally in the ol' fold, here and happy to be back in sync) -- you will KNOW that i am okay, and i will be back, in , swimming with you all, by the end of the week....

will i have to sneak in fast and post something, so i will NOT lose my 'status whatever' thing, here???

please, let me know, and i will GET back, sneak in fast, with some cat and pup-dog pics... hee hee, patty ann marie is long over-due, to show up here... 🙂

and-- the cats are nearly all better, too...
    love and god bless and happy good eve, to all!
    do NOT forget me... >:D<

• @neebee Reputation scores are a running, cumulative summation of both up and down votes. So, presuming you don't incur an onslaught of negative public opinion whilst away.... you should be fine. 😉

Hope you get the VAT issue sorted. Take care. 🐕

• sounds like something to do with the security system??? that happened to isa's ford focus when she parked it for more than 14 days. one thing you can try is dissconnecting the battery for 30 min?

• @NickG said in finally, a 'neebee' tech-help-me, thread...:

sounds like something to do with the security system??? that happened to isa's ford focus when she parked it for more than 14 days. one thing you can try is dissconnecting the battery for 30 min?

Think that's why it clears after a bit of waiting? Like it is a time delay?

• Ooh, ooh Mr. Cotter: VAT = Vehicle Anti-Theft.

• @johntp , hey there say, john, and all! say, update-- truck is at the dealer, just around the corner... well, TURNED out, they said it is NOT the VATS... well--
    i asked her, 'why then, is it turning it on?'... she said, she is giving to the 'big engine' guys, and will let me know on monday... it was DEFINITELY on... i saw the symbol and the lock-- and-- it turned on, after the ten minute, etc, deal...

however, it DID stall, three times, after that, and usually (after the ten minute, wait) it did NOT... oh myyyyyyyyyyy...

well, i still love my truck ,and will see what goes now... at least, i have some ss funds, and if i use it up, i am used to living on next to nothing, so i will be fine! (hee hee, long as the critters do not get fleas, again) ... HAPPY good eve, to all!!! will be back, to run through the post...

got to go eat, first... hee hee... one gets a mite hungry, after fasting... 🙂

sure love you guys!!!! got some neat stuff, to share, too!

• neebs, I wish I knew a good mechanic I could ask for input. Car electronics can do some weird things. Sounds like you just need to run into the right person.

Do you know someone that could check it out and give a more technical explanation of what is going on? No offense, but it is hard to gather from what you say what is happening. Maybe someone with a better technical knowledge could describe it better.

Maybe I missed it, but is the guy you got it from of any help?

• @johntp , say, john, no, they are really able to add much... however, it is at the general motors, of the chevy, so, i reckon, we shall see... i did get a lot of advice, though, that-- if the 'lock thing keeps messing up' -- just get a good mechanic that understands the 'how to' to ' cut the wires ' ... and, they have had no bad results, after that... ... ahhh , i am on an adventure, thank you all so much, for CARING to 'kind of walk through this' with me... 🙂

• hey there say, all... (john, as to restart, and nick, as to battery) ... it sure is a 'stew pot' of so much 'wonder' ...

well, tomorrow, i hope to find out... i did find out that (from my one brother's friend, that is a mechanic, in other state) IF:

with these newer 'tech programmed' vehicles, well, IF you jump-start someones vehicle for them, THIS will do something odd to the 'programming of your on vehicle' (GM only, or not, i am not sure-- he did not make that clear) ...
    and then-- this will trigger the VATS to (at some point) lock
    your engine... 😮

the guy was having customers come in, due to that trouble and yes-- they HAD just done that to 'a car' in need...
    so now, if you newer vehicles--> you have to do the jumper cable system, in a 'different manner' instead (he explained it, but, i did not retain all this) ...

so, the VATS works by a 'ten minute' interval , then RESTART to 'get your engine' going again...
    yet-- never knowing WHEN the engine will be locked, your errands, etc, are always hindered by 'lay overs' (hee hee) for want of a better word... 😞

however: the ten min. wait, should let you start your engine... or:
    the whole thirty minute process of three ten min. 'sessions' is supposed to re'program THE KEY... however,
    yeah, it worked once-- but i can not just take that risk, and be stuck again, for ten or more minutes...

the NEW glitch, now, is this... three times out of the other times, that i DID get the truck through the process' and the LOCK/CAR icon light DID go out (which signifies the VATS, WELL:

instead of starting, it kind of started and stalled out, 😮
    *entirely different than no starting-- so perhaps there is
    something wrong (which GM said they are going to look for monday, with the 'engine guys' ...

thus-- the mystery is... would THAT 'thing' be triggering the VATS mess, or, is it even possible, to do so, ??

(VATS shut down--barring wrong key thievery--it is supposed to be a 'mess up' in the wires through vats's 'thin wires' in steering/ignition, or, the key programing, or moving of the battery behind taken out/whatever, or, someone trying to get in with wrong key... )

so-- stay tuned, for the answer... hopefully...
    or-- i will look for someone to 'cut the wires' (if it really IS the vats) ... though you do NOT want this to be done in a 'wrong' way, or you mess up the wrong wires, 😮
    to the 'door locks' 🌊

happy good eve... you are all wonderful for just trying
    to encourage me, and find info...
    you are helping me for more than you will ever know!!!

• @neebee said in finally, a 'neebee' tech-help-me, thread...:

hey there say, all... (john, as to restart, and nick, as to battery) ... it sure is a 'stew pot' of so much 'wonder' ...

well, tomorrow, i hope to find out... i did find out that (from my one brother's friend, that is a mechanic, in other state) IF:

with these newer 'tech programmed' vehicles, well, IF you jump-start someones vehicle for them, THIS will do something odd to the 'programming of your on vehicle' (GM only, or not, i am not sure-- he did not make that clear) ...
    and then-- this will trigger the VATS to (at some point) lock
    your engine... 😮

Yes. This was mentioned in one of those videos I linked above. Crazy bullshit. One reason I hang onto my 91'. 🚚