What Book Are You Reading Now (round 4.5)

• I went through a period of not being able to read for a couple of years, I kept buying books that people recommended, I am a non-fiction reader with a few exceptions. I have a stack now of unread books, but I am always looking for more.
    Please share your reading adventures...

• @Tobia

Mayhaps check out Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Prisig. 🐕

@zBrown and @jgill may be up for some discussion https://forums.redpointuniversity.com/topic/184/anything-interesting-related-to-philosophy-mind-spirituality-religion-science-mathematics-etc 😎

• just finished this.
    IMG_5023.jpg
    currently reading this.
    IMG_5021.jpg

• Nick? I have a lot of respect for John Long, & the title is certainly interesting. Was the book interesting?

I finished Wallace Stegner's 1971, Pulitzer Prize winner book "Angle of Repose" today. It is 569 pages of fiction & history about the suddenly one-legged author at age 56, researching & writing a history of his grandmother, who was a "well-connected" east-coast artist & writer. She married a mining engineer in the 1870's, & moved west to a somewhat sad lifetime of lost opportunity, & a failed marriage, that could not end.

Ok. It was a downer, but I read it for the western history. Sigh.

IMG_3402.JPG

• @FritzRay said in What Book Are You Reading Now (round 4.5):

Ok. It was a downer, but I read it for the western history. Sigh.

Downer or not, it is a good book and worth finding and reading.

• @David-Harris said in What Book Are You Reading Now (round 4.5):

Downer or not, it is a good book and worth finding and reading.

Yes! It has not been reprinted of late. I could only find used copies, but they were reasonably-priced.

The author's artist/writer grandmother spent years in South Idaho just upstream of Boise, while her husband promoted a project to irrigate the sagebrush-covered fertile soils downstream from Boise.

That project had its ups & downs, but failed in the great depression which hit the U.S. in the early 1890's. A decade later, the Bureau of Reclamation built the dam & canals that made the idea real. However, by then the author's grandmothers marriage had failed, &, her youngest daughter drowned in the only canal that had been dug.

• not finished with stories from the dirt but its a gud one. Glen denneys book was also good but short stories that often leave you haning. I wish there was more of that one.

• I enjoyed Valley Walls. Other Yosemite climbing history I have read in the past & found worthwhile:

Ordeal By Piton by Steve Roper

Camp 4 by Steve Roper

The Vertical World of Yosemite by Galen Rowell, I read that while living in the TMCC parking lot.

Also the fictional A Stance of Wonder by Mark Rodell.

I just started Pilgrims of the Vertical by J.E. Taylor. Anyone read that?