Anything interesting related to philosophy, mind, spirituality, religion, science, mathematics, etc.

• ☠ ☠ ☠

Well, I tried. Time to quit.

• Well Professor Gill

You did

I am actually getting ready to read through the "mind" thread

Lots of linkage which could keep me entertained for some time

BTW

I was raised a Southern California Catholic and dropped out before high school

• I had my seventeenth birthday during a trip to the Soviet Union, officially atheistic in those days. On the day itself our Intourist “chaperone” had a birthday cake brought to our table. After I blew out the candles she asked me if I was religious. Not much of a church goer, but also afraid of the gulag, I meekly said, “my family is Methodist.”

Then this good, party representative, a card carrying communist party member, risked a lot more than I had, and said “Good as long as you have something!”

We were in Tallinn Estonia for the weekend, and not in the CCCP proper, and I have wondered if she just felt freer to speak there.

• How about the value of metaphysics. Does it have any?

🤔

• How about gunfights and beer? 😴

• @jgill said in Anything interesting related to philosophy, mind, spirituality, religion, science, mathematics, etc.:

How about the value of metaphysics. Does it have any?

Despite several years studying philosophy at the undergraduate level, I have no idea whether metaphysics has any value. Well, other than that by going on and studying it at the graduate level one might be able to find a career teaching it at a university somewhere.

On the other hand, I just finished reading "The Evidence of Things Not Seen", a short chapter in W.H. Murray's book Mountaineering in Scotland. Despite the title, I don't think Bill Murray cared much about metaphysics. I suspect that where Samuel Johnson kicked a rock, Murray would have climbed one, and then echoed Dr Johnson's words... "I refute it thus!"

• I agree. I'm on a philosophy forum now and the metaphysics is thick and murky and never seems to lead anywhere beyond the poster's initial position. You wouldn't believe the arguments about "infinity." I think a major problem, which I brought up several times on ST, is that some concepts are so poorly defined, like "being." And then I hear something to the effect, "Well, it hasn't been done before!"; therefore it cannot be done. (I used to argue with Largo about this related to artificial consciousness) 😵

• @jgill Have you read any of Bill Murray's writing? Maybe you even knew him? (I sure wish I had known him.)

Maybe this belongs in some "climbing writing" thread, but when I saw your question about the value of metaphysics I ran straight to Murray. Why? Because he combines spirituality with in-your-face reality like no one else I know of. Acknowledging on the one hand that there are things we don't understand but which stir our souls, and, on the other hand, that getting your ass in the fire (or the freezer) is maybe the best way to see those things.

He and his regular partners pretty much invented hard winter climbing in the pre-WW2 period. Then he was captured in North Africa and spent a bit over three years in prison camps in Germany and Italy, some of which time was more boring than anything else, some of which was brutal almost beyond belief.

Anyone who is the least bit interested in climbing history (to say nothing about metaphysics) should order a copy of Mountaineering in Scotland tomorrow. Or tonight.

He wrote a lot more. Fiction, climbing non-fiction, guidebooks... But Mountaineering in Scotland is probably the best place to start.

• Thank you, David. No, I haven't read him, but I plan to after what you have said.

• @jgill You can probably find it on Amazon as a two-for-one with Undiscovered Scotland. Some of his other writing is now hard to find, but that one is still readily available.

Brief bio is that he was born a Brit, but lost his parents and was raised in Glasgow and, as a young man, discovered the hills, then the rocks, then the mountains of Scotland. Okay, Nothing in Scotland rises above 4,500 ft, but I've climbed there in the winter, and can testify that yes, winter mountaineering is as real there as anywhere else.

Enlisted after the start of the war, captured in North Africa, endured the hardships of the prison camps, and eventually returned home and took up where he left off. Climbed in Europe and the Himalaya, and made a living as a writer.