Meanwhile back at the ranch

• Uh,..... I was hoping to post a photo but I guess I need a tutorial.

Anyway, it was a shot of indian paintbrush at my ranch It is the second wettest spring on record. According to my rough survey there are well over a quarter million bunches on my spread.

The wettest BTW was 1876. I wonder if it made the grass grow really high enabling the stealth of the Indians at the Little Bighorn on June 25.

• You can click the little upload arrow above the text-entry box to upload photos, if it is a url to a photo just type ![some caption](https://path/to/my/photo.jpg)

• @halfwit Sorry, I don't understand half that.

• @Toker-V

See Item #4 Forums FAQ

Hope that helps 😎

• Even the "expert" at Verizon couldn't do it.

FAQ 4 is not very clear

• @Toker-V When you click the "Reply" button, a text box appears for you to write in, complete with blinking cursor.

Directly above the text box is a row of icons. The icon on the very end (that looks like a pile of dog doo but is actually a tiny dark cloud) is the one you want.

Hover your cursor over it until the words "Upload Image" appears. Click it. That should take you to where you can browse for photos on your computer.

Find the photo you want, click on it, then click the "open" button at the bottom of the screen. It will load your photo for you.

• @L-Aura said in Meanwhile back at the ranch:

@Toker-V When you click the "Reply" button, a text box appears for you to write in, complete with blinking cursor.

Directly above the text box is a row of icons. The icon on the very end (that looks like a pile of dog doo but is actually a tiny dark cloud) is the one you want.

Hover your cursor over it until the words "Upload Image" appears. Click it. That should take you to where you can browse for photos on your computer.

Find the photo you want, click on it, then click the "open" button at the bottom of the screen. It will load your photo for you.

Thank you for the help L-Aura. It is good to have a different set of words explain it.

Alternatively, you may also "drag & drop" images from your computer's file browser into the compose window. A little tip for those with enough screen real estate that they can split, stack, or tile multiple windows.

The example that @halfwit provided using Markdown, should be used in the case of images which are not on you local hard drive, e.g. third party sites such as photo bucket. When doing such, however, please do respect the copyrights of others.

See Forums FAQ #6 for more on Markdown if so desired.

Enjoy! 😎

• IMG_0013.jpg

• @Toker-V Ha! Nice Indian Paint Brush amidst the Great Basin Sage!

Winner, winner, chicken dinner 👍

I am going to move this thread to the "General Discussion" category, since it is not actually a trip report. Looking forward to your actual reports now that you have image uploads sorted 🙂

• @Toker-V Pretttttty!

• Drag and drop test from the ranch...

onions_ss.png

upload version...

onions_ss.png

Screenshot to reduce size (overlimit error direct from Photos 1.8-2.3mb native) was still too big. Further reduced to 9" x locked native aspect saved as PNG @579kb

Can anyone tell any difference in the two photos??

• @RussWalling Not to my eyes. At first I thought maybe, barely, slight edge to the first. On second assessment, I then thought not.

• @toby I'm seeing the bottom one as being a bit "brighter" overall in exposure... moved them up and down the monitor and up and down in my glasses.... real hard to say though. Drag and drop is a game changer for lobbing in quick pics.

• @RussWalling I am on an Eizo (entry level model) sporting 2560x1440. Just put 'er into sRGB mode and checked again for more color correct view. Still cannot see any difference. Maybe a young buck w/golden eyesight might? But I am guessing not cuz I have been told I have a pretty good eye for such. Hence, if there is, folks are going to have to scrutinize it pretty damn closely to pick it up.

My $0.02, fwiw 😎

Edit: Just took yet another look in "normal" mode. Yeah, maybe just ever a tad brighter on the bottom one.

• @toby Roger that... not enough to worry about since mostly just snapshot type stuff gets posted anyway. I've got to drink some beer now, but will test a bit later with some different formats. What formats does the forum pic uploader desire or accept... not weird stuff like .eps, but maybe .tiff or .psd??

Standard stuff ought to drop though, like .png, .jpg, .gif etc.

• @RussWalling Presently allowing jpeg, png, and bmp, although I may remove the bitmaps. I excluded gif's because I don't want the boards polluted with bunches of animated crap. Work for you??

• Sounds good to me... anyone holding a .gif image, like a logo or something back from the 64 available colors model, can probably update it to a jpeg... one would hope! thanks!

• Well I don't know how I pulled off the one, but now every time I try to choose a photo I get told that the file is too big.
    I tried making an email in medium and then dragging it to my desktop, but get the same.

• @Toker-V File has to be under 2mb I think... it is in the FAQ... but like above, mine were too big when I opened them in Photos... so I took a screen shot and cropped that and saved... just barely too big on a big photo... but real close and should work on something like a 5 x 7 image on your screen. So I opened the cropped screen shot in a photo editing program... on a mac it is Preview. From there I just clicked on "size" and made it about 9" across and it automatically made the height correct. Saved it and it was like 500k, and within the size limit for upload. Drag and drop... Voila!!

Edit: the faq says about 3mb is the max image size to upload

• @RussWalling

Default maximun file size was 2MB. I doubled to 4MB. Later decided to split the difference at 3MB.

Image size itself is another matter. Maximum image size that one may attempt to upload is 5,000 x 5,000 pixels. Images wider than 1520 pixels are resized down to 760 pixels in width. I probably will need to do some additional tweaking so that could become more or less conservative as I get a better feel for site and db growth.

It may be working out that I was a bit too generous (cuz I do enjoy photos of cool places and such). Result being we're getting lots of images without much of any discussion. I've not spent much time on the alternative boards but from what I have observed they seem to be having more actual conversations??

Edit: Have since returned to the defaults. At least until the exponential growth levels off 😉