Climbing was easier in the 1970's.

• On Aug 22 Heidi & I did a pleasant 5 mile hike up to Sawtooth Lake in Idaho's Sawtooth Mtns. I hadn't been there since 1970. In July that year four of us hiked in & started our climbing club at the Wilderness sign-in, when none of us wanted to use our names after all our smart-assed answers on the overly detailed sign-in sheet. Thus was born The Decker Flat Climbing & Frisbee Club. (Decker Flat is a nearby flat.)

A 1971 DFC&FC club gathering in Idaho's Pioneer Range.
    DFCnFC 1971 4th of July.jpg
    In 1970, we were aware our objective 10,190' Mt. Regan had been previously climbed, but we were not burdened by a detailed map, guidebook, topos, internet information on the peak, GPS's, cell phones, or Satellite Rescue Beacons.

Our 1970 detailed map of the area. Decent USGS topo maps of the area were not available until 1972.
    IMG_2313.JPG

It was all so easy. That evening, we decided on a logical route & the next morning we got up & climbed it. Here's the peak & Sawtooth Lake from the north. We scrambled slabs to the right of the largest snowfield to the north ridge on the right, then worked up the ridge.
    IMG_0753.JPG

We only used our Goldline rope in one place. After our best climber Harry rappelled into a notch in the ridge & scrambled up the opposite side, we rigged a Tyrolian Traverse for the rest of us.
    Gordon on the Tyrolian.
    Gordon Mt. Reagan 1970.jpg
    Easy, simple, & a hellava lot more fun than using all the electronic crutches modern climbers appear to need.
    We were all conservationests & we soon realized our club could perform public services. Here's Joe & Gordon stabilizing a dangerously-loose boulder on the summit of Mt. Regan.
    Gordon, Joe Fox Mt. Reagan 1970.jpg

On this trip, Heidi had some bouldering fun. She is not putting any weight on that knee in this photo.
    IMG_0737.JPG

Heidi, rising from Sawtooth Lake.
    IMG_0751.JPG

I contented myself with being the old man with one of the mountains of my youth.
    IMG_0749.JPG

• 20140914_0082.jpg

• @FritzRay

A lil' more help from yer' canine toby trippin' friends... Oh yeah, we be lovin' this stuff up. Yippie yi-yo kiyah!!

20140914_0017.jpg

20140914_0011.jpg

Hosted a foreign exchange student from Italy a few years back. Took him on his first backpacking trip ever into Sawtooth Lake, just before Labor Day. It was an experience for the lad, for sure. All tuckered out coping a rest here.

• @toby Thank youf or posting those pinnacles along the way. There are rivers of course sand below them & likely not a solid rock on any of those towers. The Sawtooths have some great choss!

• @FritzRay Indubitably. At least the view is freakin' awesome fer' sloggin' up the switch backs. 😜

Here's a couple more...

20140914_0033.jpg

20140914_0040.jpg

20140914_0056.jpg

Uhh... did I mention I like the Sawtooths? Or used to. Bit too crowded up modern times but still pretty bitchin' wilderness area to have in one's backyard. Yeah, I am glad I had my day, a bit bitd when there was more freedom in the hills..... ⛰

Enjoy!

• @FritzRay said in Climbing was easier in the 1970's.:

Easy, simple, & a hellava lot more fun than using all the electronic crutches modern climbers appear to need.

Damn right! Why, when we wanted to climb back in the 70s we had to do three-hundred mile approaches and descents, which were uphill both ways! All while carrying hundred pound loads in packs we made ourselves out of old bedsheets. And that was just for day trips.

But, seriously, even though our equipment was primitive by today's standards, it seemed fantastic to us and we had a lot of fun.

All while being soooo stylishly dressed...

David under the Tantalus roof lo-res.jpg

• Cool stories!

• Hmmm. Just got thinking about your thread title.

Climbing was definitely easier (for some of us) in the 1970s, but it is definitely harder in our own 70s.

Thank god there is still beer!

• @David-Harris And decent wines. Heidi & me celebrating our hike & our 31st anniversary in Stanley's Sawtooth Hotel.
    A ray n Dorita.jpg

• @FritzRay Nice! Happy Anniversary! 🎉

Here's some more from along the hike into Sawtooth Lake.

20140914_0101.jpg

• This post is deleted!